The Silver Brumby Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Habeebi
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Silver Brumby Series

Post by Habeebi »

I was wondering if anyone had read the Silver Brumby series as a kid - or even as an adult!?

I read these books when I was about 13 and mad about horses (I still am). They were based on a herd of brumbys (wild horses in Australia - similar to Mustangs in America. The mane character was called Thowra and his mother Bel Bel! I loved these books and am tempted to buy them again and re-read them as an adult and see if I enjoy them just the same.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

My family devoured these books. They are true Australian classics. Entertaining, realistic, even informative, filled with drama, romance and the great wild countryside. Horses with personality-plus yet never truly humanised.

Elyne Mitchell was a superb writer, I think she wrote about 19 Silver Brumby books and lived in the Snowy Mountains region where her inspiration came from. Her non-fiction works are a real insight into Australian heritage but she will always be remember for her wild horses.

There was a TV cartoon series made in the 1990's which was popular and they did reprint the books so I'm sure you will find plenty of material still around if you decide to re-read them.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Sandyshappy

Post by Sandyshappy »

I have read them all and own them all am re reading them Now. They are truly one of the best children's/family books written. They have now just re-released a special Silver Brumby Centenary Edition which is only the first 4 books. buying them all these days is not easy some of them are quite expensive, but so worth it...
bunnyhugger

Post by bunnyhugger »

They were my favourite books when I was a child. They really made me love reading and Elyne Mitchell had a way of really drawing you into the story and visualising it as though you were really there. I collect these books and they are quite difficult to come by and rather expensive, but so worth it. I re-read them from time to time and when I have kids I would like to introduce them to these amazing books.
lindamaree

Post by lindamaree »

I loved these stories when I was younger too. I dont have them anymore unfortunately as I would love to read them again and see how I feel about them now. Last year a beautiful book was published about the stories and alps that Elyne Mitchell described. Its called On the Trail of the Silver Brumby.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”