"Crank" by Ellen Hopkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jordyn_swift
Bookshelf Size: 0

"Crank" by Ellen Hopkins

Post by jordyn_swift »

"Crank" by Ellen Hopkins follows sixteen year Kristina Snow through her introduction and addiction to methamphetamines. Even though Hopkins has a unique and poetic writing style, one can't help but get sucked in to Kristina's downward spiral. Hopkins perfectly portrays addiction and the struggles one faces when choosing that lifestyle. I highly recommend this book, especially towards those whose lives have been directly or indirectly affected by addiction. It truly gives insight into the mind of an addict. Even though the writing style was hard to understand at first, by the end of the book I respected Hopkin's individuality and creativity. I could hardly put the book down and spent many nights thinking about the book.
[downfallinpeaces]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-downfallinpeaces.html

Post by [downfallinpeaces] »

I read this book about 15 years ago in junior high, and every once in awhile it comes to mind. I should re-read it since it stuck with me for so long. I just remember being taken in with the main character and wanting her life to turn out ok.
fairykingdom

Post by fairykingdom »

There are two more books about Kristina and her addiction: Glass and Fallout. I think these three (as well as the rest of her books!) are great ways to spark important discussions with teens about difficult subjects.
slove93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slove93.html

Post by slove93 »

I agree this book does sick you into her addiction. Hopkins is writing some of these accounts based off of her daughter's experience with drugs. I've read the first two books in the series. Although her poetic style of writing can be hard to follow, this is a very quick read.
-pbf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pbf.html

Post by -pbf »

fairykingdom wrote:There are two more books about Kristina and her addiction: Glass and Fallout. I think these three (as well as the rest of her books!) are great ways to spark important discussions with teens about difficult subjects.
I agree! Hopkins has a knack for writing that kind of book, and Crank was no exception.
heath110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heath110.html

Post by heath110 »

Crank was a deceivingly easy read, but worth every second. It opened my eyes to a world that I was fortunate not to have seen, and allowed me to become open to others situations and their personal difficulties. This reminded me of another book call "Go Ask Alice" by Anonymous. Ellen Hopkins helped create a niche of writing with her poetic novella.
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

I liked this book when I read it back in high school. It is an eye opening read and is a good way to let young people know how bad drugs and other difficult situations can be and how hard they can be to get out of.
JessChristman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesschristman.html

Post by JessChristman »

Wow, I read this book as a junior in highschool and it has stuck with me. I absolutely LOVED this book. I remember being nervous that it was written in prose but it was very easy to understand and sucked you in within the first few pages. I never read a book that made me feel so emotional. I was Kristina's best friend, I was with her through everything, I cried when she was in pain, when she coudln't say no, I struggled right along side her. I was ecstatic when Glass came out I read in a day and with both of these books and then again with Fallout I was hearbroken multiple times in the story. I really cannot explain how well Ellen Hopkins expressed every minute of Kristina's life. When I finished each book I greived for Kristina and had to take a break from reading because I just didn't want to let her go. I have read every single Ellen Hopkins book, and I have a few other favorites, Burned.
Burned is about a young Mormo girl named Pattyn. She is the oldest of seven girls, her father is a raging alcoholic, one day she defies her parents and they send her to live with her Aunt J. She falls in love with a boy Ethan (which is quite magical, I fell in love with him myself), and she gets pregnant. I will not share the ending because YOU ALL should read it but it is quite traumatizing. I also just found out they are coming out with a sequel written from Pattyn and her little sister Jackie's perspective. Yay! Sept 2013
Impulse is another favorite, it is written from the perspective of three different teenagers. They all want to die. Their lives come together at a psych hospital...

DEFINTE READ!!!
estellv
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estellv.html

Post by estellv »

Am Ellen Hopkins novels look daunting as they are 500+ pages. However, the author writes her novels in a series of poems. This particular Nov follows three teenagers through their journey in a mental institution. Her imagery within her poems and her ability to balance three characters in one novel, shows pure talent to me. This is definitely a Nov that is hard to put down and I highly recommend it!
Molly5126724
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Crank</a>
Currently Reading: Triangles
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Molly5126724 »

I read this book three years ago, it introduced me to author Ellen Hopkins. I absolutely loved this book and it really does show the negative affects of addiction.

-- 26 Nov 2017, 20:27 --

I read this book three years ago, it introduced me to author Ellen Hopkins. I absolutely loved this book and it really does show the negative affects of addiction.
A-pagexo
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory

Post by A-pagexo »

In all honesty this is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I read it about 5 years ago and can still remember most details, the book is also written in a lovely poetry style and Hopkins really makes you feel asif you are in Kristinas shoes.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I loved the book "Go Ask Alice" if this is anything like it id love to read it as well. I have definitely been effected by addiction in this life and im intrigued to read the creative style you speak of.
Hbrooke1111

Post by Hbrooke1111 »

:techie-studyingbrown:
I read this book as an addict to meth-crank. It made me realise how crazy people on that stuff look and sound. Some of the obstacles the teens had to go through is just like my life story. It really hit close to home for me. Ellen Hopkins writes about the world from a drug users view and nailed it!
BSteph

Post by BSteph »

I have read and enjoyed the entire Crank Trilogy. While based on Ellen Hopkin's real daughter's addiction to Methamphetamine, there are obviously pieces that were changed as Ellen wrote through the eyes and feelings of "Kristina"/ "Bree". The unique writing style makes it an interesting and easy read. I was hooked after the very first chapter. The characters and dialogue are very realistic, and really make you like (or dislike) the people involved. The fact that the book is based on true events makes it even more of an interesting read. While I feel that if you or a loved one is struggling with Meth addiction, you don't have to know someone personally struggling to love this trilogy. It shows the real affects Meth can have on a family, and just how quickly it can rip apart a once strong bond.
Ellen Hopkin's works are some of my absolute favorites. 10/10 recommend
Josieecho

Post by Josieecho »

[amazon=][bco=][bn=][youtube][/youtube][/bn][/bco][/amazon]Hands down! My Favorite author of all! I love her style and her ease at communicating so smoothly and so vividly in such a simple yet deeply intricate way. The depth that she conveys in her particular individualized style type of writing is so deeply illustrative that her words almost seem to just flow on through your head like pictures in a picture book as your reading and intuneitively processing her written words through your audible and maybe now even tactile mind! Highly recommends by me to anyone who reads and loves any uniquely interesting and meaningfull literature peice :tiphat: :techie-reference:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”