Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
impbot
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Post by impbot »

Hello, I'm hoping to squeeze more time in for reading, in fact I just finished reading Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore, sequel to Graceling. Highly recommended series!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for fantasy books with a setting of a kingdom era. Adventure and maybe romance would be a plus. I'm looking for young adult novels but I wouldn't mind something more advanced.

Examples are Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue, the series by Kristen Cashore, Goose Girl and the rest of the series by Shannon Hale, and Princess Academy also like Shannon Hale.

If you can't think of anything that fits this description, I would really appreciate any kind of fantasy reccomendation.

Thanks!
sjohnston922
Currently Reading: Seraphina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjohnston922.html

Post by sjohnston922 »

Have you tried The 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey? Its takes on fairy tale kingdoms. The first book is called The Fairy Godmother and follow Elena as she learns how to be a fairy godmother and why certain stories repeat themselves within the kingdom. They are lighter reads then the ones you've mentioned, and has some romance and a lot of humor.

Tamora Pierce would be a good match. She writes a lot kingdom stories. Alana is her most popular series, which is about a girl who wants to be a knight. I can also suggest Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown. Aerin is a princess who fights dragons. She fights to prove her worth, the daughter of a "witchwoman" who died in childbirth, she has never truly been accepted as the princess. Its an older title, but well worth the read.
impbot

Post by impbot »

sjohnston922 wrote:Have you tried The 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey? Its takes on fairy tale kingdoms. The first book is called The Fairy Godmother and follow Elena as she learns how to be a fairy godmother and why certain stories repeat themselves within the kingdom. They are lighter reads then the ones you've mentioned, and has some romance and a lot of humor.

Tamora Pierce would be a good match. She writes a lot kingdom stories. Alana is her most popular series, which is about a girl who wants to be a knight. I can also suggest Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown. Aerin is a princess who fights dragons. She fights to prove her worth, the daughter of a "witchwoman" who died in childbirth, she has never truly been accepted as the princess. Its an older title, but well worth the read.
Thank you for the suggestions, they sound perfect. I'll be checking them all out.
zenewreader

Post by zenewreader »

I know this might be a little cliche by I would go for the Lord of the Rings series if you havent read them already. They are very much "kingdom" oriented with a few subtle love stories mixed in.
redbikechick

Post by redbikechick »

I've just started the third book in a series that combines a lot of battle scenes in the first two installments and focuses more on the love story in the third. The Promise of the Stone Series by Michael Lowe. Appropriate for younger readers too. It combines wizards, sorcerers and daimons in some exciting detailed battle scenes and epic journeys through new lands, all described with vivid imagination.
Th3LadyH

Post by Th3LadyH »

sjohnston922 wrote:Have you tried The 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey? Its takes on fairy tale kingdoms. The first book is called The Fairy Godmother and follow Elena as she learns how to be a fairy godmother and why certain stories repeat themselves within the kingdom. They are lighter reads then the ones you've mentioned, and has some romance and a lot of humor.
The 500 Kingdoms book are a very funny series! Entertaining twists on typical fairy tales. :)

The Chronicles of Prydain series might also be a good read.
Siddharth Kumar

Post by Siddharth Kumar »

A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martins..... This series is the basis for the TV series Game of Thrones in HBO. It has
almost everything: adventure, little romance, a LOT of kingdoms, fantasy,etc.....
Patricia rose

Post by Patricia rose »

I loved Guy Gavriel Kay - The Fionnavar (sp?) Trilogy. Quite violent at times but excellent.
vitormadeira89

Post by vitormadeira89 »

You should take a look at "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. Fantasy with the kingdom setting you wish for. Take a look at his Mistborn Trilogy if you want something with more scope.
Westfaller

Post by Westfaller »

To the OP - you should check out the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. Not necessarily fantasy, but it dwells into many Kingdoms of Great Britain during the time of Alfred the Great. I highly enjoyed the series so far and believe the author is working on the final book or 2.
majesticgoldenrose

Post by majesticgoldenrose »

this is sweeeeeettt! I <3 ingdom books and semi historical like with princes and princesses! you guys are so helpful!
esmileyturtle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esmileyturtle.html

Post by esmileyturtle »

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman took a pretty unique look at kingdom settings. She really made royalty seem more down to earth, and gave dragon-kind a more relatable point of view as well. In fact, I strongly recommend Seraphina if you have any great interest in dragons.
Moose

Post by Moose »

if you are looking for a good fantasy series in a kingdom setting i would strongly suggest the farseer trilogy by robin hobb i read these books a few years ago now but i found them a great read. a very wonderful series indeed
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

I would suggest, "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a King Arther tale, entirely from a woman's point of view. It's definately got a lot of romance in it and wraps you up in the characters hopes, struggles and sucesses.
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa
Caron1
Favorite Author: Andre Norton
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caron1.html
fav_author_id: 2714

Post by Caron1 »

I wouldn't just say the Mists of Avalon, go for the whole Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. While it's not traditional kingdom, it is kingdom in how their society is set up (even though there's a spaceport you have non-tech on the planet). And those are some excellent stories.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”