Nominate Books for Book of the Month (see restrictions)

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Nominate Books for Book of the Month (see restrictions)

Post by Scott »

UPDATE July 7, 2015 ~ You can now nominate books to be book of the month using Bookshelves. To nominate a book, simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better. Click here to get more information and see the current nominations!

Please use this thread to nominate books to be book of the month. Please read the following restrictions.

To nominate a book, you must:
  • have a post count of at least 10
  • have been a member of the forums for at least 1 week
To be nominated, a book must:
  • be available in paperback or hardcover; i.e. no ebook only books.
  • be originally published within the last 15 years
  • have an Amazon sales rank better than 200,000
  • NOT be part of a series
  • NOT have been made into a movie
Nominations that do not follow these criteria will lead to a board warning being issued.

When making a nomination, please write the full title and include the author's name, preferably both in bold print. 1 nomination per person per month.

How it works

Assuming we have at least 3 new nominations on the 1st of any given month, those nominations will be put together into a month-long poll will begin to determine what will be the book of the month two months later. This means that when the poll ends, everyone will have about a month to get the book and read it before the discussions start the following month. So--for instance--on August 1st a poll will be started with the current nominations to vote on the October book of the month, which would give everyone the month of September as a buffer to get and read the book.

Please do not use this thread to discuss the books or otherwise chat. Please only use this thread to make nominations. It makes it hard for me to sort through conversation to find the nominations.
Last edited by Scott on 10 Jul 2015, 11:11, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: better emphasize restrictions, such as book not being part of a series or not being more than 10 years old
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Scott, we had a bot of an issue with this forum the past year or so. Basically the forum wasnt getting any interest for whatever reason and we set up a poll asking for ideas to increase traffic and i think that the criteria is too limited. How about both fiction and non-fiction as the category, and perhaps not a New York best seller? This may encourage more people to take part and maybe get more debate going in this area as the past year has been very quiet when it comes to Book of the Month.
You only live once.....so live!
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

StephenKingman, I have taken your advice and removed those limitations.

Nonetheless, I still encourage people to tend to nominate and vote for books that are more recent and are best sellers.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Pingugirl

Post by Pingugirl »

Was there a book selected for July? I'm new to all this you see!

If you're still looking for suggestions:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (if Classics would be considered?)

OR

The Diving Bell & The Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby (which I've just finished and think would make an interesting discussion topic).
guytwo

Post by guytwo »

For A nonfiction book of the month I'd like to nominate "JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters" By James W. Douglass

I recently finished the paperback and I believe it's a must read. Very interesting look at the Cold War era and of course the murder of JFK.
naragus

Post by naragus »

Tea Obreht is just 25 and already one of the most interesting american writers according to The New Yorker. Her debut novel "The Tiger´s Wife" is winning acclaims worldwide and has just won the Orange Prize for Fiction.

“[A] brilliant debut…[Téa] Obreht is an expert at depicting history through aftermath, people through the love they inspire, and place through the stories that endure; the reflected world she creates is both immediately recognizable and a legend in its own right. Obreht is talented far beyond her years, and her unsentimental faith in language, dream, and memory is a pleasure.” – Publishers Weekly, starred review
CuppaTea

Post by CuppaTea »

I have checked in here occasionally and even nominated a book or two but apparently the rules have changed requiring 25 posts under your belt to participate so I'll just Let the Great World Spin. :D
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Okay, I have taken the nominations up to here and created a thread to vote to decide the September 2011 book of the month. I also created a thread to discuss the August book of the month, Flowers for Algernon.

Please continue to use this thread to nominate books to be book of the month. As of the time of this post, nominations will be for the October 2011 book of the month.

Thanks! :D

Simworm
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: White Noise - Don DeLillo
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Simworm »

How about To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf?
"Oh, tis love that makes the world go round" - Lewis Carroll
Mrs.T
Favorite Author: William Blake
Favorite Book: The Kite Runner
Currently Reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
fav_author_id: 12304

Post by Mrs.T »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

CuppaTea wrote:.....so I'll just Let the Great World Spin.
"Let The Great World Spin" by Colum McCann.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
CuppaTea

Post by CuppaTea »

I’m Feeling Lucky, Confessions of Google Employee Number 59 by Douglas Edwards.

I would probably vote for Maud’s choice :) but this is on my to read (or listen to) list and would be just as happy with it.
Denysaputra

Post by Denysaputra »

Simworm wrote:How about To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf?
agree! :D
Meka

Post by Meka »

I nominate "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

"Fellowship Of The Ring" by J.R.R. Tolkein

Return to “Book of the month”