Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
MFinesse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by MFinesse »

I have never tried writing with music but maybe if I did I'd choose jazz music. All instruments. A song in the background , my focus would be on the lyrics.

As an artist also i like to stay away from other artist lyrics when I am writing to create a new song.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Nope! I find all distractions to be quite detrimental to my ability to concentrate when I write.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I think it depends on what I'm writing. In some cases, I use music as a sort of white noise to help me focus, while in others I'm directly inspired by the music I'm listening to. However, I think I probably write the most when I'm not listening to music. All I know for sure is that I can never (ever) edit and listen to music at the same time. It becomes a complete nightmare.
Fnstarnes5547
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fnstarnes5547.html

Post by Fnstarnes5547 »

Absolutely! Music helps me focus on what I'm trying to write or anything I'm doing really. The type of music I'm listening usually depends in what I'm doing or what I'm trying to write about because it inspires me.
traudilynn79
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traudilynn79.html

Post by traudilynn79 »

Yes, music helps me write. Actually, "Bloodbuzz" by The National inspired my recent haiku.

-- 31 Jan 2016, 21:21 --

I write haikus in my dairy as a stress reliever.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

As long as it is classical music or other instrumentals, then they do indeed help me to write at times. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

For me music is just distracting and I tend to wander off and daydream while I'm listening to music even if it's lyric-less music or it's classical music.
traudilynn79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traudilynn79.html

Post by traudilynn79 »

Some songs distract me. I try to avoid certain music when I'm trying to relax and write.
Tsveti-Slava Asenova
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsveti-slava-asenova.html

Post by Tsveti-Slava Asenova »

I adore listening to music while working and I prefer lyricsless pieces to help me concentrate. My favourites are Mozart and Brahms and other pieces that are on youtube.
CoachBsABookReviewer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coachbsabookreviewer.html

Post by CoachBsABookReviewer »

I have to say that classical music is my go to when I really need to focus. Silence is not golden when I am trying to write or study.
DATo

Post by DATo »

DATo wrote:Nope! I find all distractions to be quite detrimental to my ability to concentrate when I write.

I have just discovered something that I have decided to try the next time I embark upon a writing escapade. I have found on You Tube various "white noise" recordings which I think may work for me. Music, as stated above is more of a distraction, but I find the sounds of rain and storms oddly soothing. I think these were recorded for insomniacs but they actually might prove useful for writers as well.

Here is an example (to be played at lower to medium volume) ...

'Rain' 2 Hours of Heavy Rainfall and Thunder Sounds | High Quality Sleeping Sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFqlfoHw_4
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

DATo wrote:
DATo wrote:Nope! I find all distractions to be quite detrimental to my ability to concentrate when I write.

I have just discovered something that I have decided to try the next time I embark upon a writing escapade. I have found on You Tube various "white noise" recordings which I think may work for me. Music, as stated above is more of a distraction, but I find the sounds of rain and storms oddly soothing. I think these were recorded for insomniacs but they actually might prove useful for writers as well.

Here is an example (to be played at lower to medium volume) ...

'Rain' 2 Hours of Heavy Rainfall and Thunder Sounds | High Quality Sleeping Sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFqlfoHw_4
Never even realised such videos were uploaded there, but thanks for sharing. Maybe this is just the thing to cure my on-off writers' block!
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Kpfly117

Post by Kpfly117 »

I would say for me it depends on the mood I'm in. If I already have an idea, then I can just write it out with or without music. If I'm sitting trying to write something then sometimes the music can be a good way to clear my head/get me out of my head and just focus on how I feel to write. After a while of writing, I won't even notice the music any more though.
Matti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matti.html
Latest Review: "Wonders That We See: A Poetry Collection" by Crystal Harrell

Post by Matti »

I think if I've already got the framework or idea conceptualized I can usually listen to music at the same time, but if I'm in the more basic process or dry-writing I'm nowhere near capable of producing anything if I've got music going.
Latest Review: "Wonders That We See: A Poetry Collection" by Crystal Harrell

Return to “Poetry & Music”