J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mel Carriere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Post by Mel Carriere »

When's the d*** movie coming out for crying out loud?
lambcrazy

Post by lambcrazy »

I red and saw LOTR novels and movies. The novel is great. I was planning to read The Hobbit . Reading through the posts increases my interest in it . ..
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Mel Carriere wrote:When's the d*** movie coming out for crying out loud?
No doubt merchandising is being made as we type. According to the gossip, the movie is still being filmed. It will be a two-part flick with the first installment due out December 2012 and the second December 2013. If you are interested in more info The Hobbit Movie has some interesting stats.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my old battered childhood paperback.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Yay! I am so happy the movie is coming out. Plan on rereading the Hobbit in a few months to refresh my memory. This will be the 3rd time.
Aladyleyna

Post by Aladyleyna »

I've finished reading this, and I'm currently on the Trilogy, so I guess I'm reading in order! A bit late though, the Trilogy came out such a long time ago and only now am I reading the books. But I digress.

The Hobbit is one of my favourite books actually, it's much lighter to go through as compared to the Lord of the Rings, and while I'm not too interested in the main characters, I find that it's the side characters that interest me the most. I particularly liked Thranduil and Bard the Bowman, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they look on-screen. It's also going to be particularly hilarious seeing the scene between Bilbo and Smaug and knowing that the two actors behind them are the two main leads in Sherlock.
Mistborn
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: The Way of Kings
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Mistborn »

No doubt Tolkien's best book. I read them all over and over again as a kid, and The Hobbit was my favorite. The trilogy was o.k., kinda dragged on in spots but for the most part I liked them alot but the Hobbit just seemed to have so much more in it!

And The Silmarillion, all I have to say is, what a disaster. lol
LoniJo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lonijo.html

Post by LoniJo »

I read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy in Jr. High (for pleasure, not an assignment). I haven't re-read them, but now I'm wondering why :-). I loved The Hobbit and the trilogy. The trilogy gets a little heavy, but they are all so good! Liked the LOTR movie as well.
Miche
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche.html

Post by Miche »

I was a bit disappointed when I read The Hobbit. It took me quite some time to finish it because I didn't expect the literary style to be so -I struggle for the right word, but let's go with- easy. That's why I didn't find it that appealing. I know it's a book he wrote for his children, but still I was taken aback by the lack of complexity in the novel. The story is really good, don't get me wrong, but the style is the reason why I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I wonder what Peter Jackson is going to make of it, now he has decided to do a trilogy of The Hobbit. It just seems too much. For the record, I haven't read The Lord of The Rings, but I intend to someday.
MandyMe

Post by MandyMe »

I absolutely love the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. The Hobbit is probably my favorite due to the amount of action, but LOTR had an intricate cast of characters who all brought something to the table. My dad read the books to my siblings and me when we were little and all of us read them on our own afterwards. They will always be on my bookshelf and every now and then a reread is necessary. :)

I saw that someone posted about the Hobbit movie from the 70's and it was hilarious, as was The Lord of the Rings animated movie. "Where there's a whip, *Ka-che* there's a way." lol
Jibril
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibril.html

Post by Jibril »

i have not raed this book yet but am considering it...i do enjoy fantasy , apocolyptic/post apocolyptic as well as crime and mystery books... is this a good read for me?
SofiaICMT

Post by SofiaICMT »

I've read the trilogy of The Lord of the Rings, but have not read the Hobbit. In your opinion should I try to read before or after seeing the movie?
In the case of the trilogy, I read two books before seeing the movies and the last read later. I usually try to read before, but often I find the book better than the movie and leave the cinema disappointed and I am afraid that the same will happen with Hobbitt ...
leafylimer

Post by leafylimer »

the Hobbit was wonderful. so much easier to read than the others in the series. the lord of the rings always just had way too much detail. by the time you were finished reading about something and all the details of it, you would forget why it was important
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Sounds like I have to read this book before the movie comes out...
A24

Post by A24 »

I just finished The Hobbit. I was very excited to read this as the movie is coming out soon and I wanted to read it before I read The Lord of the Rings. Well, I wanted to love it but found it was a struggle as it just didn't keep my attention. I found I'd rather be doing other things than read this story. Therefore, it did take me a while to finally read the whole thing. I did love Bilbo Baggins who "stepped out of the boat" and his comfortable home life to go on an adventure of a lifetime. And, he triumphed in the end! I do hope the Lord of the Rings keeps my attention more so than this book did. 3.5/5
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

I loved The Hobbit. I've read it a couple of times and am very tempted to read it again before the movie comes out. I want to read LOTR again too at some stage. I think Tolkien does a really good job at holding the interest of a wide range of readers with The Hobbit. Considering it's generally thought of as a children's book. How many children's books have such a huge adult fan base?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”