Featured Review

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Wicked ~ Part 1 - "Munchkinlanders"

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. Each book of the month get's it's own whole subforum in this forum. Click here to nominate books for book of the month.

Wicked ~ Part 1 - "Munchkinlanders"

Post Number:#1  Postby Scott » 09 Mar 2008, 22:44

This is the first discussion for Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Do not read this thread until you have read the first part of the book. (The first part is titled Munchkinlanders.) If you have already read past the first part, please participate in this thread but do not discuss anything past the first part so you do not spoil it for anyone else. I'll start the discussion thread for the whole book next Sunday.

What do you think of the book so far? I like it. I did not realize it was going to start so early in Witch's life. I'm very curious to see what happens. I expect there is going to be some plot twists to make the development more interesting since we all know how she ends up.

What parts did you like? It surprised me when Elphaba bit that lady's finger off. I thought it was some type of hyperbole at first. I also like that Elphaba's first word was "horrors."

Please post any comments you have about the first part of the book.

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by Scott on 15 Mar 2008, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Online Book Club ~ Tell your friends!

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#2  Postby sleepydumpling » 10 Mar 2008, 05:56

I've read the whole book, so I guess my perceptions are coloured (no pun intended) by the whole story.

I too loved Elphaba's first word. It was just so perfect for the little green girl with the vicious teeth.

What do you think the creature was that she was sitting under the pier with? Between it's paws? Do you think this was any indication of her future?

Like Melena and Frex, I too fell in love with Turtle Heart, the Quadling glassblower. There was something gentle and simple about him, that I found intensely comforting while I was reading about all of the other complex characters.

I have so much more to discuss, but I'll leave that for a future post.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

sleepydumpling

Post Number:#3  Postby Scott » 10 Mar 2008, 19:20

I like Turtle Heart too, but it's hard considering his and Melena's affair.

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Post Number:#4  Postby sleepydumpling » 11 Mar 2008, 06:09

What do you think his relationship with Frex was though?

sleepydumpling

Post Number:#5  Postby Scott » 11 Mar 2008, 22:29

sleepydumpling wrote:What do you think his relationship with Frex was though?

So far, it seems very friendly. He didn't have an affair with Frex too; did he?

Scott
Site Admin

Post Number:#6  Postby sleepydumpling » 12 Mar 2008, 06:01

Well what did you think of Frex flirting with him while they sat outside talking? Did you pick up on that?

sleepydumpling

Post Number:#7  Postby Scott » 12 Mar 2008, 19:15

sleepydumpling wrote:Well what did you think of Frex flirting with him while they sat outside talking? Did you pick up on that?

I didn't realize they were really flirting. I don't know what to think of that. I remember Nanny saying something about it, I think. I think she even called it flirting, but I had figured she was just joking.

Scott
Site Admin

Post Number:#8  Postby sleepydumpling » 13 Mar 2008, 05:24

I picked up on it, and at first I thought I was imagining it, but when I re-read that bit I was like... no... he is!

sleepydumpling

Post Number:#9  Postby blushingmilk » 15 Mar 2008, 07:35

sleepydumpling wrote:I picked up on it, and at first I thought I was imagining it, but when I re-read that bit I was like... no... he is!

I thought Turtle-Heart and Frex were getting it on...I assumed that Maguire was alluding to a type of 'Roman' philosophy where women, men, everyone loved love for what it was, and succumbed wherever necessary for the self, with whomever fulfilled that need - female or male or both or neither. I also think the 'subtlety' gave the impression of those clusters of sexual relationships existing in Oz as a type of underground thing - everyone knew it was happening but no one talked about it - they just did it. If you think about every character in the novel they have either a very firm grasp (almost Animalistic, you might say) on their sexual needs and habits or none at all.
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
*~ C. S. Lewis
blushingmilk

Post Number:#10  Postby sleepydumpling » 15 Mar 2008, 08:57

I agree A - it's like it was just a fact of life for some, and others just removed it from their lives.

sleepydumpling

Post Number:#11  Postby sjenkins » 22 Apr 2009, 09:38

I've seen the play and i LOVED it... I guess its time to break out the book.

Glad to hear its good.
sjenkins