Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Shot Down" by Steve Snyder

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Crew Members

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.

Crew Members

Post Number:#1 by hsimone
» 03 Apr 2016, 14:23

While reading Shot Down, Steve Synder provides description of Howard and his B-17 crew, their responsibilities, and we learn about some of their families.

- Was there a crew member in particular that stuck out to you? Maybe their story struck you interesting?
- Did you think that one of their jobs was more challenging than others?
- Thoughts about the members in general.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Marley & Me
Bookshelf Size: 397 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Crew Members

Post Number:#2 by Lulubelle
» 06 Apr 2016, 00:14

It was incredible to me that the ball turret gunners had so little space they had to crawl into position and then sit in cramped conditions without their parachutes. I have respect for all the crew, but especially for those guys.
Lulubelle

Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by Taylor Razzani
» 09 Apr 2016, 13:02

Lulubelle wrote:It was incredible to me that the ball turret gunners had so little space they had to crawl into position and then sit in cramped conditions without their parachutes. I have respect for all the crew, but especially for those guys.

Right before I started reading this I visited an air museum and they had a display of how the ball turret gunners were situated. I can't imagine how they dealt with it, it looked so uncomfortable! Though by the sound of it the whole flying experience was pretty tough.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#4 by LivreAmour217
» 13 Apr 2016, 15:42

Lulubelle wrote:It was incredible to me that the ball turret gunners had so little space they had to crawl into position and then sit in cramped conditions without their parachutes. I have respect for all the crew, but especially for those guys.

These guys left quite an impression on me as well. Flying missions in the B-17 was dangerous enough, but as you said, being in that cramped space without a parachute made it much worse. Reading this book also made me develop of special kind of respect for the ball turret gunners.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#5 by gali
» 14 Apr 2016, 06:21

I found them all admirable. The book made me to appreciate and respect them more.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Caraval
Bookshelf Size: 1591 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#6 by Kia
» 14 Apr 2016, 14:38

I agree. I think that every job was both better and worse than every other job in some way. Overall though I think every single crew member must have had nerves of steel just to get into the plane every time. I really liked how much detail was given about each crew member's responsibilities, as well as how important it was for them all to work together. If one member of the team failed to do their job properly, it likely meant death for them all. I can't imagine how strong a bond crew members must have had with each other.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kia

Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#7 by hsimone
» 15 Apr 2016, 01:14

Kia wrote:I agree. I think that every job was both better and worse than every other job in some way. Overall though I think every single crew member must have had nerves of steel just to get into the plane every time. I really liked how much detail was given about each crew member's responsibilities, as well as how important it was for them all to work together. If one member of the team failed to do their job properly, it likely meant death for them all. I can't imagine how strong a bond crew members must have had with each other.

I agree, Kia. The crew members must have had nerves of steel just to get on the plane knowing what lied ahead of them. It was scary enough for them to be going into war, but surviving the plane ride seemed almost just as unnerving.

I also could not believe how strong the bond between the crew must have been. Then, thinking about if a crew member became ill and had to be replaced by substitute, the pressure on both the original crew members and the new one must have been rough. It disrupted their flow and with a new crew member who may not know the routine or the ins-and-outs of the plane may risk everyone's lives was another risk.
hsimone

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Apr 2016, 04:13

I found George Eike very memorable. It was probably because of what his father, Derwood, did when their plane flew over the Eike's residence. Or it was probably because it was Helen Eike who constantly correspond with Susan Snyder. I felt very emotional when he fell down with the other 7 airmen.
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "The Seer" by JD Stanley
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Me!
Bookshelf Size: 306 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#9 by Taylor Razzani
» 16 Apr 2016, 12:37

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I found George Eike very memorable. It was probably because of what his father, Derwood, did when their plane flew over the Eike's residence. Or it was probably because it was Helen Eike who constantly correspond with Susan Snyder. I felt very emotional when he fell down with the other 7 airmen.

