What's your favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

What's your favorite book?

Post by Scott »

What's your favorite book? Why?

My favorite book is 1984 by George Orwell.

You can read my quick review of 1984 here.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gree7684
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gree7684 »

Hmm, not sure if I have a favorite, but I like provocative, somewhat shocking, or dark but humorous books. Like Catcher in the Rye, House of Leaves, and after the last death...Aside from HOL, I haven't read anything recently that's caught my eye. Let me know if you run into any interesting new books.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i don't really have a favorite book. i read a lot so there isn't one book that just jumped right at me and said "I'm awsome!!" i mean there have been a couple books that have been just mind boggling afterwards but i can't seem to think of any.

I liked Catcher and the Rye at least from what i can remember of it. i was in the 7th grade when i read it so i really don't remember. i might have to revisit that one. what is the house of leaves about?
robin

Post by robin »

have any of u read..the perks of being a wallflower? it's supposed to be like a modern catcher in the rye..good book
n8gray

Post by n8gray »

again...props to hughes for 1984... a great book, and a great tragedy.
My fav book is the Foundation Novels by Isaac Asimov. he somehow paints a mural of an entire galaxy, spanning millions of years, and yet retains the humanity of the story. it's a marathon read, but well worth it. hella good.
missmary1979

Post by missmary1979 »

However I read Pride and Prejudice perhaps twice a year, therefore it must be my favourite. I love all her other works but that's the one I read the most. There have been so many books that have just stayed with me, and they're all escaping me at the moment.
LinkPromo

Post by LinkPromo »

Wheel of Time Book 1 by Robert Jordan. Series has gone down hill though.
knikkki

Post by knikkki »

I have many favorites, but my most favorites are Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Why? Funny, great story, great characters, amazingly written.

Mists of Avalon by Marian Zimmer Bradley ... magical and re-readable.

Anything by Christopher Moore.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I have too many-
I love Shakespeare, Palahunik, Morrisson, and Eggers.
If I had to pick a fovorite book this second though, and I'm going to pretend you have a gun to my head- pick Love pick!
OKAY!
Paradise Lost, Milton.
It speaks volumes, without really taking sides.
Mrs_M

Post by Mrs_M »

This has to be the most impossible question ever. I have bookshelves full of my favorite bookS. How can I possibly narrow it down to just one?! My favorite was dependent on where I was at the time I read it. At one point I am sure my favorite was "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret". Now I am more into non-fiction true crime books. Criminal psychology has always fascinated me. "Ted Bundy: Conversations With a Killer" was one of the best books on criminal cognitive process ever. Aside from non-fiction I read stuff like the full Harry Potter series...book 7 2007 yeah!! I enjoy Hemingway a great deal and I liked "The Fountainhead". Even "Dracula is quite surprising. Scary book, bad movies. I did recently go all the way to London to have a copy of "The Complete Jack the Ripper" autographed by Donald Rumbelow (author) - he does the walking tour. A favorite book is impossible to choose.
RKaye422

Post by RKaye422 »

I totally agree with Mrs M's post that a favorite book, just like a song, can depend ALOT on where you were in life when you read it. some things resonate with you at 30 that maybe you couldn't relate to at 20. I too have an entire shelve of FAVORITE books--these are the ones I never pass on, never lend out, etc. I also hve to say there are so many different genres of writing out there, I'd probably have a FAVORITE for almost every type, and for sad and for funny, etc.
that being said, I LOVE the outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I started reading it whn i was about 21 yrs old and it was the book that made me want to go to Scotland, which I DID. I lived there for an entire year and it was FANTASTIC. The chance to explore another country, to meet new people, to study history in the place where the history WAS made, on and on. I hope if I have children some day, THEY too take the chance for overseas study/travel.
For animal related, my favorite book right now is Marley and Me or Beautiful Jim Key. However, that could change at any time since i read SO MANY great animal-related stories.

Anyway, the point being is how can I decide on JUST ONE???
hkdonbks

Post by hkdonbks »

The Godfather by Mario Puzo
farrell4

Post by farrell4 »

Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Ummmm... I cannot think of all my favourite books. Man, this is hard!
pbsmind

Post by pbsmind »

My favorite book is probably either Stardust by Neil Gaiman or Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. But there are so many more that I love and read over and over! Those are just two that come to mind.
therealmsjones

Post by therealmsjones »

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is a favorite of mine. It touches my soul and I take away something new each time I re-read it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”