Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Discuss the May 2016 Book of the Month, Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood.

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Bookshelves

View Save the Last Bullet for God on Amazon

Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#1 by gali
» 01 May 2016, 22:29

What did you think about the relationship between the two? About the violent escape scene, the passing drugs to an addict which results in his death, the killing of the elder patient, and the fact that the protagonist wasn't punished for his acts?
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22706
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#2 by Vermont Reviews
» 02 May 2016, 07:33

I think it is a great thing the author has the power to do whatever they want to the characters. And all we can do is read it. Although we can dislike it. This is why I love books so very much. Power to the author.
User avatar
Vermont Reviews
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 02 Apr 2016, 09:52
Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Storm of Arranon
Bookshelf Size: 342 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#3 by Rhoe_Marrow
» 02 May 2016, 10:18

Vermont Reviews wrote:I think it is a great thing the author has the power to do whatever they want to the characters. And all we can do is read it. Although we can dislike it. This is why I love books so very much. Power to the author.

However if the author abuses his power it can make the story appear unrealistic and not sway the reader. I've read a couple of books that I have written off as 'cheesy' because the author decided to add everything but the kitchen sink in their books. Or how about when young authors make their characters 'invincible'?
User avatar
Rhoe_Marrow
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 26 Apr 2016, 10:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#4 by gaporter
» 02 May 2016, 10:35

I didn't particularly care for the fact that the psychiatrist had no punishment for his part in the Maria's escape or, even prior to that, his relationship with her as his patient. Maybe given the time in history it would have been harder to trace his part in the addicts death and the drug smuggling, but it still seems strange to me that he would be allowed to continue to pursue a career in medicine after the fiasco.
User avatar
gaporter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 13:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#5 by gali
» 02 May 2016, 10:56

gaporter wrote:I didn't particularly care for the fact that the psychiatrist had no punishment for his part in the Maria's escape or, even prior to that, his relationship with her as his patient. Maybe given the time in history it would have been harder to trace his part in the addicts death and the drug smuggling, but it still seems strange to me that he would be allowed to continue to pursue a career in medicine after the fiasco.


I found that odd as well.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22706
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#6 by Vermont Reviews
» 03 May 2016, 07:28

This is what I love about the forums. We all get to express our opinions. We can agree to disagree.
User avatar
Vermont Reviews
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 02 Apr 2016, 09:52
Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Storm of Arranon
Bookshelf Size: 342 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#7 by Rhoe_Marrow
» 03 May 2016, 11:47

I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.
User avatar
Rhoe_Marrow
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 26 Apr 2016, 10:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#8 by gaporter
» 03 May 2016, 11:53

Rhoe_Marrow wrote:I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.


I think that some of it could be attributed to the time period as mental hospitals were not exactly known to be the most safe and pleasant places to be back then. By today's standards, if a supervisor knew about an inappropriate relationship between a nurse and a patient, that nurse would be out of there so fast and the supervisor may even be liable as well. There didn't appear to be much oversight of the nurses or the psychiatrists in this hospital.
User avatar
gaporter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 13:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#9 by Rhoe_Marrow
» 03 May 2016, 13:22

gaporter wrote:
Rhoe_Marrow wrote:I thought it was a little funny that he got played. The horrible part about it was that people were hurt through out the process. I blame the head psychiatrist in all this. He went on about all his years of experience, knew full well what this guy was going and then responded so mildly. it was odd.


I think that some of it could be attributed to the time period as mental hospitals were not exactly known to be the most safe and pleasant places to be back then. By today's standards, if a supervisor knew about an inappropriate relationship between a nurse and a patient, that nurse would be out of there so fast and the supervisor may even be liable as well. There didn't appear to be much oversight of the nurses or the psychiatrists in this hospital.


The main guy also made a good point when he told the doctor that him sticking to his original diagnosis contributed to all the mayhem. Maybe there is a part of the doctor that felt the same way and, because of this, chose not to punish the med student.
User avatar
Rhoe_Marrow
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 26 Apr 2016, 10:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#10 by gaporter
» 03 May 2016, 13:24

That's a good point. He wouldn't want himself to be investigated, would he?
User avatar
gaporter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 13:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#11 by L_Therese
» 03 May 2016, 20:19

I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.
User avatar
L_Therese
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 05:21
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1915 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 5%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#12 by gali
» 03 May 2016, 23:25

L_Therese wrote:I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.


I found the relationship with the patient disturbing as well.

A good point about the Karma.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22706
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#13 by Vermont Reviews
» 04 May 2016, 10:30

I love all the discussion about the book this month.
User avatar
Vermont Reviews
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: 02 Apr 2016, 09:52
Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Storm of Arranon
Bookshelf Size: 342 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#14 by gaporter
» 04 May 2016, 10:39

L_Therese wrote:I found the relationship with the patient much more disturbing than the passing of drugs to an addict. Both are bad behaviors, but the former seems like more of a violation of trust than the latter. Plotwise, I was not all that bothered by the lack of immediate and obvious punishment. The doctor appeared to be avoiding paperwork, which is an understandable motive, and our psychiatrist was punished in a more karmic sense later in life when he realized that he was only a tool. I can't admire these characters, but I think I understand them.


I agree that the relationship seems worse than passing the drugs. A patient in a mental hospital cannot legally consent, I believe. It also didn't seem to be too much reciprocated. He appeared in her room with flowers and there wasn't much she could really do about the situation. He kind of imposed himself on her, though she did have her wits collected enough to make use of the situation.
User avatar
gaporter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 03 Oct 2015, 13:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Re: Maria and the Psychiatrist- spilers

Post Number:#15 by tortoise keeper
» 04 May 2016, 16:04

I agree. Psychiatric hospitals were pretty scary during the time period in the story especially since there were few medications and effective treatments. I doubt there was as much attention paid to appropriate staff/patient relationships either. Having worked in several mental health facilities over the last 20 years that kind of behavior would not be tolerated today.
tortoise keeper's Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
User avatar
tortoise keeper
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 45 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Navigation

Return Home » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood