Does music help you write?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
trin_
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trin.html

Re: Does music help you write?

Post by trin_ »

Definitely
Chasity23
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chasity23.html

Post by Chasity23 »

Music does help me write. It kind of sends me in a trance and sends me to a different world.

-- 07 Mar 2016, 08:55 --

For instance, New Age music makes me feel like I'm transported in the past.

-- 07 Mar 2016, 08:57 --

Rock and ambient music makes me feel edgy and puts me in the mood for horror stories. As I read these stories it gives me ideas to write one of my own.

-- 07 Mar 2016, 08:59 --

Music can send an individual into various moods. You can feel happy,angry, sad or lost. All if this gives great ideas and inspiration to unleash whats really going on inside.

-- 07 Mar 2016, 09:02 --

Some music can even be slighty erotic which makes me write something sensual yet malevolent. Music is a definate booster for inspiration.
BookWorm_4life
Currently Reading: Sugar Baby
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-4life.html

Post by BookWorm_4life »

Listening to music opens my heart and allows me to feel vulnerable while writing which makes for very honest heart felt materiel.
jenniferfranz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenniferfranz »

I HAVE to have music to write. I have a playlist of music that is my "go-to" when writing and the playlist depends on what I am writing.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I can't concentrate whenever I listen to songs that have lyrics in them. I end up getting really distracted. However, there are certain types of music that really help me focus on writing. Usually wordless electronic and glitch music really motivates me to study while listening to it but when it comes to writing I like listening to calm, chill mix.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Carrie1861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrie1861.html

Post by Carrie1861 »

Yes, only if there are no lyrics. If there are lyrics, I end up not being able to concentrate :)
sonipat

Post by sonipat »

Music never help me or others to think and write. Music only can able to man for cheating to some words or line.
MaroBenipayo

Post by MaroBenipayo »

Yes, it always does! Also when I read ☺
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Sometimes
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lycaonia

Post by Lycaonia »

Music usually distracts me from writing, but I will use it during my brainstorm phase. Music encourages me to come up with little imaginary worlds, and scenarios, that are fun to explore.
Metka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 80">Mutant Message Down Under</a>
Currently Reading: Forever in your Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metka.html

Post by Metka »

Rarely, but it does. I think that some pieces of my work are combined with that,...maybe they show up just as a word or a sentence - that might have been used in a certain song...

I have to be honest that music is not the turning key for my writing, because I create lyrics and the nature in all is still my best subject when it comes to finding new ideas and making them come alive.

So many things can guide us on the way to express ourselves...People, environment, trees,... You name it:). :D
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Music can certainly help me figure out the mood that I want to write. that's why the movie soundtrack is so important to a film.
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

Definitely. But it does depend on my mood or what I'm doing. Classical music can help me concentrate, but honestly I can use almost any music as inspiration. Lyrics really help.
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

If I am doing work then I want to listen to music, it helps me decompress. I haven't ever really tried to listen to music when I was writing, I bet the lyrics would be distracting. I have a Skyrim playlist with other slower songs that I will listen to occasionally if I am working hard.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
jennaveves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennaveves.html

Post by jennaveves »

Very much so. Music can take you to another place in your life, and stir emotions you might have forgotten about. When that happens I find it very easy to write, especially on the topic of relationships, and growing up.

Return to “Poetry & Music”