Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Print Book Covers - Glossy vs. Matte

Post by Scott »

As explained in more depth in my ebook 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book, the most crucial part of marketing is product development.

One part of the publishing process is developing the cover for the print editions, i.e. traditional paperback editions or hardcover editions. One choice that comes up is choosing glossy versus matte finish for the cover.

Which do you generally prefer and why?

Those who publish many books will probably find that depending on the book and cover image a different finish can be preferred. What determines your choice on a per book basis?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I like matte. (This is probably TMI, but I have a mental glitch that causes me to pronounce it mattAY. Anyway.) However, if you get matte from Createspace, it is readily smudged by fingerprints. So you could say it's not quality matte. (The way I said that actually rhymed.) Glossy seems like a better option through CS. However, I still opt for matte.

I love books that are matte except for the focal image, which is glossy. Of course, that's not an option for the self-published among us.

As per deciding on a book-by-book basis, I get what you're asking, but for me it's matte all the way.

Another interesting point on this topic is how weird it is that you cannot tell on a product's page which type of cover finish the book has!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I like matte, with nothing glossy anywhere.

-- 06 Oct 2015, 19:47 --

It would probably help if I said why. I think matte covers look modern and antique at the same time. There is just something special about a matte cover.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I think it depends on the book. I agree that createspace makes smudgy matte covers, but if you can get a quality matte, I prefer that. It looks so sophisticated.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think I would prefer matte since the text is a bit easier to read on it and it has a nice aesthetic quality.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I just thought about something else regarding the finish. I prefer the way that glossy covers "feel" when I hold them. All smooth. I think the matte feels sticky. But I still think it looks nicer, as long as I don't leave sticky handprints on it.
Kesia Alexandra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kesia Alexandra »

I do like the look of matte covers and when I first made my book available I used matte. But I noticed that it started to get sticky, handprint-y and a little faded after a while. I think it made the book look cheaper than the materials used actual were, if that makes sense. So I switched to glossy.
ChantelSeabrook
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by ChantelSeabrook »

I agree, matte is much nicer than glossy.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I just stumbled across this thread, but i've been debating glossy vs. matte all week! I really prefer matte, but it's good to hear you guys say CS doesn't produce a quality matte finish, i'll keep that in mind. thx
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've never thought about this before! I just now pulled several books off of my shelf--some glossy, some matte--to help me answer this question. I think I prefer the matte covers, as the artwork looks more detailed, with richer colors. Plus, my glossy books look more worn out than the matte ones (and some of these matte books are older than the glossy books), so I'm wondering if the matte covers hold up better over time.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
VictoriaR
Currently Reading: Thrones, Dominations
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by VictoriaR »

I have always used glossy. There's a whole youtube video (actually, several) devoted to this subject. The consensus seems to be that glossy covers hold up slightly better over time. Also the color black seems darker on glossy covers. But there is something to be said for matte also, it looks a little more sophisticated.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Well, I never really thought about it much. I like it when both - glossy and matte surface - are combinedin one cover to create a special effect or a certain 3d effect. And I do think, like VictoriaR above mentioned, that the matte looks more sophisticated. However, this doesn't really matter to me and won't change my mind when I am buying a book. As long as the cover is well done and fitting the read, wether it is glossy ir matte is the least of my worries :D
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Matte covers seem to look a little more sophisticated, but I don't really pay much attention to whether it's matte or glossy. I'm looking at the title and whether the cover fits the type of book. The type of finish on the cover won't change my mind about buying it.
Olivia_Ritch
Currently Reading:

Post by Olivia_Ritch »

I definitely prefer matte. Glossy just bothers me for some reason. If I can see fingerprints it will drive my OCD up the wall. Matte keeps it contained.
BookAddiction

Post by BookAddiction »

Definitely glossy. Much prettier to look at it :D

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”