Official Review: Gifted: An Extraordinary Journey ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nana2002
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana2002.html
Latest Review: "Comeback Love" by Peter Golden

Official Review: Gifted: An Extraordinary Journey ...

Post by nana2002 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gifted: An Extraordinary Journey Through Illness and Liver Transplantation" by Dan Bonner.]
Book Cover for 9781937293833
Share This Review

I was really impressed with this book. It is very informative and really tells you in detail what this man went through during his journey to getting a liver transplant.

I wasn't sure how good the book would be, or if there would be so many medical terms I would need to look up that I would lose interest. This was not the case when he gave a diagnosis or procedure that was needed he explained it so you knew what he was talking about.

I like the fact he was down to earth and told the true way he was feeling and let you know it wasn't all bad or all good. He was very open about his feelings.

I feel this would be a very good book for anyone going through a liver transplant as it lets you know it is normal to have negative thoughts about what you are going through. It also shows you that there are good days and how important is is to try to keep your mind and body working as well as possible and to not give up.

He had some bad things happen during the time he was sick but just kept pushing forward even when he felt like giving up. The thought that no matter how bad things are for you someone has it worse kept coming to mind.

I learned alot about live donors and the ability of the liver to grow back in a very short time. I knew it would grow back but how quickly it does so was really surprising. There was alot of information on the reason for a liver transplant and the availability of a liver when it was needed. I also learned about how they decide who gets a liver and when.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 and highly recommend it as it is very informative and entertaining at the same time. It is hard to put down because you want to see what will happen next.

Buy "Gifted" on Amazon
Buy "Gifted" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Comeback Love" by Peter Golden
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a very touching book and a good one for anyone going through a liver transplant.

Congratulations to the author on the positive review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds like a very nice read, and congrats to the author for the Book of the Day! :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

It must have taken a lot of strength to tell such a type of story, and it sounds very informative. I learned a lot about liver growth just from this review alone! Haha! Thank you for the lovely review, and congrats to the author for BOTD!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The author's story sounds very interesting and inspiring. It's good to know that the author writes about the medical terms and procedures a way that's easy to understand. I sometimes get put off by books with medical themes since the information can be confusing.

Congrats to the author for having the Book of the Day!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This sounds like such an inspirational read and worthwhile for many. Unfortunately, I feel this is a bit much for me to read, since my sister had liver issues and didn't have much success...It's good to hear that the author was successful on the liver transplant, though. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

I read the sample and it's very promising. The review is also good and made me more eager to read the book
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
crazilydramatic
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 104

Post by crazilydramatic »

This sounds like an interesting read. I feel like this is something everyone needs to read and be more informed about.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I too, was a little iffy at this book, but as per your review, as well as the sample pages, this book is definitely worth a read.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Great review. I read the dull sample and could easily read the while book because of its conversational quality. Very inspirational and chilling to think how the body can turn on itself.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Thanks for the review. When I was a medical student I learned about live donors etc. it wasn't until my best friend's mother ended up going on the transplant list (none of her family or friends were a match for her) that I caught a glimpse of what it really entails. I will definitely be reading this book.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

I think this book is a good idea for others to see what people go thru waiting for transplants. As my daughter was in need of a kidney and didn't receive one in time, so this book might be hard for me to read tho.
arelireads
Currently Reading: Clockwork Princess
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arelireads.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by arelireads »

This seems unique. Thanks for the review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It's great that the author made the information easy to understand. It can be overwhelming for readers sometimes if medical terminology is not explained well.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”