Discussion of Moll Flanders

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Discussion of Moll Flanders

Post by Scott »

This is the thread to discuss the May book of the month, Moll Flanders. Do not read this thread until you have finished reading the book because this thread will contain spoilers.

What do you think of the book? What do you like about it? Is there anything you dislike about it? How would you rate it overall?
Last edited by Scott on 08 Nov 2008, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
blue_diamond21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blue_diamond21 »

I've been sooooooo excited for this thread! Moll is a very dirty little minx but I love her! :wink:

I really don't believe her repentance at the end, she enjoys re-telling her story too much to mean it. I love how she is such an interchangeable character with so many faces but it does make you wonder did we ever get to see the real Moll?

I did find it a bit of hard work in parts and I think it is one of those books that you appreciate the more you read it.

What did everyone think of the way Defoe wrote about her giving up so many of her children? I think he portrayed a female character well but I found this trait hard to believe after the 3rd time
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

She dropped kids left and right so often that I lost count. I figured such behavior was either common during that period or else the sacrifice that she was willing to make. She seemed to make the choice rather easily, but then she was overwhelmed with emotion when she saw her American son, which made me think that her callousness was just a defense mechanism.
blue_diamond21

Post by blue_diamond21 »

I think she used her children as mirrors for her feelings towards their fathers. She loved her brother/husband a lot hence the feelings towards her American son and the same with her other son who's father she was madly in love with - can't believe it but I forgot his name but he was the Lancashire husband that she was reunited with in jail!
Don't judge a book by it's cover - not always good advice
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hadn't thought of that. How sweet, yet how sick. The other kids have to suffer because the mother wasn't close with the fathers?
juanmacho33

Post by juanmacho33 »

I particularly loved this book. I thought it was very cleverly written. I was able to get into the character's life situations and I always wanted to see what would happen to the woman next.
plum

Post by plum »

I could not find this book on internet.

hi Scott Hughes
jackie8k

Post by jackie8k »

How sweet is that/.......
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

i agree with u....
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

is ok
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

i like it
daniels_co

Post by daniels_co »

blue_diamond21 wrote:I think she used her children as mirrors for her feelings towards their fathers. She loved her brother/husband a lot hence the feelings towards her American son and the same with her other son who's father she was madly in love with - can't believe it but I forgot his name but he was the Lancashire husband that she was reunited with in jail!
nice
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I read this book during my college days. Needless to say, Moll is not a model person. But I really love this book.

Among classics, this is one of the most happening novels. The author doesn't give readers a chance to get bored.

Return to “Book of the month”