Could Anyone Recommend Some Classical Music?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
AutumnPhillips
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2793

Could Anyone Recommend Some Classical Music?

Post by AutumnPhillips »

Hi everyone! :D This is the first topic I've ever tried to post, so please forgive me if things are a bit out of order. I'm 16 years old and would really like to cultivate some knowledge of classical music while I still have the time for research :) I tend to like somewhat dark, emotional music... Any and all recommendations are very, very appreciated!! Thank you :)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Mozart and Vivaldi are definitely two great ones to begin with. As for specific pieces from each, I would begin with Mozart's Requiem and Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

A few others to try would be Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, the piano concertos by Rachmaninov, and really pretty much anything by Tchaikovsky. I hope these help you out and you end up liking them! If you need any more added to this, just let me know and I will do my best to point you in the right direction. Enjoy!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Harpymichele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harpymichele »

As a harpist, I run across some excellent classical music which is also a bit dark. Try "Symphony No. 8 in B Minor" by Franz Schubert. You might also like "Queen of the Night Aria" by Mozart. That particular song is from The Magic Flute. Lastly, try listening to Edvard Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I find it is wildly popular with students of mine who are just becoming familiar with classical music.

If you enjoy movies, listening to the sound tracks is also an enjoyable way to step into classical music. Often times, the soundtracks are really inspiring and allow you to visualize your favorite movie in your head. There are some great modern classical composers out there just waiting to be discovered.
AutumnPhillips

Post by AutumnPhillips »

Thank you both, so much! :) I have listened to the Four Seasons, and Barber's Adagio for Strings almost brought me to tears (which is a good thing, I promise! lol). I had been meaning to listen to Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 for a while now, ever since I heard some music by Tchaikovsky, funnily enough, in a movie soundtrack!! I do love the idea of soundtracks and have just started to look for some at the library :) What you said about soundtracks is exactly the same opinion I have of them! :D Thank you, thank you, thank you again :)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! It is a privilege to be able to give such advice. Sharing the love of music is a very easy thing for me to do and I feel quite blessed to do so as well! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
qsbookrec
Currently Reading: The Third Target
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by qsbookrec »

Hi
I enjoy Bach. Studies indicate that his music is mentally stimulating.
Harpymichele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harpymichele »

Harpymichele wrote:As a harpist, I run across some excellent classical music which is also a bit dark. Try "Symphony No. 8 in B Minor" by Franz Schubert. You might also like "Queen of the Night Aria" by Mozart. That particular song is from The Magic Flute. Lastly, try listening to Edvard Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I find it is wildly popular with students of mine who are just becoming familiar with classical music.

If you enjoy movies, listening to the sound tracks is also an enjoyable way to step into classical music. Often times, the soundtracks are really inspiring and allow you to visualize your favorite movie in your head. There are some great modern classical composers out there just waiting to be discovered.
Stefanus Kristian
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanus-kristian.html

Post by Stefanus Kristian »

Please check this out too:
Ride of the Valkyrie, Richard Wagner
Toccata And Fugue, Johann Sebastian Bach
This few was popular at it's times, e.g. for horror and action movies.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

You can use a site like Pandora and just create a classical music channel. That'll give you a lot of exposure to a variety of pieces.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Beethoven has some really great ones.
AutumnPhillips

Post by AutumnPhillips »

braver wrote:You can use a site like Pandora and just create a classical music channel. That'll give you a lot of exposure to a variety of pieces.
I do have several classical music channels set up on Pandora, actually :) It really has turned out to be a great way to find new instrumental music! The only problem is, I seem to have trouble remembering the pieces that I've only heard once or twice... Would you happen to have any tips for remembering instrumentals? It's difficult when there aren't any lyrics to Google when you forget the name of a piece lol
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

AutumnPhillips wrote:
braver wrote:You can use a site like Pandora and just create a classical music channel. That'll give you a lot of exposure to a variety of pieces.
I do have several classical music channels set up on Pandora, actually :) It really has turned out to be a great way to find new instrumental music! The only problem is, I seem to have trouble remembering the pieces that I've only heard once or twice... Would you happen to have any tips for remembering instrumentals? It's difficult when there aren't any lyrics to Google when you forget the name of a piece lol
Hah, true, that is difficult! I can't say that I'm any good at it either, but if you go under station details on your Pandora channel, you can see a list of anything that you've given a thumbs up or down. Hopefully that helps!

Return to “Poetry & Music”