Official Review: Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Official Review: Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon

Post by Carabosse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon" by Skevi Philippou.]

Arguably one of the most enduring characters borne from the realm of Ancient Greek mythology; Medusa is most well-known for the snakes that sprout from her head in place of human hair. As a result of other malevolent powers befitting a deadly Gorgon, Medusa has been ascribed vivid physical characteristics. However, this has almost always been at a cost to any psychological characteristics. She is often portrayed as an unquestionably evil, and thus, one-dimensional villain.

What if, however, that were not the case? What if Medusa, like all other rich mythical characters, had a past; a story yet to be told? These are the questions asked-and answered, by Skevi Philippou in her wondrous tale: "Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon".

In the time of creation, Gaia, (Mother Earth), bears many children that form parts of, and make their mark upon, the world. One of these is her daughter, Ceto. Although having borne many children herself, all Ceto’s daughters are the beginnings of human nightmares. Overcome with guilt for birthing, Scylla, the Graeae, and two other Gorgons, Ceto begs Gaia that her last child should not be a monstrosity. Taking pity on her daughter, Gaia agrees, but on one condition: in order not to follow the path of her sisters before her, Ceto’s last child, Medusa, must be born a mortal, and live as such, until it is time for her to know her true place among the Gods on Mount Olympus.

Set against the backdrop of Ancient Greece, in a time when Gods were all-powerful, and magic and mysticism ever-present; the impossible is possible. Skevi Philippou takes the reader on a journey with Medusa, chronicling her entire life.

"Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon" is all-but poetry; beautifully written in the style of the great myths and fairy tales. Yet this story transcends well-worn, stereotypical paths, and instead shows a frightfully human take on the life of a mythical character. The only drawbacks were a few typing errors-and of course, that the book ended at all. Skevi Philippou is a truly gifted storyteller. This is a must for any lover of fantasy!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Medusa: Through the eyes of the Gorgon" on Amazon
Medusaseyes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Medusaseyes »

Hi everyone!

I am so glad you enjoyed reading my story. An updated version (typing error free) is on its way! As well as a shiny new cover ♥

The second book in this 3 part series should be expected around March 2013
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html

Post by Carabosse »

Oh, that's just fantastic! I loved your story. It was an absolute gem and I can't wait for the sequel!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”