The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sweetpea
Favorite Author: Ransom Riggs
Favorite Book: Miss Peregrines Home 4 Peculiar Children
Currently Reading: The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2933

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Post by sweetpea »

I found the fact that the book wasn’t written in a linear time line a bit confusing and had to keep going back to check what year something happened and was it before or after what I’m reading now. At times it became slightly frustrating.

The descriptions of the circus were very beautifully written. Morgenstern uses all of your senses and you can almost smell the secents and hear the sounds for yourself. "You can smell caramel wafting through the evening breeze beneath the crisp scent of autumn leaves", "Small lights begin to flicker as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies". Though the descriptions are beautifully written their sheer lenght almost grinds the story to a halt. At some points I found myself reading the descriptions and not being interested in them, instead wanting to skip them and find out what was happening next.

I found the first half of the book quite slow paced but the pace of the story picks up substantially towards the second half of the book and it becomes a lot more exciting. The characters now know what it is they need to do and set about doing it.

The book for me is really split into two. I found the first half difficult to get through but enjoyed the second half. Overall I thought it was quite enjoyable.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

sweetpea wrote:I found the fact that the book wasn’t written in a linear time line a bit confusing and had to keep going back to check what year something happened and was it before or after what I’m reading now. At times it became slightly frustrating.

The descriptions of the circus were very beautifully written. Morgenstern uses all of your senses and you can almost smell the secents and hear the sounds for yourself. "You can smell caramel wafting through the evening breeze beneath the crisp scent of autumn leaves", "Small lights begin to flicker as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies". Though the descriptions are beautifully written their sheer lenght almost grinds the story to a halt. At some points I found myself reading the descriptions and not being interested in them, instead wanting to skip them and find out what was happening next.

I found the first half of the book quite slow paced but the pace of the story picks up substantially towards the second half of the book and it becomes a lot more exciting. The characters now know what it is they need to do and set about doing it.

The book for me is really split into two. I found the first half difficult to get through but enjoyed the second half. Overall I thought it was quite enjoyable.
Hi there sweetpea, "The Night Circus" was easily my favourite read of 2011, even though I read it in early 2012. I think that the chapters not being written in a linear time line is a great idea. I also found myself going back to previous chapters to check things out. By doing this I came to enjoy the story more.
I also agree with you that Morgenstern's writing is beautifully descriptive and you do get the feeling you are there with all the smells and sights and sounds.
I love how many times in between chapters there are short passages that describe parts of the circus as if you were wandering around the circus itself, these passages add greatly to the description of the circus.
I think it is a great idea in the beginning that both the main characters do not know what is going on and what is expected of them. This adds immensely to the suspense as they slowly figure it out as the novel goes on.

I cannot wait for her next book, If it is as good as her debut, I can see her becoming one of my favourite writers. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
victoriaaa

Post by victoriaaa »

I was wary of reading this, id just read water for elephants and although alot of people really rate it i just didnt find it as good as expected. I was recommened the night circus and at first i thought "really? can i be bothered to read another circus book?", but im sooo glad i did. Its so captivating and magical i just wanted to go explore it myself.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I've recently added this one to my to-read list. I've picked it up in the bookstore many times, only to put it back down. But several people have said it's a must read, so I'll give it a go.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
kelleys4girls

Post by kelleys4girls »

Though I'm not much for romance, I really enjoyed this book. The magic created was described in such a way that I could see it and wanted desperately to be able to reach out and touch it or wander around inside it. I loved the star-crossed lovers within powerful, beautiful magic. I'd like to see more books with magic for the sake of beauty, not for power or personal gain.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I really enjoyed reading this book.
I read it last year and it become one of my favorites books for 2012. I had never read a book set in a circus, so it was a really nice change for me and I also liked the fact that even though there was a romance going on it didn't focus too much on that and allowed the reader to know more about the circus and "explore" it
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
ShoppingMonk

Post by ShoppingMonk »

Wow its a nice book right now i am studying this...after completed i will share my experience with you guys
Kimber945
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimber945.html

Post by Kimber945 »

I too was skeptical about this book but it drew me in and I couldn't put it down. It tickled all my senses with beautiful imagery. I don't reread books very often but I may pick this one up again for a bit of escapism one day.
:wink:
MirageMe

Post by MirageMe »

This book was hands down my favorite book of 2012! I read it on my kindle, then listened to it from audible.
I was drawn in from the very first line.
"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not."

From that very first line it was like being swept away into a beautiful, magical, enchanting adventure...
-pbf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pbf.html

Post by -pbf »

I agree that the descriptions dragged on, and usually that bothers me, but for some reason I wasn't at all bothered when reading The Night Circus. It all seemed so magical and mysterious, and I feel like every detail was necessary to create the fantastic atmosphere of the circus. It's one of my favorite books, despite the slow pace and lengthy descriptions.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

-pbf wrote:It all seemed so magical and mysterious, and I feel like every detail was necessary to create the fantastic atmosphere of the circus.
I recently finished this novel, and I agree. The descriptions fueled the story. It was unlike any other book I've read recently, and I really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
fiorabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiorabelle.html

Post by fiorabelle »

After reading all the positive reviews surrounding this novel I was a little concerned that it wouldn't live up to the hype. I'm glad I was proven wrong though. ;-) I agree with the rest of you, Morgenstern certainly has a knack for vividly describing and painting each scene. I also loved how she wove together each of the characters stories together. "The Night Circus" was one of those books that I didn't want to end. I can't wait to see what Morgenstern writes next!
jovanovi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

After half heartedly picking up this book and judging it by its cover, it turned out to a great book! I loved it! The characters were unique and complex. The circus itself was vividly described and came alive. The mystery of all the circus weirdness kept me engaged. I'll read this one again and I bet I'll get something new from it that I missed the first time.
polindsay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polindsay.html

Post by polindsay »

This is one of those books that I constantly recommend to people, especially the ones who don't think that a non-linear timeline can be done well.
Salma Siddiqui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

The non-linear format is a bit confusing but Morgenstern's description of the circus makes me feel like I'm there myself! What I appreciated about the ending of the book is that it took a complete leap of faith to understand it. I found the best way to process it was visually. Morgenstern is a master of providing visual descriptions, to the point that the reader can picture every character fully formed in her head. I sometimes wonder if the suspension of details would make reading the book more imaginative for the reader.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”