Relationship between Poems and Songs

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
melindataylor67
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melindataylor67.html

Relationship between Poems and Songs

Post by melindataylor67 »

I feel that there is a relationship between poems and songs. They have their similarities and differences. I have written some poetry but have never written any songs. I have always wondered if writing one means that you can write the other or even tweak one to make it into the other. I have been told that it is possible but I have never tried it. Poetry is easy for me to write when I am inspired and have the time to do so and I love to sing and have gotten compliments on my voice. If I did write song lyrics I am not sure if I could write music to go with it and that would be much harder. It is something to consider and think about if nothing else.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

You know, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. When I look at just the lyrics of some of my favorite songs I am often startled to realize that even without music these lyrics could be justifiably appreciated as among the best poems I have ever read.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I feel that the rythm of words strung together can create beautiful poems and song lyrics. I think songs can take important elements from poetry and incorporate them to sound pleasing to the ear as well as being meaningful. I do think that poems are meant to be read out loud and songs are meant to be sang. Both have rythm but songs tend to have more liberties when it comes to stretching out a word, enunciation, and the speed at which the song and beat is played.
AtomLiK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atomlik.html

Post by AtomLiK »

I believe that these two things go absolutely together. There is an ancient greek saying that says "There is not music without poetry, nor poetry without music" and I agree with it. But if you find it difficult to combine them, a composer might help you.

Return to “Poetry & Music”