Featured Review

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Discussion of 11.22.63

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. Each book of the month get's it's own whole subforum in this forum. Click here to nominate books for book of the month.

How do you rate 11.22.63 by Stephen King?

1 star - poor, recommend against read it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
25%
3 stars - good, recommend it
38%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
38%

Total votes : 8

Re: Discussion of 11.22.63

Post Number:#16  Postby Schmunzelmonster » 27 May 2012, 16:33

It took me awhile to digest this book. I started reading Kings books when I was 10 years old, which is way to young. Although I stopped reading King/Bachmann books a long time ago, they still creep me out. His writing is close to genius, but for me it's just to close to home. When I think about mankind and what we are able to do to ourselves, his books - at least to me - are always at the verge of possibility. Thats why I have been staying clear of his work. When this book was voted book of the month I was pretty sure, I'd just skip it. But then I knew it was on the Times list for best books of 2011 and I thought that - know that I am all grown up - I could handle him.

Well...I did enjoy his writing style immensely and the storyline intrigued me. But when I finished it, the whole thing seemed so pointless to me. The references to his former works were a nice touch, as I stopped reading his books 15 years ago, I don't know if I got all of them. I just got enough to have my Derry nightmares return :-(

So all in all this book reminded me of Kings craftsmenship and his insight into mankinds psychologie, but as long as he doesn't write childrensbooks, I will not read one more of his books. I am just not cut out for it :-)
Schmunzelmonster

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Previous