June - The Time Traveler's Wife

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Jessalyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: June - The Time Traveler's Wife

Post by Jessalyn »

I have not read the book but I saw the movie and have seen it quite a few times. I recently received the book and have yet to read it.

Edit: website ref removed
Hellenic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellenic.html

Post by Hellenic »

I read this book when it was advertised on a tv book club. I thought it was very well written, a little hard to get into at the start with the swapping and changing, but when you to grip with it it was hard to put down. I tried watching the film to recap my memory but didn't enjoy it so never watched it fully. But the book I would give 4.5/5
Dani_g_23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-g-23.html

Post by Dani_g_23 »

I found this book absolutely fascinating! The jumping back and forth in time made it exciting, leaving you wondering where you were going, almost as if you were travelling with him! 5/5 this book made me cry
heatherprzybyla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherprzybyla.html

Post by heatherprzybyla »

I really enjoyed it, I made my husband wait to get the movie until I had finished it. That really didn't take long though :D
emergirl
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Sisterhood Everlasting

Post by emergirl »

One of my favorite books. I really want to read it again since I read it awhile ago. The movie made me mad. I absolutely adored the ending of this book but the movie did a completely different ending and I don't think the movie did the book justice. Even though I loved the casting of the movie they left out extremely important parts of the novel crucial to the story. I know movies can't fit everything from the book into the movie but they left out so much important stuff.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

The most interesting part of this book, for me, was the author's take on time--the concept of 'everything that will happen has already happened' and vice-versa. It provides a take on the constant battle between choice and destiny. How much choice do we really have? And how does it impact destiny? Where does the control lie? I love books that tell an interesting story, but open up a world of questions, and this was certainly one of them.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

After reading all the comments, I'm going to make a plan to read it, it sounds like a good book.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
monideane21
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monideane21.html
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait

Post by monideane21 »

Love this book!
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I saw the movie but haven't read the book.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I loved the book because I thought the concept of uncontrollable time travelling to be fascinating and I loved the relationship between Henry and his wife. The movie was pretty good too.
JuliannaSilva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliannasilva.html

Post by JuliannaSilva »

This book was incredible, it couldn't be put down. Something about it makes me very emotional, crying was a big part of my reading experience. The ending was heart-wrenching I want to watch the movie but I'm not sure I can handle that plot again.
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Post by Sally Balboa »

I tried so hard to get into this book but it just wasn't for me. It never drew me in and I found it boring. That's just me though.
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I read this book a while ago, and I found it very interesting yet weird at the same time, because of the fact that the wife (I've forgotten their names already) and the husband live their lives together but experience each other at different ages.

Also a bit weird that he goes visiting his future wife and hangs around with her while she is still a kid. What about her choice in the matter? What if she wanted a different life to the one fate had already planned? Did she have freedom of choice or was her future forced on her?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I read this book a while ago, and I found it very interesting yet weird at the same time, because of the fact that the wife (I've forgotten their names already) and the husband live their lives together but experience each other at different ages.

Also a bit weird that he goes visiting his future wife and hangs around with her while she is still a kid. What about her choice in the matter? What if she wanted a different life to the one fate had already planned? Did she have freedom of choice or was her future forced on her?
I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, I have to think on this in more depth. Unfortunately, it is now past midnight here, and you introduced a philosophical and ethical question for me to ponder. This will make for another sleepless night, no doubt. My first thought, though, is he isn't controlling these visits, or at least that is not how I remember it, but then again, it has been a couple of years since I read it.

Anyway, thanks for giving me another spin on this story that I loved. Maybe, I need to add it to my list of books to read again.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
wei_weiling

Post by wei_weiling »

By far, one of my favorite books. Once I started reading this book, I just couldn't stop. It made me feel like I was watching the movie. (In fact, the book is so much better than the movie. WAY BETTER.)

I especially adore the relationship between Henry and Claire. As I read, I just wanted to know more about how this couple encountered all the adversities and eventually grew stronger together. Being in a long distance relationship is already hard for most of us, I can't imagine if my partner was Henry; goes and comes anytime without his control.

On reading this book, I kept asking myself a question; would I rather be a person who can know things in advance, but not being able to make any changes OR would I want to be a person who doesn't know the future, but thinking/believing that my current action will determine my future...

Return to “Book of the month”