Official Review: Eclectic: Ten Very Different Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
freehat5d
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freehat5d.html
Latest Review: "Almost a Turkish Soap Opera" by Anne-Rae Vasquez

Official Review: Eclectic: Ten Very Different Tales

Post by freehat5d »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ECLECTIC: Ten Very Different Tales" by Jonathan Hill.]

ECLECTIC: Ten Very Different Tales is a book of ten short stories roughly 40 pages in length. The stories all vary in genre meaning this book has a story for just about everyone.

This being a book of short stories, it's very difficult to talk about each individual story very much without giving away any spoilers. Its a book I would definitely recommend reading and as such, do not want to ruin any part of it. I can however give a very brief overview of some of the contents.

There are stories of a man forced to live with a traumatic incident from his past who, at times struggles to tell the difference between dreams and reality, a young boy living in hardship while being tormented by bullies at school and even a humorous poem about a medical students trying to diagnose a patient thrown in for good measure. These are just three of the stories of course, but the others are equally as thoughtful.

I planned to read this book slowly over the next few days, however once read the first story I was drawn into the book. Each story, though being only a few pages seemed very long. I read them in a matter of minutes, but by the time finishing felt like I had read an entire book. These are some of the most well paced stories I have read in a long time. They don't start off very slow and drone on only to wrap the entire story up in a few sentences, rather they ease you slowly into the conclusion to each story.

One thing I really appreciated about this book was the suspense. I read the whole thing in one sitting simply because I needed to know what happened next in each story. As each one progressed I would feel the story coming closer to a conclusion, only to stumble across a plot twist at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed each story individually and applaud the book as a whole. I'm giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars and don't feel as though this is a generous ranking at all. Hard as I tried to come up with some gaping flaw that could affect my judgement of this book, I found none significant enough to deter me from giving it a good score. I look forward to reading more works from this author in the future.

Buy "ECLECTIC: Ten Very Different Tales" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Almost a Turkish Soap Opera" by Anne-Rae Vasquez
lovebooks10
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks10.html
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones

Post by lovebooks10 »

Sounds interesting even though I don't usually read such short books
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”