Double Post

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Butterbescotch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Double Post

Post by Butterbescotch »

There are times when a poster wants to update a thread but can't since he have already posted. The post may be valuable to the continuance of the thread. Also, if he just uses the "Edit" button. It is futile since people can't see a thread buried deep.

What I'm suggesting is, double post should be allowed but with a lag time. For instance, a person can't double post if he posted in the same day but if he posted the next day, next week or month. It should be allowed.

What do you think? I hope I presented myself clear :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Butterbescotch on 21 May 2011, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Its a good idea but sadly we are stuck with this version of the forum software and i cant see Scott updating it anytime soon since he also admins about 20 other forums in the exact same style as this.

I would suggest if a thread is very old (a year or so) and you wanted to update it then start a new one to keep it in the public attention. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Oh. That's a bit sad. I thought he only manages 3 forums. Anyways, I hope he can visit us anytime soon.

That alternative is not really as good as the double post. Since some threads have already several pages and it is good to revive the conversation.

Thanks for the reply Stephenkingman

PS: I've reported some threads. Do you receive the reports?
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Butterbescotch wrote:Oh. That's a bit sad. I thought he only manages 3 forums. Anyways, I hope he can visit us anytime soon.

That alternative is not really as good as the double post. Since some threads have already several pages and it is good to revive the conversation.

Thanks for the reply Stephenkingman

PS: I've reported some threads. Do you receive the reports?
Scott manages several forums, which probably means he wont be changing style anytime soon, im afraid..

Yes, i receive all reports and they are closed out the day i get them, thanks to you and everyone here who reports posts and threads. :D
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I don't how and why but I keep on glitching sometimes and I can double post, Teesie has even seen it before.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Jacob wrote:I don't how and why but I keep on glitching sometimes and I can double post, Teesie has even seen it before.
Bug? How do you do it?
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Butterbescotch wrote:
Jacob wrote:I don't how and why but I keep on glitching sometimes and I can double post, Teesie has even seen it before.
Bug? How do you do it?
I'm not sure, it randomly does it sometimes.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Teesie

Post by Teesie »

Yea, sometimes it's just a blank post before or after the actual post, and sometimes I've even seen the same one repeated. It's never happened to me before, but I've seen it happen several times for other members.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Isn't the timestamp on the post updated when it is edited so that it will show up as a new post for others?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Scott, may i suggest that the double posting option be allowed again? I have tried to bump a few old popular threads but if im the last poster, my new post simply appears as an "edited " version of my previous post and is lost deep under the threads above it with nobody to see the new message. I think allowing threads to be bumped with new posts would be a very useful feature, can you look into it please. :D
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the suggestion. Incidentally, I can actually easily enable bumping without disabling the automatic double post prevention. That would be fairly easy to do as bumping is a standard feature of the forum software. Although, I may be inclined to only allow moderators the power to bump topics--and any topics not just their own--rather than open this privilege up entirely.

Another possible option is for me to make it so editing the last post in a topic changes the last post time, as used to be the case, which would in effect bump the topic.

Of course, I also want to look into how bumping will work exactly. One thing to consider is that only the default forum sort order is to sort by the time of the last post in a topic. Any user when logged in can change this default for him or herself in the User Control Panel, also any user can at any time temporarily override the default using the sort options on the page of the forum or topic they happen to be browsing. I will check to see how 'bumping' works with that.

-- 08 Dec 2011 05:16 pm --

Of course, as a moderator you can also stick (and unstick) topics as you please if there is a topic you want to keep at the top. Sticky topics will be at the top regardless of the sort order set by the user.

-- 08 Dec 2011 05:45 pm --

I have enabled bumping. 'New members,' i.e. those with less than 10 posts, are not able to use the bumping feature. Bumping is only available after 5 days have passed since the post or since the last bump. Only the topic starter or the user who last posted in the topic are able to bump the topic. (Other people can cause the topic to get bumped simply by replying to it.) The information regarding bumped topics should be visible after the signature of the last post. Please test this out for me.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Hi Scott and thanks for reply. I have tried to bump the "Online Book Club Pub" thread a few minutes ago but it still just appears as an edit, following on from the last time i tried bumping it, which was on 5th december, and hence outside the range you set in Admin control panel. I have now stickied the thread and maybe my bump appears as new to other members but not me, although thats unlikely. Maybe i have missed something small but is still only appears as an edited version of the previous post, can you have another look Scott when you get a chance, its probably something small.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There should actually be a bump button that you can use without replying at all. But it will only appear on posts after 5 days from the last bump or the last post. I will look into it.

StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Scott wrote:There should actually be a bump button that you can use without replying at all. But it will only appear on posts after 5 days from the last bump or the last post. I will look into it.
Oops my mistake Scott, i just now saw the "bump topic" option when i was looking at another old thread to bump, i knew it was something small like that, problem solved!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”