Book Reviewers Wanted, Free Books (or $) for Honest Reviews

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Book Reviewers Wanted, Free Books (or $) for Honest Reviews

Post by Scott »

The up-to-date short version:

Please use the Usergroups tab of the User Control Panel to request to join the review team groups. Once your membership is approved, there will be a link at the top of the forum index to the Review Team Page where you will be able to choose from an assortment of free books in exchange for writing a review of whichever book you choose. Some reviews come with a payment of money in addition to the free book! If you are an author or publisher (or if you are a member of the review team who is curious how the front end is for authors), please go to:

http://onlinebookclub.org/review-requests/

The long, old version:

I am working on setting up a book review system for independent authors and publishers wanting to get the word out about their books. I will create a group with a special list viewable only to reviewers in which I will post a short summary of a book that is available. On a first come first serve basis, whoever is interested in getting a free copy of the book can opt to do so. In return, you will read and write an honest review of the book. If do not like the book or hate it so much you do not even want to finish reading it, that's fine. Your 'review' can simply be given to the author as constructive criticism. So this is actually simple idea, you review a book in exchange for getting a free copy of the book.

It is greatly preferred that you have an ereader because the review copies will generally be in digital format. You can read ebooks on a computer or smart phone if you do not mind, but I personally never enjoyed doing that before I had my Nook. The review copies will generally be in digital format simply because it essentially costs the author/publisher nothing to give a copy of book to us in digital format. Of course, you will be expected to respect the copyrights of the book and not share your free copy with anyone else.

You will be expected to write a review of the book and rate it on a scale of 1-4. The review will need to be at least a couple paragraphs. In the review you just want to briefly summarize the book in your own words, briefly explain what you liked and/or didn't like about it the book/story, briefly explain if and why you would or would not recommend others read it. Of course, if you hate the book or don't even want to finish it then the 'review' can take a more undefined form, simply being a brief explanation to the author (who for instance obviously doesn't need you to summarize the book) which acts as constructive criticism.

This is a completely free process for you, the potential reviewer. You will not be told you have to review a certain book, but rather you will have the opportunity to choose to be the reviewer of a book as the free copies come in. So you really have nothing to lose by volunteering for this. I am just asking for volunteers ahead of time simply to get an idea of how many people are interested and to make it so I can communicate in the future only with those who are interested about it, rather than annoying uninterested people with information about free books available to read.

If this works out, I think it will become a win-win for everyone. These new, independent authors will have a chance to get the word out about their book--assuming it is good enough to a peak the interest of a voluntary reviewer and get a good review. The reviewer will get access to free copies of books. And the community will have the chance of being notified via review by trusted members about new, good books (as opposed to the author/publisher trying to spam the reviews section himself). If you are like me you are not interested when an author of a new book tells you it is good, but if a trusted reviewer reads an unknown, independent book and recommends it then I see that as potential chance of discovering a gem.

I think the success of this depends most on getting enough reviewers and enough free review copies to effectively play matchmaker, since most books won't interest most reviewers especially since we are usually talking about independent books that haven't undergone the vetting process of traditional publishing and that do not already have reviews you can use to decide if they are worth your time or not.

Please consider whether you have an ereader, or if not whether you have another way to read ebooks that you do not mind (e.g. on your computer or smart phone), or if you would only be interested in getting physical copies of the books in the mail (which would still be free, but would limit your options greatly). Also if you can, please roughly estimate the frequency with which you think you would review books--assuming there was always some available that interest you enough at least since they are free.

