Best Melancholic Songs & Poems

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Best Melancholic Songs & Poems

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Fall is finally bringing in the northern chill, and the dawn of winter is approaching. It is hard to find times of the year so cold and fragile as these, where melancholic and sad days often mark our calendars through the dark months of the year. It is a time usually known for holiday cheer and festive gatherings, but the moments in between those can sometimes find a chillier tone. Many poets and musicians find an odd kind of comfort in the colder months of the year, where they are the strange flowers that bloom in winter under heavy cold. It is a time where these kind of poets and musicians thrive to create something beautiful from their melancholy.

Whether you know of any good songs or poems that fit the bill of cold melancholic days, or you have some of your own that are a perfect match, post them here. I would love to read/hear them as winter draws near.

Some of my favorite melancholic songs/poems are:

"Warm Winter" by Violet Cold - This song is instrumental and features a sort of neo-classical piano throughout the entire song, soloing in a couple of parts. As well, a steady drum beat lasts through most of the song, along with unique guitar sections. The guitars add a really cool white noise effect to the song, as they are speed picked, but not in a thrashy kind of way, more like an atmospheric noise void way. To tie it all together, it has ambient soundscapes throughout as well, creating a really calming journey that somehow works really well with the fast but harmonic guitars. This makes it easy to get lost into if you are in a melancholic head space, or just kind of dreamy in general.

"Medicine" by Daughter - I consider this song a true gem. If you are a person in deep need of healing, be it physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc., this is the song for you. Or, if you are simply in a slow quiet mood and the world seems to be moving in slow motion, you will find this song to beautifully match that moment. It has soothing but saddening lyrics, very focused on healing in one way or another, as the singer, sounding broken herself, struggles through the end of the song just to say the word "medicine".

"All I Want" by Kodaline - This is a pretty well known song. For those that you love (or once loved) who have since left you, this song is about the sadness that comes with the empty space where someone you loved once filled. It is an indie rock song, so sweet and innocent guitars move with the march of a passionate drum, all tied together with empty sounding vocals of a man hurt by his loved one who left him. Sometimes those melancholic days are because someone you love leaving, and this song is perfect for that.

"I Could Just Sink" by Bleeding Skies - Another instrumental, this song needs no lyrics to convey that sinking feeling so many people have felt before. Almost like you are descending to the bottom of the darkening ocean, but you are not drowning, just cold. It is a rather short song with the piano providing the main chords through the song with powerful and emotional ambient guitars and drums filling the empty voids left behind, so it could be put on replay and listened to over and over again for the same and best effect.

"Temporary Escape" by To The Wind - Be aware that compared to the other songs of this list, this song is quite a bit heavier. It is sung by a melodic hardcore punk band, but that in no way should discredit it's melancholic and emotionally driven musical effect. The vocals are aggressive and loud, but packed with sorrow and sadness, and sung in the ways that everybody feels like screaming at times in their lives. Everybody has had the urge to cope with sadness or anger by just screaming, and the lyrics of this song convey those exact feelings. The music is a lot less like the normal kind of music you would hear in hardcore punk (given, it has it's moments) with passionate riffs fueled by the same kind of tempered feelings the singer clearly has. If you are not a fan of more aggressive and heavier melancholic songs, this may not be for you, but I would give it a chance if you feel like it is something you may need.

"Water" by City of Dawn - This song is an ambient post-rock piece, and easily one of the most calmly still songs that is able to convey such massive doses of emotion while being quiet and still. Only ambient music plays, like the soul soaring through the astral realm, while the poem "Water" by a girl named Rena Sage (also narrated by her) can be heard through most of the songs length. The one-man-band City of Dawn made the music, and sampled Rena Sage's poem from her channel on Youtube to create this masterpiece of deeply rooted and transcendent melancholy. Be prepared for a real journey upon hearing this song.

"Nuvole bianche" by Ludovico Einaudi - Here is a purely piano based song that can carry the entire weight of sadness and melancholy to a beautiful place all on it's own. Honestly, there really isn't anything that cannot be made emotional from this song. There is a greater sense of hope instilled into this song, albeit behind notes of obvious hardships, but a light at the end of the tunnel nonetheless. I cannot say much else but this other than the fact that it is absolutely gorgeous, and a listen should be had even if you simply like the sound of the piano with passion.

