Official Review: Infinium Issue 6 by Richard Perez

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Infinium Issue 6 by Richard Perez

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infinium Issue 6" by Richard Perez.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To be totally honest, I haven't read a comic book in at least 15 years. Even then, it wasn't Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or any of the more popular characters - I read Sonic the Hedgehog! However, comics are awesome - they're compact adventures that let us see what's going on with fantastic art. Although Infinium Issue 6 by Richard Perez is the final chapter in the Infinium series, the opportunity to get back into reading comics was too hard to resist.

In the Infinium series, Brian Villa and many other beings from across the universe have been abducted by The Infinium and taken to the battle world of Dudara. Here, they must battle one another to the death until only one remains who will earn immense power. Brian doesn't know why he was chosen for the battle and, as a pacifist, doesn't even want the reward! If he wants to see his wife and child again, however, he'll have to fight and win.

The recap of the first five stories made the story feel like a superpowered twist on Highlander - a battle for immense power wherein killing others takes their power. Much like Highlander, there are also friendships and alliances as well, which are as important as the fighting itself. Brian, for example, has allied himself with The Eteriman in an effort to take down the villainous Arnok the Invincible. Arnok the Invincible wants not only to destroy Brian and The Eteriman but also their home worlds!

Infinium Issue 6 really tries to catch a reader up: in addition to the wall of text before the comic, a brief recap within the comic does a solid job as well, and references to previous comics are called out throughout the issue. However, even with all of this it never fully welcomed me to its world. I never actually understood what powers anyone had, for example, so certain events didn't make sense to me. Because I haven't read the first five issues I also didn't feel the weight behind many of the events; things that may have been a huge deal for people who read the whole series meant little to nothing to me.

Perhaps worst of all, however, was the fact that the story felt rushed. There just wasn't enough time dwelling on certain events and it felt like the conclusion that should have been epic just kinda happened... There was nowhere near enough time for events to sink in, let alone time to build up to them. The comic could have easily used double the pages - it was around 51 but I would've preferred at least 100 pages to cover this much story.

I really felt like this comic had a great deal of potential and then just fell flat. The art is expressive and explosive, especially in the fighting scenes, the writing had some poignant parts and the concept of a superpowered Highlander comic series was amazing! Unfortunately, the comic just felt like it was moving way too fast and there were even a handful of grammatical errors. As such, I'm giving Infinium Issue 6 2 out of 4 stars. I definitely can't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read previous issues (like myself), but those who have read the first five issues should give it a shot.

Infinium Issue 6
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”