Review Game of Thrones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review Game of Thrones

Post by Booklover83 »

Wow, it took me a month to finish this book. It was not because I did not like it because I did. I especially found myself enjoying the various characters. Some I really rooted for like Arya and others like Ceresi and Bran I kind of wanted to slap silly. Add Robb to the slap list and it made for interesting reading. I liked the author's views of each character but I will say I felt that there may have been too many characters introduced in this first book and sometimes the description of some outside scenes were a bit long winded. This is why I did not give it a full five stars.

I did like the way the book moved and that the "chapters" were broken down in a non-traditional way with character names and focusing on that character for those pages. It made getting to know them a bit easier. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series though and hopefully will do that soon.
kg211970
Favorite Author: Tara Hyland
Favorite Book: Daughters of Fortune
Currently Reading: Black Jewels Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3001

Post by kg211970 »

thank you for posting this, now i really want to read the game of thrones books..... i'm in the start of another trilogy at the moment, but once i get that done, game of thrones is next
scrapcode13
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrapcode13.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by scrapcode13 »

The more I read the series the madder I become at Katniss. lol
Twarg

Post by Twarg »

I just started reading this series, too. I agree that there are perhaps too many characters introduced all at once, but it's not the first book I've met that has been written like that. It's well worth the read! The book is so good! I had watched the first season on TV and stopped when I realized it was a book series. Usually I read books before watching the TV show/movie, so it's kind of strange for me to be able to picture and hear each character so clearly. Not many TV shows out there that come close to being as good as the book, but this is definitely one.
AbydosLN13

Post by AbydosLN13 »

Im currently halfway through the second book in the series. The first one was amazing, but really requires the reader to be constantly involved. Because of the amount of characters, if you put the book down for too long, you'll forget who and where you are reading about. The maps and the index of families certainly help, and occasionally you'll have to flip back to re-read a chapter as to make sure you have the characters consistent, but if you want a book series that you can get lost in, this is it. One thing I have liked about the series is that you as the reader are thrust into this world with little to no explanation of whats happening, who these people are, and what their culture is. As a small example,the only way to really start to learn what a "Maester" does is to keep reading. The same goes for the Dothraki. In many situations, you learn who they are based upon their actions or reactions to certain events. Another great thing about this book is the complexity of the characters. The second book really hits upon this fact, so if you feel like Eddard is sort of bland, just remember that there are a ton more characters with many more exciting events ahead of them. There is no clearly defined good and bad in this series which has the reader liking characters of opposing factions, leaving me to wonder who I should be cheering for at the end of the day. Its a wonderful read, and for the most part, I feel like every chapter is needed in the book. Definitely worth the buy if you are willing to invest the time and focus in the book series.
karoosie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karoosie.html

Post by karoosie »

I am in love with this series, even though the books are long and are taking me quite some time to get through. I just started reading the third book in the series, A Storm of Swords. The series is just so well written and enthraling, and the tv show on h o is fairly close to the book (season 1 at least) and awesome as well
scrapcode13
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrapcode13.html

Post by scrapcode13 »

scrapcode13 wrote:The more I read the series the madder I become at Katniss. lol
I don't know what happened to me in this post. :x :oops: I mistook the title as "Hunger Games". Sorry.

Either way, A Game of Thrones is just the first book of a really intriguing series. The plot is like Frank Herbert's Dune, political machinations in a science-fiction world. But this book and all the others in this series is not for the "happy ending" people out there as you will keep on guessing which main character will be killed next. Or, if they are really dead.

The King in the North!
cnoteblues

Post by cnoteblues »

I read the first book when it first came out I think it was in 1996. I really enjoy the series but do not get too concerned with how long the books are. You will most likely catch up, because it usually take 5 years for the next book to come out. The 5th book just came out last year. The last two books were slow going in my opinion as he seams to setting up the characters for the final 2 books.
EmmaH
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmah.html
Latest Review: "The Ambition of Madame LaFargue" by Henri Duval

Post by EmmaH »

I also started reading the books after seeing the first season of the HBO series. I can't decide if it's the most well casted T.V. show ever, or if I just pictured the characters so clearly because I had seen the series first. Either way, it's definitely one of the few cases where the series is as good, if not better than the books in my opinion.

I've read the entire series over the last year, and am so bummed that it looks like it will be a while before "The Winds of Winter" comes out. I can't imagine how those who have been reading the series since the 90's feel! The best book so far in my opinion hands down, was "A Storm of Swords", the third in the series. My only gripe with the series is that I disagreed with Martin's decision to break up the 4th and 5th books by character, rather than chronologically. Or at least, I think he could have broken up the characters a bit better. "A Feast of Crows" left out nearly all of my character characters, while introducing a ton of new ones.

That being said, I can't wait to read the next one. Last I heard, Martin has hinted at 2014, but was not making any promises, so I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, the series starts up again in March!
Latest Review: "The Ambition of Madame LaFargue" by Henri Duval
bbartnik

Post by bbartnik »

Unlike you guys, I started watching the show after I had already read through all 5 of the books. I couldn't help but feel that the show was missing so much depth and that the immense detail and experience of the world in which the characters lived in was lacking compared to the books (this is the case with most books turned into TV shows for me, I prefer the books). Simply the fact that someone can create a book with such a vivid world and incredible amount of characters is stunning to me. The book seems like a second world to me. That being said, please read the books. You will not regret it, there is much more to learn in them than just a story, so much of it applies to today's world as well.
cmw83
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Game of Thrones
Currently Reading: Rush by Maya Banks
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by cmw83 »

I strongly recommend that you read this book and the others to this series. It is one of my favorite books of all time. What I love about this book despite the fact that it is a fantasy the characters and the situations that arises you can see happening in the real world. Not only that the author George R.R. Martin did the same thing that Tolkien Did for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and gave the book its own mythlogy and religion which is not an easy feat. You have characters you love, characters you love to hate and characters you can't help but like. The only downfall that I can find is in book four and five. Like EmmaH pointed out the break up of the characters in the the books really put a damper on the series. However I can see why it was done. According to one of the reviews I've read on my kindle it was necessary to do since the bigger part of the war of the kings is over. I won't type anymore in case anyone who hasn't read the books is reading this I don't want to spoil the book for you. :wink:
Springer Mom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-springer-mom.html

Post by Springer Mom »

Game of Thrones is one of the best series in the genre of Fantasy/Sci Fi. There are so many characters and plot lines that it is easy to get sucked into a reading frenzy in order to 'find out what happens'. The last two books drag a little -- more new characters, and no resolution to previous story lines. And I hope we don't have to wait another 7 years for the author to give us a new installment.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I find the books really hit and miss. I really liked first two. Found Part one of A storm of swords boring but loved the second part. Really didn't like A Feast for all crows but I'm enjoying Dance with Dragons. My problem is some of the character's stories I really like but then so many new characters are introduced, I feel like I can't connect with al of them.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

I've loved the TV show so much that I'm going to start reading them!
jackiesilerbell
Favorite Book: not possible to choose
Currently Reading: Playing with Boys Chronicles of Narnia

Post by jackiesilerbell »

Love the show, can't wait to read the books!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”