Poet's

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
FreebieAddict15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Poet's

Post by FreebieAddict15 »

Who is everyone's favorite poet?
What is your favorite poem by said poet?
owensbook
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of What Matters Most: Family, Friends, and Foes

Post by owensbook »

Don't really have a favorite poet or poem but do enjoy very much creating my own and reading others at random.
Betty Adams
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Betty Adams »

For a "favorite" poet I would have to say Robert Service. Any poet who can make your blood run cold with the first line and have you roaring with laughter by the last is worth reading. I also liked the gritty real feeling to his work. It wasn't as if he reveled in the darkness, but that he was aware that the darkness was there and was aware of the need for the light.

"There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun.
By the me who moil for gold.
The Arctic trails have their secret tales,
That'd make your blood run cold."
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Betty Adams wrote:For a "favorite" poet I would have to say Robert Service. Any poet who can make your blood run cold with the first line and have you roaring with laughter by the last is worth reading. I also liked the gritty real feeling to his work. It wasn't as if he reveled in the darkness, but that he was aware that the darkness was there and was aware of the need for the light.

"There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun.
By the me who moil for gold.
The Arctic trails have their secret tales,
That'd make your blood run cold."
@Betty Adams
The Cremation of Sam McGee was the party piece of an old work colleague of mine & he really gave it gusto - he would stand up in the middle of the pub and it would be like a stage performance - actions, expressions, voices the lot! :lol:
A few years ago I happend upon a little book of Robert Service poems in a second hand shop and it is on my shelf as I type.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

@Fran

Unless you have lived in America you probably do not know the idealized and storied manner with which we view Ireland. The incident you tell of your work colleague standing in the pub reciting The Cremation of Sam McGee fits perfectly with that romanticized vision. I could just see him performing it, and I swear I could dance to the beautiful and lyrical dialect of your countrymen.

*BTW* I love that poem!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:@Fran

Unless you have lived in America you probably do not know the idealized and storied manner with which we view Ireland. The incident you tell of your work colleague standing in the pub reciting The Cremation of Sam McGee fits perfectly with that romanticized vision. I could just see him performing it, and I swear I could dance to the beautiful and lyrical dialect of your countrymen.

*BTW* I love that poem!
@DATo
He also does a mighty job of The Green Eye of the Little Yellow God
We would be delighted to have you dance here anytime :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Poetry & Music”