Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Ruby's Choice" by by D.F. Jones

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Overall Opinion of Ruby's Choice

Discuss the November 2015 book of the month, Ruby's Choice by D.F. Jones

Re: Overall Opinion of Ruby's Choice

Post Number:#16 by bookowlie
» 20 Nov 2015, 00:46

I have mixed feelings about this book. I pretty much didn't like the entire first half. I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me. I thought the characters acted very young for their age regarding their love lives. It felt like a mismatch of a young adult book for 14-15 year olds, but with some sexy scenes that would not be appropriate for that age group. In the first half, Ruby's friends are not well developed and the plot just seemed to be an immature love triangle where Ruby had no regard for either boy's feelings. Brent really cared for her and she seemed to be missing a sensitiviy chip in how she treated him. It seemed like Brent's character was written in such a way that the reader would feel, by default, Reed was the obvious choice. I personally liked Brent and felt he was treated poorly by Ruby. OK, I know they are not real people. :)

Now let's cut to the second half which saved the book for me. Anna and Sandy get fleshed out more and the dash of supernatural elements is excellently woven through the storyline. I was impressed with this and I don't even usually care for that kind of stuff. The car accident and its aftermath was written well and I loved the epilogue where everything is revealed. I would have liked the book more if the early chapters and graphic scenes were toned down and there was more about Anna and Sandy's lives. Overall I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by gali
» 20 Nov 2015, 01:13

bookowlie wrote:I have mixed feelings about this book. I pretty much didn't like the entire first half. I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me. I thought the characters acted very young for their age regarding their love lives. It felt like a mismatch of a young adult book for 14-15 year olds, but with some sexy scenes that would not be appropriate for that age group. In the first half, Ruby's friends are not well developed and the plot just seemed to be an immature love triangle where Ruby had no regard for either boy's feelings. Brent really cared for her and she seemed to be missing a sensitiviy chip in how she treated him. It seemed like Brent's character was written in such a way that the reader would feel, by default, Reed was the obvious choice. I personally liked Brent and felt he was treated poorly by Ruby. OK, I know they are not real people. :)

Now let's cut to the second half which saved the book for me. Anna and Sandy get fleshed out more and the dash of supernatural elements is excellently woven through the storyline. I was impressed with this and I don't even usually care for that kind of stuff. The car accident and its aftermath was written well and I loved the epilogue where everything is revealed. I would have liked the book more if the early chapters and graphic scenes were toned down and there was more about Anna and Sandy's lives. Overall I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I agree the Tap It game was immature, but it was amusing to read how Ruby turned it around. I likes the two parts of the book, but agree that the second part was much more developed. I didn't like Brent at all due to his bouts of jealousy. Anyway, I am glad that you liked the book despite it all. :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: When Eight Bells Toll
Bookshelf Size: 1595 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 23%

Post Number:#18 by V_bansal2912
» 21 Nov 2015, 04:15

Wow..that is all I have...!! I dont really prefer romantic genre....but this was a good book...loved its characters...n actually looking forward for the next book...!!
V_bansal2912

Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 1%

Post Number:#19 by hsimone
» 05 Dec 2015, 12:21

bookowlie wrote:I have mixed feelings about this book. I pretty much didn't like the entire first half. I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me. I thought the characters acted very young for their age regarding their love lives. It felt like a mismatch of a young adult book for 14-15 year olds, but with some sexy scenes that would not be appropriate for that age group. In the first half, Ruby's friends are not well developed and the plot just seemed to be an immature love triangle where Ruby had no regard for either boy's feelings. Brent really cared for her and she seemed to be missing a sensitiviy chip in how she treated him. It seemed like Brent's character was written in such a way that the reader would feel, by default, Reed was the obvious choice. I personally liked Brent and felt he was treated poorly by Ruby. OK, I know they are not real people. :)

I just finished this book and find that I have very similar feelings as yours, bookowlie. I wasn't a fan of the first part because of the immaturity level. But, I did like the second part because of the character development and focusing on Ruby's friends and powers more.

Although...I will say that I was more happy towards the end to find out that it was a dream and none of that really happened to Ruby. It helped her make her decision to be with Reed easier, which I think is great! Overall, a 3 out of 4 for me.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Cancelled
Bookshelf Size: 362 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 31%

Post Number:#20 by Scott
» 05 Dec 2015, 20:14

Overall, I like the book. I read it in just two days, so that must say something.

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote: I thought the Tap It game was immature and the whole way Ruby got so close with both boys so quickly didn't feel real to me.

I agree the Tap It game was immature, but it was amusing to read how Ruby turned it around. I likes the two parts of the book, but agree that the second part was much more developed. I didn't like Brent at all due to his bouts of jealousy. Anyway, I am glad that you liked the book despite it all. :)

I agree the Tap It game was immature, but I didn't hold that against the story. College-age kids are immature. Also, the game was more at the beginning, so I thought it fit with the coming of age aspect of the story. With that said, at times I did have difficulty putting a finger on the maturity level and thus over personality of some of the characters, especially in the first half, so I think I understand bookowlie's sentiment.
Did you know ALynnPowers wrote books? I sure as naughty word didn't. Check it out!

"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 181 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#21 by CallMeMissEllis
» 12 Dec 2015, 14:16

Late to the party but really excited to read this, after reading everyone's feedback
CallMeMissEllis

Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#22 by literarycat
» 28 Dec 2015, 12:15

Momlovesbooks wrote:I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book at the beginning. I thought it would be a cave exploration/supernatural drama with young characters. I was hooked at the first and finished the book in a couple of days. It was entirely better than I expected. The characters were believable, with the brief supernatural elements woven throughout in a way that made sense. The ending threw me for a loop. I actually read the last chapter twice to make sure I understood what was happening! I can't wait to read the other books in this series. I rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

I completely agree I went into it not knowing how I would like it,and like everyone else I couldn't put it down. I want to read it again.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
literarycat's Latest Review: "RedDress Two Wives" by RA Winter
literarycat

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2315 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#23 by kio
» 17 Jan 2016, 22:05

Overall. I'd rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really like the story and got into some of the supernatural elements. I would've liked a few more of these elements. I got sick of all the sex/making out scenes, however. They didn't always add to the plot and felt, oftentimes, just thrown in there. I did, though, like how Ruby was tough stuff and didn't put up with a lot of crap from other people.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
kio
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Evermore
Currently Reading: Bone Gap
Bookshelf Size: 536 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition

Post Number:#24 by CatGitane
» 20 Jan 2016, 13:06

I love pretty much anything that has got to do with supernatural and I am guilty for loving love triangles, so this book appeals to me in a twisted way. However, it seems it's a romance novel as well and I don't sit well with romance... I'm thinking of maybe giving it a try due to the good reviews and rating this book has.
CatGitane's Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
CatGitane

Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books

Previous