Update: I have set this up. Please use the Usergroups tab of the User Control Panel to request to join the review team groups. If you are an author or publisher (or if you are a member of the review team who is curious how the front end is for authors), please go to:

http://onlinebookclub.org/review-requests/
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

This could be very interesting Scott ... I'd be happy to give it a try.
I have a Kindle & I also use the Kindle App on my laptop. Allowing for writing the review I think a book a month is probably as much as I would commit to (allowing for the TBR list which is always growing!).
Who knows we might discover the next Dan Browne :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Kokiloki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kokiloki »

Sounds like a great idea. I would be more than willing to try a book a month (unfortunately life, job, etc. cuts into my reading time). Don't have an e-reader but can read online, or would be pleased to accept print copies. When can we start?
the tiger fights

Post by the tiger fights »

Hello Scott,

I just joined the forum and noticed your post. I think the project you are initiating is wonderful. I have just published my first novel as a POD project and recognize a real need for such collaboration. The POD world is an uphill battle, with bookstores and reviewers shying away from our products.( or are they turning their backs ) I realize that quality is a concern in the POD market, but there is also a lot of exceptional talent that seems to be sadly overlooked. With that said, let me volunteer to be the first one to offer my book for your review system. The title is "Vengeance Is Sacred." It is work of historical fiction that blends, history, love, and the complexities of revenge . . . with the mysteries of the paranormal. I can provide paperback, PDF, PRC, or epub files for your reviewers. It is listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.
Let me know when you are ready.

Thank You,
the tiger fights :roll:
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

i've sent a pm :)
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
Eskatra

Post by Eskatra »

I know I'm new to the forum, but I would adore to take part in this. I'm totally fine with reading books on my computer or my smartphone - have yet to be able to get an eReader, but I plan to get one eventually, if only for convenience's sake. But I've no problem reading digital copies from my phone.
seayork2002

Post by seayork2002 »

I would love to be included (but am in Australia) but although I would love an "ereader" do not have one yet! (any offers :)) so paper copies for now please (if selected that is!) and I could read 2 a month.

Hope this is all ok and thank you either way!
dcmerkle
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by dcmerkle »

Hi,
I would love to review a book. I do not have an digital reader and I still love to hold a book in my hands, so a paper copy would be greatly preferred for myself.

DCMerkle
Schmunzelmonster

Post by Schmunzelmonster »

Hello,

this is a wonderful idea. I guess I would be able to read/reaview one book a month. I prefer reading on my kindle, but own an iPad as well. This way I can read almost any ebook.

I hope this project works out.

Schmunzelmonster
FeKuls

Post by FeKuls »

Hi Scott,

This sounds like an amazing project. I would love to read books and give feedback in paragraph form. I am able to read books via my laptop and paperback, but am hoping to get an eReader very soon! Hope we all hear back from you! :)
yas88

Post by yas88 »

Hello,

I would love to reveiw books. I can access books online however much prefer the hard copy as I am currently expanding my library.
Would love to start ASAP!
Sadmag
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadmag.html

Post by Sadmag »

I have a Kindle and also an IPad and would be happy to review books. It sounds like a great opportunity for those of us who love to read and also for the authors.
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

Hi. I am an avid reader (reading 4 - 6 books per week). I took speed reading in college and do not seem to be able to slow it down. I would be interesting in reviewing books for your project. I have a Nook so can read ebooks in the right format. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Debra
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have created the page where authors/publishers can request a review. I have also created a private forum where I will post the processed review requests. I have also created two usergroups, one for users who are willing and able to read ebooks and the other for users wishing to review tradtional books, I have added the following users to both groups:

Fran
Kokiloki
El_greco
Eskatra
Schmunzelmonster
FeKuls
Sadmag
goldengate

I have added the following users only to the "traditional" group:
seayork2002
dcmerkle
yas88

Anyone else wishing to get access to free copies of books in exchange for honest reviews will need to request to join one or both of these groups at the Usergroups tab of the User Control Panel. You can also use that tab to resign from a group if you no longer wish to participate or to request to join the other group if you are a member of only one.

In any case, please be patient as I continue to work to get the ball rolling on this.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kowalskil

Post by Kowalskil »

Kokiloki wrote:Sounds like a great idea. I would be more than willing to try a book a month (unfortunately life, job, etc. cuts into my reading time). Don't have an e-reader but can read online, or would be pleased to accept print copies. When can we start?
Yes, it is a good idea.

Ludwik Kowalski

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”