The Music Thread

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: The Music Thread

Post by Bighuey »

Ive been listening to recordings of a 15 minute daily radio program from Nashville in 1950 called Mothers Best Flour and Hog Feed Show with Hank Williams. Great program, its all done live and Hank was at his best. It was considered some of his best work. He had a great sense of humor, between songs he would joke back and forth with the band and so on. Audrey did some of the songs, but she was terrible, not a singer for sure. Altho one song she did was pretty good, a novelty called My Long Tall Tightwad Daddy. A definite listen for Williams fans. Great stuff.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
musiclover182013
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Bone Season
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musiclover182013.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by musiclover182013 »

Music is my passion and this thread seems like a great place for me to be! I have several different genres, so I am going to post just a few of my favorites from different genres. I hope you enjoy!
Unfortunately I can not post URL's since I am a "new user," but I have indicated which video to choose if you type in the same words I have given you on YouTube.

Matisyahu Shine on You: (second result on YouTube)
A Day to Remember This is the House That Doubt Built: (third result on YouTube)

Blackhawk Stepping Stones (first result on YouTube)

As you can see from these three songs alone, I have a very eclectic music taste. I love these and many more, so if you like these let me know and I can supply more!
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I have so many favourite songs that I made a playlist of them on YouTube. My latest is Louder by Lea Michele.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
CHoep
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choep.html

Post by CHoep »

Give Boyce Avenue a listen/
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

So, musiclover182013... What else you got? :D I really like Aqualung and Lucy Schwartz's "Cold." Heard it? I have eclectic tastes, myself. Soundtracks, R&B, classical, oldies, pop, rock, New Age, Celtic, and opera, opera, OPERA! Yup, there's something to love in each genre. I'd love to see as many suggestions as you can give. :wink:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
hm0060
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hm0060.html

Post by hm0060 »

Has anyone listened to "All of Me" by John Legend WITH Lindsay Stirling in it? I think you can only find it on YouTube so far from what I've seen. Man it's an amazing version! :)
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

19letizia95 wrote:Ed Sheeran- Wake me up

It's a must. You gotta listen it :D

It is a good song, like the melody and the lyrics are cute too. I See Fire sounds brilliant to me, I've listened to it so many times
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Kellie123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellie123.html

Post by Kellie123 »

Lately I've been obsessed with the Pandora app! I've been really into Indie pop/dance music for the past couple months. The Neighbourhood, The Temper Trap, Frou Frou, Telepopmusic and Passion Pit are some awesome groups!
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I love Sting and the Police's "I Burn For You." It is a love song, but not goopy or explicit or any of the other negative words you'd use to describe a love song. It sounds real, earnest, honest, and frank, as cheesy as that sounds. The words sound more like poetry than almost any other lyrics I've heard, and the music will get stuck in your head for days. If you listen to it, you'll know which part I'm talking about, it's the "whoa-oh" part.

Also, any Queen is fantastic, and worth listening closely to. Freddie Mercury's vocals are virtually unmatched for quality, power, and range.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive been listening to The Million Dollar Quartet today. Its a studio jam session at Sun records in the mid-50's with Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. Its kind of disjointed, mostly in bits and pieces as most jam sessions are and most of the vocals were done by Elvis. From what Ive heard about those Sun sessions, they probably had a little help from Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Its an interesting thing to listen to, rock and roll in the beginning.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I Never tire of Enya.............Orinoco flow, etc...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Enya is awesome, Suzy! One of my favorites of hers is "The Memory of Trees." Haunting. She's pretty darn great, I think. I have all of her greatest hits and most of her albums... I don't know what it is about her music... I can listen to it for hours.

-- 19 Jul 2014, 22:44 --

"Summer. When the day is over

There's a heart a little colder.

Someone said goodbye,

But you don't know why.

Somewhere there is someone keeping

All the tears they have been weeping.

Someone said goodbye,

But you don't know why."

I like that one a lot, too. She has a decent lyricist working for her... What's her name? Roma Ryan? I like the fact that she writes many of Enya's songs in Tolkien's tongues. :wink:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive heard some of Enya's music, she is great. Ive been listening to Earl Bostic, the tenor sax player who made some popular R+B recordings in the 50's. He did a lot of R+B renditions of the old standards like Laura, Lover Come Back, Back Home In Indiana, Tangerine and stuff like that. One of his best was Honky Tonk or, as we used to call it in school, The Dirty Bop, that he did with Bill Doggett. Great stuff.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

got hooked on Etta James this week..................At Last..............

-- 20 Jul 2014, 12:20 --

]got hooked on Etta James this week..................At Last..............[/quote]

Nathrad I agree............Enya is in a class by herself...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
aca

Post by aca »

Waltz for Debby - always calms me if I'm stressed :)

Return to “Poetry & Music”