Discussion of The Lovely Bones

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Snoots
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Snoots »

I thought this work could have been written by a teenager of Susie's age. Susie's omniscient power and heavenly viewpoint was tedious and simplistic. Sebold succeeded in drawing the parallel time paths of the monster Harvey with Susie's heavenly innocence which created suspense, but that suspense was lost in the author's inability to develop the characters beyond a patchwork of disconnected events. Though I read flashes of good writing, I thought Sebold suffered a form of writer's insecurity in failing to develop and resolve the story of her characters; with the exception of sister Lindsey, I thought all major characters were fated to join Susie in a nebulous writer's netherland.
Chillibin

Post by Chillibin »

I loved this book - I thought it was an original storyline which really got me thinking about death and the afterlife. I found parts frustrating though such as Mr Harvey not being caught, and the mother bugged me as well. I felt furious with her for leaving her children, but maybe that was the author's intention. Although the book was sad, and at times downright depressing, the overall theme was one of hope and I certainly feel better about kicking the bucket now :D
Esperanza1988

Post by Esperanza1988 »

Hi, there, you guys have read a lot of books. do you? I felt this book is lovely as its title
Anna james

Post by Anna james »

atrixa wrote:I really enjoyed this book, as Scott says, it's unique, but the ending upset me. She could have told everyone where her body was, but what does she do? Have sex with her teen crush...

The beginning where she describes her rape and murder really disturbed me and I found it hard to read.

I liked the message about death and loss that Sebold was putting across, though. I appreciated the way that she portrayed the family as imperfect and more realistic. The mother cannot take it and the sister hardens herself towards the subject.
Same here enjoyed reading the book a lot too.... Really well done in posting a review about the book.....
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

This is one is unique. I think this is the only book who is a first-person with an omniscient feature.

I like narrative. It was really personal. Although the ending where Sussy get to be laid is somehow disturbing. I guess she deserves it.
Mariatricia

Post by Mariatricia »

I read this two months ago and I liked it. My favorite character was Lindsey and that scene when Samuel visited Lindsey on Christmas Day was one of my favorites. The quote on top of my head is: "In violence, it is the getting away that you concentrate on." Susie got it so right when she said this.
Bookworm2011

Post by Bookworm2011 »

atrixa wrote:The beginning where she describes her rape and murder really disturbed me and I found it hard to read.
I loved this book so much that it is one that I recommend to anyone who asks me for a book idea. Many of the people I have recommended it to have had problems getting through the beginning and some have actually given up. I'm so disappointed by those people because I know once they get through the beginning it is such an amazing book. I go back and reread this book at least once a year because I just think it is such a unique way to tell a story and the book just always seems to call to me.
mokey

Post by mokey »

Having lost someone close in recent years left me at a place that I could identify with the family and their multi-layered response to the void. I listen to audio books while I work, and this book left me finding excuses to get in the car and drive.
Avid Reader

Post by Avid Reader »

This seemed to be a book of two parts to me, the first detailing her disappearance and secondly how her family came to terms with it. I very much enjoyed the 'supernatural' element of her experience and contribution but found it quite chilling in the way that all sorts of behaviour could be going on around us and us not know about it.

It was a great mix however and I would like to see more books use that format.

-- 30 Sep 2011, 15:45 --

[quote="Snoots"]I thought this work could have been written by a teenager of Susie's age. Susie's omniscient power and heavenly viewpoint was tedious and simplistic. Sebold succeeded in drawing the parallel time paths of the monster Harvey with Susie's heavenly innocence which created suspense, but that suspense was lost in the author's inability to develop the characters beyond a patchwork of disconnected events. Though I read flashes of good writing, I thought Sebold suffered a form of writer's insecurity in failing to develop and resolve the story of her characters; with the exception of sister Lindsey, I thought all major characters were fated to join Susie in a nebulous writer's netherland.[/quote]
Well said. I thought the opening was by far the strongest part of the book and possibly she failed to capitalise on initial early development. Her father frustrated me more in that he didn't seem persistent enough to pursue the matter of his daughters death as I feel I would.
Elizabeth1968

Post by Elizabeth1968 »

I saw the film, sad and deep... I would like to read the book. Thanks for your opinions!
robfarren

Post by robfarren »

I really enjoyed both the book and the film! Great all round.
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

The cause this apprehended my vigilance is that I learned there will be a video made from this publication and it would be very intriguing to glimpse the movie. I like to glimpse the video after I have read the publication, of course, the video is not ever a good evaluation to the publication as the publication is habitually much better.
Elizabeth1968

Post by Elizabeth1968 »

[quote="Timpane"]The cause this apprehended my vigilance is that I learned there will be a video made from this publication and it would be very intriguing to glimpse the movie. I like to glimpse the video after I have read the publication, of course, the video is not ever a good evaluation to the publication as the publication is habitually much better.[/quote]

As always unfortunately! Indeed I prefer to read before the books than movies!
adammarley

Post by adammarley »

The reason this caught my attention is that I heard there will be a movie made from this book and it would be very interesting to see the movie. I like to see the movie after I have read the book, of course, the movie is never a good comparison to the book as the book is always much better.
Elizabeth1968

Post by Elizabeth1968 »

[quote="adammarley"]The reason this caught my attention is that I heard there will be a movie made from this book and it would be very interesting to see the movie. I like to see the movie after I have read the book, of course, the movie is never a good comparison to the book as the book is always much better.[/quote]

But the film is already out!

Return to “Book of the month”