"Saturn" by Sleeping At Last - The last song of this list, and one of my favorites. There really are not any songs by the one-man-band Sleeping At Last that do not have enough emotion to power a city. All of his songs convey true inner feelings, completely open and naked for everyone to experience. The meaning of the song is the kind that could be different to everyone who listens to it. For some, it could mean remembering the lasting effects that a loved one now gone has on your life. For others, it could mean an experience unlike any other that shaped a given moment in life, and changed everything forever. It must be heard to experience it's true nature. And while it may lean on the melancholic side, like all of these songs on this list, it does not make this song any less effective for everyone and anyone who simply has deep emotional output and input.

There are so many beautiful songs out there that may sound and be melancholic, but their meanings go so far beyond that, that it would be a shame for more people to not know about them. If you enjoyed these songs (and I hope people checked them out), then please post some songs that have similar effects on you. New music should always be made and shared. Alike, if there are any poems that you know of that are similar in texture, I would love to read them as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read and listen,

The Ellipsis Writer :tiphat:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Once Upon A Time (John Gary)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjXYOniTPI

The Moon's A Harsh Mistress (Glen Campbell)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocP89wkXeaQ

Se (Jacqueline Marie Evancho) .... Wait for it.
I Strongly advise seeing the movie. Best ending in cinematic history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo72U4hnZuQ
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
The Ellipsis Writer

DATo,

What a wonderful list of richly beautiful songs! Thank you very much for suggesting them, they were fantastic pieces. I especially enjoyed "Se" by Jacqueline Marie Evancho. That was a very moving piece.
DATo

Post by DATo »

The Ellipsis Writer wrote:DATo,

What a wonderful list of richly beautiful songs! Thank you very much for suggesting them, they were fantastic pieces. I especially enjoyed "Se" by Jacqueline Marie Sicilian. That was a very moving piece.
@The Ellipsis Writer ,

Once Upon A Time (John Gary)

My sister once attended a John Gary concert shortly after the death of his child. She said when he began to sing Danny Boy you could hear a pin drop in the enormous auditorium and handkerchiefs began to appear everywhere. Gary had one of the most beautiful tenor voices of all time and his renditions, such as the one I linked to above, evoke in any listener with a heart a strong emotional empathy.

The Moon's A Harsh Mistress (Glen Campbell)

I first heard this song long ago while in the midsts of a personal crisis. The song seemed to speak directly to the emotions I was feeling. The crisis resolved itself as most crisis do but I never forgot the song or the strong emotional effect it had upon me at the time. I was later to learn that this was Glen Campbell's favorite of all his recorded songs. (Did you happen to notice that the last two notes of Glen's voice in the song suggest a wolf howl in the night?)

Se (Jacqueline Marie Evancho)

To explain what you see in the movie clip:

Toto, the boy (who works part time as a movie projectionist in a small Sicilian village), tells Elena, a girl that he goes to school with and really doesn't know very well, that he is in love with her. He reprises a story once told to him by an old man involving a soldier and a princess. He tells Elena that he will wait for her under her window for 100 nights till the end of the year, and if she accepts his love she has only to come to the window and show herself. In the legend the soldier endures countless hardships but each night he returns to the window of the princess, but on the 99th night he takes his chair and leaves. I think this means that the soldier could not endure to find out that she had rejected him. Toto, on the other hand, remains faithful to his pledge and now experiences what he believes is the heartbreak that the soldier did not have to endure. But as you see in the clip, the faithfulness to his pledge is rewarded.

By the way, Se is Italian for If.
Last edited by DATo on 04 Dec 2016, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
The Ellipsis Writer

Incredible. Such powerful stories behind each song and artist. I really appreciate you sharing these. The tale of Toto and Elena is really beautiful, and the parallels between them and the soldier & princess is very lovely. The music behind it is perfect.
DATo

Post by DATo »

The Ellipsis Writer wrote:Incredible. Such powerful stories behind each song and artist. I really appreciate you sharing these. The tale of Toto and Elena is really beautiful, and the parallels between them and the soldier & princess is very lovely. The music behind it is perfect.
You really need to see the movie, but get the shorter version ... NOT THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. You will thank me later. It is one of the most beautiful movies you will ever see. Do not look up anything about it though, the ending has to be experienced within the context of the movie's story ... and I PROMISE that if you have any sense of sentimentality at all the ending will totally knock you out. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time.
― Steven Wright
The Ellipsis Writer

Will do :D Thanks for the recommendation!!

Return to “Poetry & Music”