November Book of the Month

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. Each book of the month get's it's own whole subforum in this forum. Click here to nominate books for book of the month.

Heh I have read it on Kindle Reader - it's my first e-book

Post Number:#31  Postby Prometheus » 20 Nov 2010, 18:36

Well that was new experience. Do you guys think ebook readers will win over paper books?

e-bookstore.co/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/Stieg-Larsson/B0015DROBO/ebook

Great directory of ebooks.
Prometheus

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#32  Postby Mynxe L. Silles » 21 Nov 2010, 12:08

Hard to say, Prometheus. I think E-books are taking off. I hope for the environment's sake they do get more and more popular. But I have to admit, I do like to hold a copy of my favorite books in my hand, if you know what I mean. :)
Mynxe
Mynxe L. Silles

Post Number:#33  Postby Hutrakous » 30 Apr 2011, 15:16

Nice man!
Will try to read this book..
Thanks!
Hutrakous

Dragon Tat

Post Number:#34  Postby Evapohler » 04 May 2011, 12:51

Most of the members of my book club loved this thriller. I certainly couldn't put it down. But when I look back over the story, I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

I recommend the novel with some reservations.
Evapohler

Re: Dragon Tat

Post Number:#35  Postby Fran » 04 May 2011, 14:21

Evapohler wrote:Most of the members of my book club loved this thriller. I certainly couldn't put it down. But when I look back over the story, I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

Interesting point but I don't think the female characters were particularly interested in commitment either ... one was happily, if unconventionally, married if I remember right & Lisbeth certainly wasn't into the conventional 'happy ever after'.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." Buddha
Fran

Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#36  Postby Evapohler » 05 May 2011, 19:54

That's what I mean. Those women were created by a man. How convenient that few of them want commitment--the one who does pulls away before things get too sticky.
Evapohler

http://filesmy.com/2J58895

Post Number:#37  Postby Sprhnjatus » 07 May 2011, 15:10

national geographic online version of new book just for you for free!
Sprhnjatus

Public Library

Post Number:#38  Postby Maud Fitch » 07 May 2011, 20:46

Sprhnjatus wrote:national geographic online version of new book just for you for free!

Public libraries have books and eBooks for free, too.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Maud Fitch

Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair

Post Number:#39  Postby MaxDaniel » 14 Jul 2011, 00:24

Book is good. I like the concept. I think it is one of the best book of the writer.
MaxDaniel

Post Number:#40  Postby Pingugirl » 15 Jul 2011, 09:04

Loved this book. Only got round to reading this after I'd seen the film (which is not half bad either, if you watch the original, subtitled version i.e. not dubbed.....god, never dubbed!)

I agree with the general consensus: slow to start, redeems itself hugely when things take off. Salander rocks & the second one's even better!

Haven't got round to the third yet - it's on the long list of things to read! Looking forward to it though :)
Pingugirl

Re: Dragon Tat

Post Number:#41  Postby CuppaTea » 23 Jul 2011, 11:24

Evapohler wrote:... I find it reads too much like a male fantasy, kind of the opposite of romance fiction for women. We have a man who is able to attract a young and beautiful, albeit neurotic, woman whom no other man has successfully engaged. This same man solves an old family mystery that no one else can solve. He writes a story that immediately puts every other journalist to shame. And he is desired by all the women with whom he comes into contact, and these women do not expect commitment--they are merely grateful for the opportunity to share his bed. What a man you are, Mikael Blomkvist!

He is my favorite character. Has there ever been another man in literature to do so much cleaning and sweeping around the cabin? :wink: He was always the one to cook breakfast. All the way to the end of the trilogy, I wondered if a love interest would ever cook for him!
CuppaTea

Post Number:#42  Postby Adamsmith1979 » 26 Jul 2011, 11:04

the girl with the dragon tatoo is a great book.
Adamsmith1979

Loved it

Post Number:#43  Postby Davinci » 25 Aug 2011, 17:55

I hated the part where she gets implants... I love reading about Sweden and thriller. I`m glad she got away but would have loved a relationship beween Lisbet and Blomkvist. The world is violent, this book reflects it. Sweden too. Can`t wait to read the last one.
Davinci

Post Number:#44  Postby Timpane » 17 Sep 2011, 05:35

I discovered it a little tedious and yes, too numerous Vangers almost ruined the broth. However in the end it was worth it to me, and the doing well publications more than worth it.

-- Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:44 am --

I discovered it a little tedious and yes, too numerous Vangers almost ruined the broth. However in the end it was worth it to me, and the doing well publications more than worth it.
Timpane

Re: Discussion of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Post Number:#45  Postby slpeters2009 » 14 Dec 2011, 13:41

Difficult to follow at first; seemingly "technical" in the politics...I kept reading, became addicted---the trilogy was superb! Lisbeth was to me like Jason Bourne. I am eagerly await the movie release this 12/21/11. I believe the character choices to be ideal.
slpeters2009

Favorite Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Favorite Book: Garden Spells

PreviousNext