The House of the Dead ~ Entire Book

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
juanmacho33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by juanmacho33 »

I can't say that I enjoyed reading this book. It's not the sort of book that you enjoy. I can only say that I'm very glad that I read it. I found it to be both disturbing and compelling.
anshul1986

Post by anshul1986 »

hello g.............
anshul1986

Post by anshul1986 »

it is interesting
sally82

Post by sally82 »

It's a good book, I like it!
Arnold Grundel

Post by Arnold Grundel »

House of the Dead? I haven't read that one. I really don't like books like that though. It just sounds gory.
victory08

Post by victory08 »

FloorStore wrote:I love reading this book. very interesting.
I agree!!! I was listening this novel in mp3 even during the lectures (using micro earpiece ).
js_best4u

Post by js_best4u »

Hello every body
Gold words histery of world and hister greatman.
i check now its nice books and u try its.
i hope u well thist books reads.,

Thanks
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

I need recommendation of some better book for reading.
shenglu

Post by shenglu »

Siberian prison's "death house." This first-person narrative fiction dicusses in prison conditions, prisoners of a different personality, and how the existence of class differences, even in the confinement
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

People surmised that Dostoevsky had actually killed his own wife after this was published. In truth, he was sentenced to exile in Siberia for political sedition. At one time, he was responsible for operating a print press on behalf of a faction within the Petrashevskys, which, had it been discovered, would have meant a death sentence.
"House of the Dead" espouses Dostoevsky's primary psychological premise. Specifically, it claims that with a why you can justify any how. According to him, the worst punishment conceivable is not beating or jail time or any of those conventional avenues. Rather, it is pointless work. One must have a perceived notion of a grander purpose when it comes to one's labours, an ominous implication. It asserts that the human being can endure any succession of outrages, but must be allowed to assert a 'self.' This is why the prisoners depicted in the book are prone to spontaneous drinking bouts, destructive behaviours that are against the rules, etc. They know what is in their best interests, Dostoevsky would argue, but choose to act in contravention to those interests because doing so establishes self.
This is not a prison memoir in the sense that most people see it. It could just as easily be perceived as a social critique of the world. Many of its core ideas resonate a great deal with modern culture.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
mitchritz

Post by mitchritz »

nice story really interesting to read
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This is probably my favorite book by Dostoevsky. Someone once suggested that Dostoevsky was a humanitarian, and based on the subjects he chooses to write about, one tends to think that might be the case. I read this after having read Crime and Punishment, which deals with the idea of the "extraordinary man", which correlates to some ideas that Nietzsche had. Based on the short descriptions of the characters in this book, I couldn't help but think or wonder if that was what Dostoevsky was looking for - an extraordinary man.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Would anyone agree that Dostoevsky created these characters in some attempt to understand and control certain aspects of his own life?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

There is an unnamed character, a nobleman, who had been imprisoned for 10 years for murdering his own father who is described as having displayed "...a unique phenomenon; here there is some constitutional defect, some physical and moral abnormality which science has not yet been able to explain, not simply a question of crime." (37) However, ten years later he is found innocent of the crime and Dostoevsky writes, "...there is no need to add anymore, no need to expatiate on the tragic profundity of this case, on the young life ruined by such a dreadful accusation...We are of the opinion too, that if a case such as this is possible, this very possibility adds a new and glaring facet to the overall picture of the House of the Dead." (303)

Does Dostoevsky revealing this make the reader rethink any of their assumptions about convicts described thus far? Is this still an issue today?

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

What do you think of the character A--v who is referred to as a "moral Quasimodo" who "...had sold the lives of ten men in order to obtain the immediate satisfaction of his insatiable appetite for the coarsest and most depraved pleasures." (105) Yet, he never actually killed anyone. Does the idea that he never actually killed anyone make him morally better than he would be if he had also killed the victims?

Return to “Book of the month”