DC or Marvel? (comics)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

DC or Marvel?

DC
38%
Marvel
62%
Other
No votes
I don't read/like comics/graphic novels
No votes

Total votes: 13

Cnc_theft_auto
Favorite Author: Robert Muchamore
Favorite Book: Hunger Games Trilogy
Currently Reading: Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 11118

DC or Marvel? (comics)

Post by Cnc_theft_auto »

It's simple...do you prefer DC or Marvel? Please post why. I can sense some arguments coming on!

Please note that this is for comics only.
The movie thread is here: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... =7&t=10895
The game thread is here: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... =7&t=10896
"Desperation is your enemy's best weapon." - Me
allmyposts

Post by allmyposts »

DC is better!!

though I still enjoy both
Cnc_theft_auto
Favorite Author: Robert Muchamore
Favorite Book: Hunger Games Trilogy
Currently Reading: Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey
fav_author_id: 11118

Post by Cnc_theft_auto »

thank you allmyposts!! lots of people prefer marvel, so its nice to know someone out there shares my opinion!!
"Desperation is your enemy's best weapon." - Me
maryam_54

Post by maryam_54 »

I'm not really sure! I love the fact that Marvel characters portray realistic human personalities. Yet, DC character backstories are just so interesting; Wonder Woman and Batman would be my two examples for great background information. Haha maybe I'm also a bit bias just because I'm in love with Selena Kyle. Ugggggh, if only Peter Parker, Selena Kyle, and Rogue were from the same comic universe....
lil20artist
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil20artist.html
Latest Review: "Thieves and Outcasts" by Dianna Moore

Post by lil20artist »

Marvel!
The seem to know how to make movies right nlike DC, plus my favorite character is the Hulk who is pretty beasty!
Latest Review: "Thieves and Outcasts" by Dianna Moore
MandyMe

Post by MandyMe »

Both great series with amazing characters! I have to lean towards Marvel because of Deadpool, though. With his loose grasp of sanity and constant breaking of the fourth wall, the "Merc with the Mouth" is absolutely entertaining especially with his team up with Cable. If you missed it, I would recommend that everybody who enjoys both series read the DC/Marvel crossover books. After that event, they even published some Amalgam comics that featuress the resulting characters.
preetisoft2

Post by preetisoft2 »

Marvel is the best.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Obviously, DC Comics!
AriTillett

Post by AriTillett »

DC all the way! While some of Marvel is decent, you can't beat heroes like Batman and Superman and a villain like the Joker is untouchable.
nikonswife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikonswife.html

Post by nikonswife »

I have always been a DC fan. Batman, superman, the flash...you can't beat them!
SmileyC

Post by SmileyC »

Marvel. I find dc heroes a little winey.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Became a modern comics fan in the 60s, the "Golden Age" of Marvel. At the time, DC had been too childish and Marvel introduced more adult and personal themes. The artwork (Kirby and others) was also more inventive and had better style.

It's been a long time since I've bought a comic however. I've become a fan of graphic novels.

Let's understand, I'm approaching comics as an adult. I was a big underground "comix" fan and have a superb collection of first editions of many iconic issues, Zap #0, Zap #1, and so on.

But during the 60s and 70s, I really enjoyed Marvel ahead of DC. I was however a lifelong Batman fan but DC made the subject too juvenile and silly. It wasn't till I found "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller, the great revival of Batman, that I fell in love again. And later, DC has improved.

Incidentally, regarding Marvel comics, I have a copy of "Amazing Fantasy #15" -- ha!
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Yes! I am a fan of both Marvel and DC. I have a tendency to cycle back and forth between the fandoms when something new comes out or I get annoyed with some of the characters. I voted for DC since I encountered it first and grew up with more of it.

It is funny how mutable these characters can be and that may be part of the interest. Consider how dark the recent Batman (and even Superman) movies have gotten vs Batman: The Animated Series vs Adam West Batman and the Brave and the Bold Batman.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

The comics I actually spent much of my time with were the old banned Crypt of the Witch stuff. Loved that comic gore!

But from the beginning I liked my entertainment dark and noir, and so the "goofy comic" stuff in some of the DC comics ran out its string on me quick. Understand I was reading John W. Campbell, Ray Bradbury, and others since I was a kid, and never liked the silly over-the-top stories which weren't very "realistic", given that they were comics anyway.

So the TV Batman turned my stomach, and when I first came across "Dark Knight Returns" graphic novel I freaked out (in a happy way). Same for the Chris Nolan Batman trilogy.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
dipdrops2003
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dipdrops2003.html
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by dipdrops2003 »

Marvel has been a favorite in my home since I was a child so I am a tad biased to choosing Marvel. DC Comics have been great, however, Marvel catches my eye more.
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney
Latest Review: "Samantha Smartypants Runs for Class President" by Barbara Puccia

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”