Nominate Books for Book of the Month (see restrictions)

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Readitall
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Nominate Books for Book of the Month

Post by Readitall »

I nominate a new book that really changed the way I view life. "How Big Is Our Universe? Mathematical Analogies" by Dr. Anwar Hamdi. Not much people know about Dr. Hamdi, I was fortunate enough to know Arabic and have followed his work before he writes his first book in English. He used very interesting and enjoyable analogies that will make the astronomical sizes of the universe graspable. buy this book from Amazon!
KarenBell

Post by KarenBell »

I'd like to nominate my book, Walking with Elephants. It has gotten some really good reviews and is a lighthearted tale about the serious work/life issues facing women today--Bridget Jones meets Erma Bomback
Sherry2011

Post by Sherry2011 »

I nominate "The Winters in Bloom" by Lisa Tucker to be the "Book of the month".
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
fav_author_id: 12304

Post by Mrs.T »

"Revolutionary Road"
Written by: Richard Yates
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Yay its Nov! So what's the book for the month? :mrgreen:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

[quote="Butterbescotch"]Yay its Nov! So what's the book for the month? :mrgreen:[/quote]

@Butter
It's 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery & Scott has the discussion thread set up on 'Book of the Month' Forum. Enjoy
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Indeed, you can currently at the time of this post start discussing The Elegance of the Hedgehog and cast your vote for the December book of the month. As always, you can use this topic to nomination a book. As of the time of this post, nominations will be for the January 2012 book of the month. Thanks!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Clovertechie

Post by Clovertechie »

I'm reading "The Help". If it's not been read by this group before, I'd like to nominate it. I'd be interested to hearing the reactions of others.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Mrs.T

Post by Mrs.T »

I nominate Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck for the January Book of the month.
Randgr51

Post by Randgr51 »

V is for Vengence......Sue Grafton never dissappoints!...and, no, as a matter of fact I do not spell real well!
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

This time i nominate a classic of russian literature:

Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls

The story follows the exploits of Chichikov, a gentleman of middling social class and position. Chichikov arrives in a small town and quickly tries to make a good name for himself by impressing the many petty officials of the town. Despite his limited funds, he spends extravagantly on the premise that a great show of wealth and power at the start will gain him the connections he needs to live easily in the future. He also hopes to befriend the town so that he can more easily carry out his bizarre and mysterious plan to acquire "dead souls."

The government would tax the landowners on a regular basis, with the assessment based on how many serfs (or "souls") the landowner had on their records at the time of the collection. These records were determined by census, but censuses in this period were infrequent, far more so than the tax collection, so landowners would often find themselves in the position of paying taxes on serfs that were no longer living, yet were registered on the census to them, thus they were paying on "dead souls."

A little description...
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I would like to nominate On The Road by Jack Kerouc.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Sorry, but I had to ignore V is for Vengence by Sue Grafton because the nominator does not meet the requirements explained in the OP. Also, I appreciate that we have a decent number of nominations this month, but in future I very much recommend keeping the nominations to newer books, i.e. book released in the last decade or two. Classics do great at poll time but usually do not lead to much active discussion the next month.

Anyway, I posted the topic to vote for the January book of the month.

Please continue to post nominations! Thank you!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Mrs.T

Post by Mrs.T »

For the February book of the month I nomimate Bossypants by Tina Fey. Seems as if we need a funny book of the month.

Return to “Book of the month”