My feelings

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
hhriver
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhriver.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

My feelings

Post by hhriver »

Poetry is fantastic and makes it easy to say things that help others. It can be romantic, loving, and speak of love. Or it can speak of war and death. Its covers all areas of the human heart and the world too.

Music like poetry can make you feel the emotions of the human heart and can effect the people who hear it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

hhriver wrote:Poetry is fantastic and makes it easy to say things that help others. It can be romantic, loving, and speak of love. Or it can speak of war and death. Its covers all areas of the human heart and the world too.

Music like poetry can make you feel the emotions of the human heart and can effect the people who hear it.
Very true! A simple idea in the hands of a gifted poet can be expressed in a manner which evokes profound levity, grief, fervor or joy. Words can be powerful emotional stimulators for both good and evil. Hitler was not a particularly intelligent man, but his words and how he expressed them moved an entire nation down a path which led to the greatest misery in the history of mankind; conversely, the impassioned words of John Adams moved a small group of colonists to form the most successful nation on earth. Neither of these men wrote poetry, but words, and simply the manner in which they are arranged such as we find in poetry can arouse profound emotional effect.

With regard to music: In my lifetime I have heard pieces of music which I had never heard before which moved me greatly. I have often been curious as to what psychological trigger causes such emotional effects. A symphony piece or concerto has no words which one can associate with ideas and yet just the sound of the music itself can cause an enormous emotional effect. A case in point was the first time I heard Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings. I was mesmerized by it and for no reason I could put a name to and much to my surprise I found tears rolling down my cheeks when it was over. The first time I heard Bach's Toccata and Fugue I just sat there with my mouth hanging open when it was over. I felt that I had heard the very concept of the term "genius" presented in audio form.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Words are one of the most important and amazing tools that anyone can use!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
5ngela
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5ngela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by 5ngela »

Yes, I also like to make poem to convey my feeling.
jstaymate
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstaymate.html

Post by jstaymate »

Poetry and music most definitely portray feelings and emotion. In everything we do and everything we are it's all around us at all times. a sad song can trigger memories or display how we currently feel just as a glimpse of love can lead us to write some of the most beautiful poetry.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree. Poetry can express so much in such a few words. The same goes with music. I love them both.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Akeem

Post by Akeem »

Poetry is a reaction to the true picture of your imagination.U tend to outer project and say things as they should or ought to be.
Music is a simple expression of your feeling at a particular point in time
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I get annoyed with myself that poetry in general barely affects me. I have friends who write it and say they are a hundred different hidden meanings and morals and I struggle to see beyond the actual words. I would love to love poetry.

Having said that I really like some of the war poetry from WW1 and 2. Siegfried Sassoon and Alfred Lord Tennyson's Charge of the Lightbrigade. That terrible war imagery is something I can actually connect with most of the time. It is almost haunting. But anything else? any other topic? I don't seem to understand.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Masinde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

True.Like poetry.Reason:such is poetry in literary for,but if we drop the limitation to verbal expression and think of poetry as that subtle fire and inward light which seems at times to shine through the world and touch the images in our mind with ineffable beauty,then poetry is a momentary harmony in the soul amid stagnation or conflict-a glimpse of the divine and an incitation to a religious life.
Marga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marga.html

Post by Marga »

In this world true meaning of life is in the poetry and music. Where we all live by everyday.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

hhriver wrote:Poetry is fantastic and makes it easy to say things that help others. It can be romantic, loving, and speak of love. Or it can speak of war and death. Its covers all areas of the human heart and the world too.

Good poetry is certainly full of emotion and powerful ideas.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've read poetry that has had a profound effect on me and I have written poetry that has had a profound effect on me. Poetry is definitely a form of art that can make you feel like there is something wrong with you because it constantly changes your mood.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I often think of poetry and music as forms of my own therapy.
Music can help to change my mood or just match my mood and I can listen to it and just be.
Writing poetry helps me to work through my emotions and make something pretty at the same time.
Afolabi JaySmile
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Afolabi JaySmile »

DATo wrote:

Very true! A simple idea in the hands of a gifted poet can be expressed in a manner which evokes profound levity, grief, fervor or joy. Words can be powerful emotional stimulators for both good and evil. Hitler was not a particularly intelligent man, but his words and how he expressed them moved an entire nation down a path which led to the greatest misery in the history of mankind; conversely, the impassioned words of John Adams moved a small group of colonists to form the most successful nation on earth. Neither of these men wrote poetry, but words, and simply the manner in which they are arranged such as we find in poetry can arouse profound emotional effect.

With regard to music: In my lifetime I have heard pieces of music which I had never heard before which moved me greatly. I have often been curious as to what psychological trigger causes such emotional effects. A symphony piece or concerto has no words which one can associate with ideas and yet just the sound of the music itself can cause an enormous emotional effect. A case in point was the first time I heard Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings. I was mesmerized by it and for no reason I could put a name to and much to my surprise I found tears rolling down my cheeks when it was over. The first time I heard Bach's Toccata and Fugue I just sat there with my mouth hanging open when it was over. I felt that I had heard the very concept of the term "genius" presented in audio form.
Sir DaTo,
I am just always moved by your write-ups, you are someone of high degree of intelligent. Your choice of words is just so simply even for a layman to comprehend. I look forward to reading one of your book someday sir!.

Am just so happy am on this platform of prolific genius .
Kudos Sir.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Poetry is an avenue to sympathize with the writer or with another reader of the same emotion at the moment of reading. Poetry may make two readers from the opposite sides of the world cry, lough, or smile.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Poetry & Music”