Stephen King's IT

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
triqtaq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Stephen King's IT

Post by triqtaq »

The novel is one thing. the movie on the other hand was just.........
A 1990 release I was prob 5 at that time. I got to see that movie when I was around 8-9 years old and it ruined my life!
Till this day I think clowns are creepy and horrible. Ronald McDonald is my biggest enemy and I never look at Krusty the clown the same. I never got a chance to read the book yet because of the sequence of events and the fact that I saw the movie before I was into reading novels.

I just want to know, has anyone been creeped out of clowns after that movie? and if you didn't see the movie or read the book, and clowns creep you out in general what was the reason for that?
becky119
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becky119.html
Latest Review: "The Killer" by Jack Elgos

Post by becky119 »

I still haven't felt brave enough to watch the movie after reading Stephen King's "It". The book was really hard to put down and I am amazed at how quickly I plowed through it, especially considering it is a rather long book. I am almost always of the mindset that books are better than movies and it will probably be a completely different experience for you. There are some truly horrible things in the novel that I still get upset over.

To answer your clown question, I have always been a little freaked out by clowns. This was even before I read the book and before I knew about John Wayne Gacy. I think part of this stems from how interactive clowns can be (especially in parades and circuses). Having a stranger in your face as a child is upsetting, but someone who is covered with makeup and trying to get you to laugh...just a little freaky.
triqtaq

Post by triqtaq »

from what your saying the book can be more horrifying than the movie. I refuse to watch the movie till this day. its been 22 years and I really don't know if it will be more of a "this movie is very old and sucks" type of reaction or "OH LORD THIS IS HORRIBLY DISTURBING" type of reaction.

I am very tempted to get the book though I feel like its a process I need to complete.
mspjmunoz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mspjmunoz.html

Post by mspjmunoz »

I read IT long before I saw the movie. I was enthralled by the book, even though I don't usually lean to the horror spectrum of anything. It was terrifying at parts, and darkly humorous at others. It is still one of my favorite books, though I haven't revisited it in years. Clowns are rather disturbing to me, though this goes back much further than my reading or viewing of IT.

The movie was laughable, in my opinion, not to discredit anyone's anguish over the movie, I'm sure even now it would disturb a young child. Sure, Tim Curry was fabulous as Pennywise (though this may be a biased opinion as I love Tim Curry -- he was the only reason I ever watched the movie), but the movie left out so much of the plot from the book and often times the creep factor just wasn't there. Compared to today's standard of movies, especially in the horror genre, most people will get the "omg, this is so old and sucks so bad" impression. The book it worth the read, but skip the movie, unless they remake it to today's standards...
triqtaq

Post by triqtaq »

Looks like I'm getting the book then. I agree with you on the possibility very bad if I watch it now. ill probably stay away from the movie for now and start flipping the books pages.

Tim Curry is a great actor and from my recollection he was pretty solid as Pennywise. but being a child at that time and kinda seeing that the people in the movie dealt with it as children probably had that more scary effect !
mattjo1

Post by mattjo1 »

I thought that this was a wonderfully planned novel by King. The characters were very rich, and the world being displayed is very believable. I read last year, and it is worth re-reading.
Bearsfan

Post by Bearsfan »

Great book! I read IT when it came out and loved it.

IT and The Stand were the best King IMO. I don't want to sell short any of his short stories, but as far as novels go, I loved these two.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

IT was a fantastic book, very scary and the characters were fully rounded, sadly the ending was very illogical and felt very rushed, I tend to think if the other parts of the book when I think of this because its a classic example of King not being able to finish a horror tale with satisfaction (see Tommyknockers and Bag of Bones and Under The Dome for examples of this). The 1990 movie was a classic, thanks to the inimitable Tim Curry.
You only live once.....so live!
scrapcode13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrapcode13.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by scrapcode13 »

I'm with you triqtaq. The same thing happened to me also. Until now I don't like clowns but I was able to watch the movie again and being familiar with the special effects implemented today I was able to laugh it off.

I still don't trust clowns though. I think I'll get the book also.
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Post by Carabosse »

I also, agree, triqtaq. I have read many of Stephen King's novels, but never "It". Now, though, it's definitely on my list; pardon the pun. I too, am a huge Tim Curry fan; but I saw the film well before I was really acquainted with his work. As with many other people on this forum, I also have a lasting hatred of clowns!
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods
becky119

Post by becky119 »

Carabosse wrote:I also, agree, triqtaq. I have read many of Stephen King's novels, but never "It". Now, though, it's definitely on my list; pardon the pun. I too, am a huge Tim Curry fan; but I saw the film well before I was really acquainted with his work. As with many other people on this forum, I also have a lasting hatred of clowns!
I'm kind of curious...does anyone like clowns? I really don't know anyone who doesn't get freaked out by them.
scrapcode13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrapcode13.html

Post by scrapcode13 »

I know that my cousin loves them. And the fact that there are still clowns means that people still buy their act else they would find other jobs. Right? Or does everyone just pretend that they like clowns while they're really freaked out? lol
becky119

Post by becky119 »

Ah, yes...peer pressure
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Clowns don't scare me but I've always felt rather sorry for them as they always strike me as being more sad and sorryful rather than funny characters.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:Clowns don't scare me but I've always felt rather sorry for them as they always strike me as being more sad and sorryful rather than funny characters.
Dont feel sorry for Tim Curry then Fran, you will find yourself without an arm...
You only live once.....so live!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”