Gone With the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LoniJo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lonijo.html

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by LoniJo »

Hourglass wrote:I wonder if the second book is on Kindle. You have me curious now. Not because I doubt you in any way. Sometimes I think books do better with out a sequel, but even so, I always read it to see.
LOL No problem, and if you do read it, make sure to share what you think.....
tinatin

Post by tinatin »

it is my favorite book
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

While it's not my absolute favourite, it is my Top Ten. I was impressed by the sheer scale of the book and the historical detail intertwined with a vast array of characters, including some who were pretty silly and irritating. I hope never to meet a woman like Scarlett!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
kel

Post by kel »

I read Gone With the Wind maybe 20 years ago and I can remember being quite surprised that what seemed to me to be a mediocre book became such a classic. Maybe it is because I had spent so many years hearing about this great book, that my expectations were very high. I wasn't overly impressed.
samdgood
Currently Reading: Island Games

Post by samdgood »

i agree with everyone that gone with the wind is the best book and the book is better than the movie. i always thought the movie is great but you get more out of it if you read the book first. as far as the sequel goes, i was so angry when i started reading it i almost tossed it. but it's hard for me to start a book and not finish it so i read it. it was good once i got past the beginning but not as good as the original.

the thing that made me so angry was YOU CANNOT CHANGE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST BOOK! the sequel starts out with scarlet having two children. and that is nuts. she married her first husband who left for war immediately then died. then she married frank and he ended up dead. she had no children by either husband. then she married rhett and had bonnie who died and then had a miscarriage. so my question is, how can she have 2 kids in the second book? has anyone seen "misery" by stephen king? i feel like the crazy lady who explained to the author that you have to be true to the story.
Hourglass
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Favorite Book: I have many favorites
Currently Reading: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Post by Hourglass »

I'm pretty sure she did have two kids before Rhett.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

samdgood wrote:i agree with everyone that gone with the wind is the best book and the book is better than the movie. i always thought the movie is great but you get more out of it if you read the book first. as far as the sequel goes, i was so angry when i started reading it i almost tossed it. but it's hard for me to start a book and not finish it so i read it. it was good once i got past the beginning but not as good as the original.

the thing that made me so angry was YOU CANNOT CHANGE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST BOOK! the sequel starts out with scarlet having two children. and that is nuts. she married her first husband who left for war immediately then died. then she married frank and he ended up dead. she had no children by either husband. then she married rhett and had bonnie who died and then had a miscarriage. so my question is, how can she have 2 kids in the second book? has anyone seen "misery" by stephen king? i feel like the crazy lady who explained to the author that you have to be true to the story.
Gone with the Wind wouldn't be high on my list of favourite books but I love when a reader gets so engrossed in a book and so protective of the characters that they liken themselves to "the crazy lady" in Misery :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
fiddle_dee_read

Post by fiddle_dee_read »

Gone with the Wind is my favorite! I have read it several times. I agree Scarlett was a good read but did not have the same feel as GWTW. Rhett Butler's People was a very interesting read. I recommend it to GWTW fans.
Jesleigh
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesleigh.html
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake

Post by Jesleigh »

I love all things GWTW. As for Scarlett, I can't help but love it. I have read an re-read it. I love the way in which it is written.
Latest Review: "Christmas in Wine Country" by Addison Westlake
Hortonreader
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hortonreader.html
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain

Post by Hortonreader »

Reading most of the posts it sounds like reading the sequel might be a waste of time... Is that true?
Latest Review: "Dreams of Gold" by Jonathan Chamberlain
samdgood
Currently Reading: Island Games

Post by samdgood »

it's definately not as good as gone with the wind and it started out bad, but if you read it as a seperate book and not a continuance of the original, it's an ok read. i'd say there are many many books out there that are better.
Grenadine54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Grenadine54 »

samdgood wrote:i agree with everyone that gone with the wind is the best book and the book is better than the movie. i always thought the movie is great but you get more out of it if you read the book first. as far as the sequel goes, i was so angry when i started reading it i almost tossed it. but it's hard for me to start a book and not finish it so i read it. it was good once i got past the beginning but not as good as the original.

That was the case in the movie. In the film, Scarlett only had Bonnie, and she died by falling off her horse. In the book, Scarlett did have a son by Charles, her first husband, and a daughter by Frank, her second husband. Bonnie died in the book as well. Later on, in the "Scarlett" sequel, she got pregnant by Rhett again and had a daughter. All in all, four kids for our Scarlett, one of which is passed away.

Alexandra Ripley may not have written the best sequel (honestly, none should have been written in the first place), but she did get Scarlett's offspring right.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

It's an ironic tale about a woman(scarlett) who has the right man(Rhett) in her life but imagines herself in love with another man (Ashley) who is with the love of his life, Melanie, who in my opinion is the perfect one for him. :)

It's very true to real life. Many of us make the mistake of settling for or running after an illusion when the real thing is staring us in the face.

The ending just stumped me. It's a piece of art!
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

asmaahsan wrote:It's an ironic tale about a woman(scarlett) who has the right man(Rhett) in her life but imagines herself in love with another man (Ashley) who is with the love of his life, Melanie, who in my opinion is the perfect one for him. :)

It's very true to real life. Many of us make the mistake of settling for or running after an illusion when the real thing is staring us in the face.

The ending just stumped me. It's a piece of art!
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. :D
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Grenadine54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html

Post by Grenadine54 »

YES! Actually, now that you mention it, I almost made that mistake. I had a perfectly great guy liking me, but I didn't want to be with him, because I was chasing after another person, who really was just an illusion of a dream man. I finally came to my senses and saw the first guy for who he was: Kind, attentive, fun, smart... and I've been happy with him ever since. When I think about how I almost let him go and how much I would be missing out on, I want to go and cry in my corner.

You can't make that stuff up. I bet you, Margret went through something similar. I think I read somewhere that she did have her own version of Rhett somewhere.

Return to “Classic Books”