Thanks for that. I felt more for him than some of the other crewmen, but I wasn't sure why exactly. Those examples make sense, maybe the book mentioned more about him and his family too, but I was very upset when he was killed as well. I actually had to go back and read a few pages before that to make sure it really happened.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#10 by hsimone
» 18 Apr 2016, 03:12

Taylor Razzani wrote:
kimmyschemy06 wrote:I found George Eike very memorable. It was probably because of what his father, Derwood, did when their plane flew over the Eike's residence. Or it was probably because it was Helen Eike who constantly correspond with Susan Snyder. I felt very emotional when he fell down with the other 7 airmen.

Thanks for that. I felt more for him than some of the other crewmen, but I wasn't sure why exactly. Those examples make sense, maybe the book mentioned more about him and his family too, but I was very upset when he was killed as well. I actually had to go back and read a few pages before that to make sure it really happened.

Those are great examples, kimmyschemy06, just like Taylor Razzani said. I also felt extremely sad when he didn't make it. I'm also thinking that since he was the co-pilot and Howard pilot and had to receive the same training, they've probably built a stronger connection. So like you said Taylor, he might have been mentioned a bit more than the others and therefore stuck out a little more.
hsimone

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by abithacker
» 18 Apr 2016, 12:00

Snyder was definitely the crew member that struck me the most. Probably because of the wife and children that he loved so much. I can't imagine what it would be like to leave those you love, knowing you might not come back.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
abithacker's Latest Review: "Warphan" by J.D. Mulcey
abithacker

Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 29 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books

Post Number:#12 by bookowlie
» 25 Apr 2016, 12:14

Kia wrote:I agree. I think that every job was both better and worse than every other job in some way. Overall though I think every single crew member must have had nerves of steel just to get into the plane every time. I really liked how much detail was given about each crew member's responsibilities, as well as how important it was for them all to work together. If one member of the team failed to do their job properly, it likely meant death for them all. I can't imagine how strong a bond crew members must have had with each other.

I agree. Every crew member's function was so necessary to the process that one slip-up could mean death. It was so important that they all worked together perfectly. That's why it would be difficult sometimes if a co-pilot was sent to fly with another crew. It was so necessary for everyone to have the right chemistry and be able to work perfectly together.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "The Caregiver" by Maria Theresa Casale
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 217 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#13 by Kia
» 25 Apr 2016, 13:03

bookowlie wrote:

I agree. Every crew member's function was so necessary to the process that one slip-up could mean death. It was so important that they all worked together perfectly. That's why it would be difficult sometimes if a co-pilot was sent to fly with another crew. It was so necessary for everyone to have the right chemistry and be able to work perfectly together.

Absolutely! I couldn't believe how often crews were separated. While I understand that there was a need for it sometimes, I can't even imagine how much more difficult it would have been to work together with people that you don't know intimately in a plane you also do not know.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by bookowlie
» 25 Apr 2016, 13:07

Kia wrote:
bookowlie wrote:

Absolutely! I couldn't believe how often crews were separated. While I understand that there was a need for it sometimes, I can't even imagine how much more difficult it would have been to work together with people that you don't know intimately in a plane you also do not know.

That, coupled with their young age and inexperience, was problematic. I was astounded how young all of the crew members were.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie's Latest Review: "The Caregiver" by Maria Theresa Casale
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 217 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#15 by Kia
» 25 Apr 2016, 15:38

bookowlie wrote:
Kia wrote:
bookowlie wrote:

That, coupled with their young age and inexperience, was problematic. I was astounded how young all of the crew members were.

That is true, though I doubt that in this case being older would have meant more experience. Even WWI veterans serving wouldn't have had the training to deal with this new technology. Being young might have been an asset in this case. Quicker reflexes, a more fearless attitude, etc. Though I do agree that a lot of these "men" are not far enough removed from being boys to be so far away from home risking their lives.
Kia

View Reviewer Page

Next