The Tyger - William Blake

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

The Tyger - William Blake

Post by VanessaB16 »

And what shoulder, & what art, could twist the sinews of thy heart? <3
The Tyger, a poem by William Blake written in the late 1700, is a beautiful piece of literature that contemplates the presence of evil. Throughout the poem, the narrator asks "what immortal hand or eye/ could frame thy fearful symmetry." The narrator is questioning the presence of the tiger opposed to the lamb. The narrator cannot seem to understand how a powerful being such as the creator could form such peace yet also form such evil. Each subsequent stanza continues to ask further questions all relating back to the same topic of the creator's mentality.

During the time period this poem was written, religion was extremely present in people's lives. This poem shows the belief the people had in religion and the questions they had for the God they worshiped.

The tiger is a symbol of evil or the devil. The narrator questions why the creator would create an evil creature which in turn asks why evil itself was created. There is mention of a blacksmith in the 4th stanza. The blacksmith can be related to the creator or to God, further emphasizing the theme of religion.

The Tyger is a beautifully written poem questioning the presence of evil. Everyone interprets poetry differently, but I believe that the poem is trying to show that there are necessary evils in the world that allow us to experience the beauty of the good in an entirely different way.

What do you think of the poem?? :D
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

This was one of my favorite poems of William Blakes, along with the artwork he did for it. If I remember correctly "The Lamb" is the counterpart to this poem. He had a lot of poems that went together showing innocence, and then showing as you said the presence of evil. It's been a while since I have read either of his books I have...I may need to do that.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
fav_author_id: 2399

Post by VanessaB16 »

literarycat wrote:This was one of my favorite poems of William Blakes, along with the artwork he did for it. If I remember correctly "The Lamb" is the counterpart to this poem. He had a lot of poems that went together showing innocence, and then showing as you said the presence of evil. It's been a while since I have read either of his books I have...I may need to do that.
This is one of my favourite poems too!! And yes, you are right, The Lamb is the counterpart to this poem. One of Blake's books is titled "Songs of Innocence and of Experience." Obviously, The Lamb belongs to the Innocence section and The Tyger belongs to the Experience section. :)
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Yes I couldn't remember the second book. I have them separately innocence and then experience both with the artwork. A good thing that came from college required reading. :-)
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Keith80 »

We should be thankful that clever people such as Blake felt impelled to write down their thoughts for us to consider. Blake's "Tyger,Tyger burning bright" has made for an unforgettable image on many, many minds, and will doubtless continue to do so. It is curious that religion has been the cause of so much worthy output. I think of J.S. Bach communing with his God as he wrote the Art of Fugue or the Mass in B, or much of Milton's poetical works.

Return to “Poetry & Music”