November Book of the Month

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Discussion of Flowers for Algernon

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. Each book of the month get's it's own whole subforum in this forum. Click here to nominate books for book of the month.

How do you rate Flowers for Algernon?

1 star - Poor, Bad
No votes
2 stars - Okay, Fair
No votes
3 stars - Good, Like
17%
4 stars - Excellent, Love
83%

Total votes : 24

Flowers for Algernon symbolism

Post Number:#16  Postby Clovertechie » 23 Aug 2011, 18:14

I thought that some one earlier had mentioned the fact that "Norma" was chosen as Charlie's sister's name. I couldn't find the post, but have to confess that it was not an original thought, and didn't occur to me during the reading.

The change of season is something that I dearly love in my area of the country, and is something I look for and identify with in reading. Keyes has Charlie's surgery performed in early March, just before the emergence of spring. Through the spring and summer, his intellect flourished and he grows mentally and emotionally. By the end of summer, Charlie (per Erikson's developmental stages) has achieved "maturity" - understanding that "love and work" are necessary. As the days shorten and grow colder and more dreary, Charlie checks himself into Warren to spend his remaining days in the cold isolation of his own mind's "winter."
Clovertechie

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17  Postby Awesomenorms » 31 Aug 2011, 00:01

I started reading Flowers for Algernon online but haven't really finished it yet. I think I'll go back and finish reading it. Then I will post my review about it.
Awesomenorms

Re: Discussion of Flowers for Algernon

Post Number:#18  Postby YellowButterfly85 » 31 Oct 2011, 12:04

I loved Flowers for Algernon. I had to read it twice, once in junior high and once in high school. Each time I learned something new from it. Incredible story.
YellowButterfly85

Post Number:#19  Postby sblake » 06 Oct 2013, 21:48

This is one of those books you never forget. I was just telling someone about it this week. It was a real eye opening book for me on how we view ourselves and our place in society. One of my all time favorites.
sblake

Post Number:#20  Postby sjschleis » 15 Jan 2014, 21:43

I felt bad for Charlie when the people at his work would make fun of him. Not cool
sjschleis

Post Number:#21  Postby moongoddess13 » 03 Feb 2014, 17:00

I am new to this site, but I just came across this discussion and it reminded me of how much I loved this book. I first read it when I was in high school, and as many have said here, it stuck with me. I have read it again as an adult, and it remains as intriguing and gripping as it did when I was younger.
I think the reader is drawn in to the emotional side of the characters, not only Charlie, but the others who interact with him as well. I think as human beings, we have all experienced or at the very least, witnessed some of the things that are addressed in this book. I think it would be a good addition to high school reading classes or freshman college classes, not only for the academic literature part of it, but also for the compassion for humanity it teaches.
moongoddess13

Post Number:#22  Postby jamespoet » 30 Mar 2014, 07:35

I've not yet had the chance to read the novel, but I have read the original novellette and from what I understand the novel just expands certain elements so I will put in my two cents.

This was one of three stories in 8th grade which inspired me to be a writer (The other two being HARRISON BERGERON and A SOUND OF THUNDER). It was so powerful and I am not ashamed to say it made me cry. One man's qust for understanding and learning giving him more than he could hope for, and in the process more than he could chew, made me want so badly for Charly to find his peace.

From wht I understand, people are constantly trying to ban this book in school and in libraries, due to mild sexual themes in the book version. That is sick to me. Do not ban or censor this beautiful story.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
jamespoet

Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451

Post Number:#23  Postby stoppoppingtheP » 28 May 2014, 09:06

I found this book very sad, yet profound. We did this book at school (quite a while ago), but I have not forgotten about it.

What got me was the fact that the powerful/clever people in the world will use people like Charlie in their experiments just like labrats (or mice) in order to learn more. Is it worth it?
People are who they are.
Not who you think they are.
Not who you want them to be.
stoppoppingtheP

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#24  Postby KEW » 03 Jun 2014, 00:59

This is one of my favorite books. It has an important message, and the way it is written is beautiful. I used it for all of my children when I home educated them, with the exception of the youngest. Now, that I have been reminded of it, by finding this thread, I will remember to introduce my youngest daughter to the book as well. I know with all of the other children, we had incredible discussions. I am looking forward to the discussions with her as well. Even more so, I am looking forward to reading it again.
KEW

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#25  Postby Sveta » 26 Jun 2014, 21:49

I'm pretty I sure I read the story, and I found it sad yet heartwarming.
Sveta

View Reviewer Page

Previous