What makes you poetic?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Lkhoward
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lkhoward.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What makes you poetic?

Post by Lkhoward »

Sad to say some of my best poems were right after the death of a very close friend in high school
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

my poetry comes from my emotion at the moment it is written.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Tiff-thebookworm
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiff-thebookworm.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tiff-thebookworm »

The daily struggles make me poetic and heartbreak but LOVE is the strongest booster that I have used to create some awesome poems in my book.
Though I walk by day, I treasure my nights with you.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I don't write many poems but since it was you brought it up it occurred to me that the majority of poems I've written are about memories of the past taken either from real life or fictitious inventions.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

I think being a truly poetic person has to do with your soul, not anything materialistic. However, if I had to guess, pain and experience contribute to my most poetic moments.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I am not very poetic. I have never written poems for fun. I have put together a few as assignments in classes but have always found that writing prose is what I enjoy. I do, however, believe that a large and varied vocabulary and an ability to be descriptive is an important aspect of being poetic.
Peabodie1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peabodie1.html

Post by Peabodie1 »

Being poetic originates from the heart. It is filled with experiences, emotions and some of our deepest thoughts. Being poetic sometimes relieves the writer of negative energy and thoughts. Being poetic allows the writer to jot down on paper what they can't communicate to others. It provides the writer with an outlet which can be a form of therapy and healing of scars that prevent us from moving forward in life. It is also a means to share with other readers through words of harmony and fears and tears.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

High doses of painkillers...
blissfullifeproject
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blissfullifeproject.html

Post by blissfullifeproject »

As you said, strong feelings, in fact any kind of strong emotion
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

What makes me poetic is when I think of the past, present and circumstances of today. It just make you want to write from the heart.
eatpraywrite

Post by eatpraywrite »

Hearing others' poetry, for sure! Especially very 'poetic', descriptive songs. Powerful images, whether just described or actually witnessed by myself, help, as well.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

Listening to romantic music make me poetic.
J Conrad Guest

Post by J Conrad Guest »

Words make me poetic. Nothing gives me more pleasure than arranging words on a blank screen. To me how something is written is as important as what is written.

Sadly, today's writers are advised to "stay out of the text." Readers, I'm told, don't like it when the writer "butts into the story." I'm an anomaly: I read in part to connect with the author, to get inside their head. I love stylists like Raymond Chandler, and consider myself a stylist. I want to be recognized for my "voice." I love a perfectly crafted sentence, one that makes me go back to reread it, wish I'd written it. So what if it takes me momentarily out of the story? Commercials take me out of my favorite nighttime drama, but I don't enjoy the program any less, so why should I mind a writer's style taking me out of the story?
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Strong feelings, inspiration from the literature I read and music make me poetic. I love to play with words so I always write poetry in my thoughts.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Overwhelming emotion. I don't start writing poetry until I'm practically non-functional as a person.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Return to “Poetry & Music”