Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Discussion of The Lovey Bones

Post by Loveabull »

Reading this book as a parent with daughters :shock: But it is very well written, fascinating narrative once you get into it.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Georgia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia.html

Post by Georgia »

We read the opening to this book in school, which was a little awkward considering the nature of the opening chapter. I was completely drawn in, however, and finished the book at home. It really was a very thought provoking read. Very sad, too.
Shadowed_Gates
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Honest Illusions
Currently Reading: Moxie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowed-gates.html
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Shadowed_Gates »

When this book came out I remember Z100 in New York constantly talking about it and how amazing it was. I was about 17 at the time and decided to buy it and it took me 2 years to finish it. Not because it was bad, but because I would just burst into tears during it. It is just so emotionally charged and it broke my heart. Boxes of tissues and red eyes later, it is an amazing read.
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
heatherprzybyla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherprzybyla.html

Post by heatherprzybyla »

Every where I go I am always brought back to this book. Of course it is now September 1 and this was an August book. :)
tduhaime

Post by tduhaime »

I really enjoyed this book... at the time I thought it to be quite unique being told by the deceased main character.. Received this book as a X-mas gift along with her Memoirs book : Lucky (which i read immediately after ) something i rarely do... however in this was one of those exceptions. :D I read Lucky in one sitting. Highly recommended as well.
xcinderellie

Post by xcinderellie »

I care nothing for this book: I found it predictable and thought that although there was a main story-line and the fact that her sister grew up was quite nice, nothing happened that wasn't expected. The book was what I would describe as 'dull'. The writing style is very unique and I do think that is was a nice touch to have the book narrated from heaven, but it could have been done better in my opinion.
jellybean65

Post by jellybean65 »

I liked the book. In fact, I first borrowed it from the library, read it and now bought it so I can read it again. I thought the description of the crime would bother me more than it actually did. The hunt for the killer with the girl watching from above kept me on edge up until the end. The fact that he didn't get caught was not disappointing since a "happy ending" would not have suited the whole concept of the book. If you think about it, after a crime like this, there can't be a happy ending, can it. What I find fascinating is the idea of being able to watch life after your own death. Would that be a blessing or a curse?
pattilyn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pattilyn.html

Post by pattilyn »

I first read this book about 8 years ago. It stuck as unique as it was written from the perspective of the deceased, a teenaged murder victim. She watches her family's grief, her father's quest for justice, and the goings on of her murder. A beautiful written novel. Well worth reading.
winsuan

Post by winsuan »

Similar to many of the reader posts above, I also read this book several years ago. I felt that while the premise of the book was interesting, and had a few interesting twists, it was a bit slow-moving, and in the end I did not feel that it was really worth my time to read.
awhipple
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awhipple.html

Post by awhipple »

What I like about this book is that it can spark important discussions about death, dying, and the afterlife. It includes serious violence and its aftermath from the perspective of the victim. In today's world, the victim is often forgotten, sometimes even blamed. This book is an intriguing way to talk about the consequences of violence and teach about empathy.
lucyrebecca123

Post by lucyrebecca123 »

Really enjoyed this book :)
saraenglund

Post by saraenglund »

This book had parts that kept me interested but there were times were it went on and on and i got a little bored
JReader123

Post by JReader123 »

I read part of this book, but I had to stop. It was too sad.
Jsalgado97

Post by Jsalgado97 »

I haven't read this book, but I did see the movie..

I know, I know No Movies!

But, I plan to read it, and I plan to also love it :)
lilrickyandjrsmomma

Post by lilrickyandjrsmomma »

I thought this book was really good. I saw the movie WAY before I read the book and I thought the book was better out of the two. I would recommend this to everyone and anyone.

Return to “Book of the month”