Canada.Eh? wrote:If you could only have 5 books on your bookshelf for the rest of your life (these books being the only things you could ever read), what would they be?
Not necessarily my favorites but those that would keep me well fed forever:
1) The Bible (contains every story, great writing, endlessly interpretable .. . )
2) Complete Shakespeare (see above)
3) In Search of Lost Time by Proust (I swear this book describes everyone you'll ever meet. Finding a one volume edition would be tough, but it is considered one book by the critics so it counts right?)
4) Ulysses by Joyce (If it was the only game in town I’d finally be able to finish/understand it)
5) Lord of the Rings (Middle Earth is my favorite vacation destination)
My apologies to Catch-22, I hate to leave you behind, but them’s the rules . . .
The victor belongs to the spoils.