June - The Time Traveler's Wife

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Re: June - The Time Traveler's Wife

Post by Dando »

I’m glad to see that so many people enjoyed this book, I did to! However, I would not consider it to be one of my favorites or even something that I will likely reread.
I don’t read books like this often, but every once in a while I love to read a well written and captivating love story as sort of a guilty pleasure. In this category, The Time Traveler’s Wife is one of my favorites!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

KEW wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I read this book a while ago, and I found it very interesting yet weird at the same time, because of the fact that the wife (I've forgotten their names already) and the husband live their lives together but experience each other at different ages.

Also a bit weird that he goes visiting his future wife and hangs around with her while she is still a kid. What about her choice in the matter? What if she wanted a different life to the one fate had already planned? Did she have freedom of choice or was her future forced on her?
I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, I have to think on this in more depth. Unfortunately, it is now past midnight here, and you introduced a philosophical and ethical question for me to ponder. This will make for another sleepless night, no doubt. My first thought, though, is he isn't controlling these visits, or at least that is not how I remember it, but then again, it has been a couple of years since I read it.

Anyway, thanks for giving me another spin on this story that I loved. Maybe, I need to add it to my list of books to read again.
It's been a while since I read this book but you guys are right, it's is quite disturbing that he visited her as a kid but then again he couldn't control it. Thank you guys, I would dust off my copy and read it again :)
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
jkclay1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I read this a while back right after the movie came out and I defiantly think that the descriptions in the book are much better than the movie, as usual. The ending was heartbreaking... but also a nice closing to what seemed and still seems like a never ending circle of a story.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I agree. This was a really good book. One you just can't put down and when you finally do you can't stop thinking about it. Isn't it great to be completely captivated by a book. Why can't all novels be like this?
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I actually really didn't like this book when I read it about three years ago. It just really didn't interest me at all. I read it because my auntie said it was one of her favorite boost and when I finished it we watched the film. I didn't like that either..
So many books to read, so little time..
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my first true loves. It was thought provoking and it commanded such an emotional response from me. The ending left me a little bit dissatisfied, yet contented at the same time. The writer had a very unique writing style and a way words. The book is an art work to me.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I loved this book. I don't know why, really because it is not a genre that I typically like. I enjoyed it so much, in fact that I even went and saw the movie! I just felt like I could connect with the characters. Something about wanting something to be so exact but not being able to ever completely obtain it. This is one of my favorites for sure and definitely worth the read.
sorpurt
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorpurt.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Post by sorpurt »

This is truly one of the best love stories I have ever read. This book was full of emotion and left me wanting more. 4/4 stars.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
GandalfTheFey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GandalfTheFey »

UGH! This is one of my favorite books and I have read it a bunch of times. Love love loved it, and will love it again before the year is out ;)
misstbloo
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misstbloo.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by misstbloo »

This is one of the books that I was able to get lost in. I don't think I put it down until I finished reading the entire thing. One thing I dislike about "cookie cutter" books is the fact that I can usually guess the ending as soon as I've learned all the characters. This one was different and that's what excited me about it. I was kept guessing up through the last few chapters.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I really enjoyed the movie version of this book, so I’m really looking forward to reading the book, which I was not aware of because generally the book is even better than the movie, so I’ll defintiely have to add it to my bucket list!
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I loved the movie of this book, and I just obtained an audiobook copy of the book from the library. I'm really excited to read it and see how the two compare!
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I've just finished the book today! The book made me cry just as much as the movie did. I felt that the book was full of excess filler (such as the in-depth discussion of the moves in their pseudo-Monopoly game), and that the movie did a great job of pulling only the best and most essential plot points out of the book. Overall, I love the story line, but found the book to be much longer than necessary.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I have only seen the movie - and absolutely loved it! I didn't even know it was based on a book, but now having read this forum, I definitely need to find a copy and get reading.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by viviannganyi »

The love between Henry and Claire was so real and this is what I loved the most. This is such a nice book.

Return to “Book of the month”