November Book of the Month

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Discuss Water for Elephants

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. Each book of the month get's it's own whole subforum in this forum. Click here to nominate books for book of the month.

Re: Discuss Water for Elephants

Post Number:#46  Postby Doyag » 21 Feb 2012, 02:54

I finally finished reading this book.
and wow! i did not expect to love it! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it.
I loved Jacob so much (and thank GOD was not ruined by Pattinson's image on my mind while reading). I didn't care much for Marlena or the love story but I was rooting for a happy ending for Jacob. he deserved it.
My favorite character was Walter and I was so sad for him to die in that horrible way. I was even sad for a moment there when we thought he lost Queenie, his dog.
Doyag

Favorite Author: Sidney Sheldon
Favorite Book: A Walk To Remember + Tell Me Your Dreams

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47  Postby heatherprzybyla » 01 Sep 2013, 17:46

I loved this book. I couldn't wait to get DD to sleep so that I could continue reading it. Can't lie though, I'm a sucker for happy endings.
heatherprzybyla

Post Number:#48  Postby hnardi8 » 17 Sep 2013, 18:35

I enjoyed this book, but I have to be honest -- I watched the movie first. So I went into it already liking it. It doesn't matter to me if the ending was realistic or not. I liked it.
hnardi8

Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#49  Postby [nette] » 09 Mar 2014, 16:24

Overall I really did enjoy the book Water for Elephants. I really did not have anything to complain about, although I do agree that the ending did seem a little unrealistic. Unfortunately my expectation was that Jacob was going to see the circus, go back to the nursing home, and then pass away in his sleep rather satisfied with his life.

For me, Walter and Camel were just supporting characters that really didn't have anything to do with Jacob. I understand that Camel was the one who took Jacob in, and Walter had accepted Jacob for who he was rather than the occupation he upheld, but since Sara didn't really revolve the book around Walter and Camel, like how she did with Marlena, August, and Rosie; I feel like she "got rid of" Walter and Camel in a very realistic fashion, since August and Uncle Al both wanted Jacob "red lighted" (it was an unjust way of getting rid of Walter and Camel, but I feel like that is what she had to do)

As far as everything else, I really do believe that Sara did a fantastic job with this book, and I would definitely recommend this book to other individuals.
[nette]

Post Number:#50  Postby randomcheerio » 09 May 2014, 13:23

I really enjoyed this book and its happy ending.
randomcheerio

Post Number:#51  Postby gls330 » 09 May 2014, 14:50

I did like this book, but I also felt that the author was trying too hard to be cutting edge and include all the major themes that the "popular" books have, like the love triangle. There were so many characters that I would have loved to learn more about, such as Walter. It was just too good to be true, in my opinion. I adored that she wrote the book from the circus life viewpoint, as it is something that I am not familiar with, so it was very interesting to learn more about that sort of lifestyle.
gls330

Post Number:#52  Postby tracy19 » 15 May 2014, 05:44

Really enjoyed the storyline.
tracy19

View Reviewer Page

Re:

Post Number:#53  Postby emilyxwebster1 » 17 May 2014, 17:51

princehole wrote:"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse."

I loved this quote. In fact, I loved the entire book. Apart from the fact that I now know everything there is about circuses, I found the book thrilling! I watched the film first, then realised it was a book. Of course, the book beat the film by a mile.
emilyxwebster1

Post Number:#54  Postby therhinofam » 21 Oct 2014, 15:48

This book was a surprising delight. I thought Sara Gruen did an impecable job bringing authenticity to the time period of the book. From the description of the setting to the language, I felt transported to the glitz and shadows of the depression era circus.
The development of Jacob as a person and man, was well done. My favorite character was Rosie, of course. Without speaking a single word, Sara Gruen crafted Rosie in such a way that you knew her personality and feelings, making it impossible to not fall in love with her.
This is a book that I ofter recommend to people who are fans of historical fiction or are looking for a happy ending. I would be interested in reading more from this author.
therhinofam

Previous