Is Rap Poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Saoirse200
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saoirse200.html
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons

Re: Is Rap Poetry?

Post by Saoirse200 »

I think some rap is poetry,it depends,poems don't have to rhyme:)
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I agree that it should be considered poetry but most of it especially today is just terrible. Back in the 90's I actually liked rap, now I cant even listen to it.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I think that all lyrics and this includes rap is poetry as they follow the same rules or they would not fit with music
jessimarimudo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessimarimudo.html

Post by jessimarimudo »

I would say rap is poetry .. poetry put to music
I like rap I like to read rap lyrics without the music
doesn't sound like jibberish that way
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

So true jessimarimundo
Jo90

Post by Jo90 »

I believe rap is poetry, regardless of how good I think it is. There are some people that are definitely easier to identify as poetry, like Scroobius Pip for example. He's a UK spoken word artist, who works with a dj, Dan Le Sac. They work they bring out together is wonderful.

My favorite poetry, is the same as my favorite rap. Full of of anger. In the same way that I love Blake, or Ginsberg, I love Public Enemy and El-P.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

It all depends on who writes it. It can be crap, if the person isn't meaning to write something poetic. Fo shizzle.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Starmy

Post by Starmy »

It is BASED from poetry so I think yes. Of course some is utter garbage! But yes, there are some great rap artists out there who are uniquely artistic.
mrtip365

Post by mrtip365 »

This is kind of a tricky question rap can be poetry but not all rappers have the right skills and intelligence to make it poetry. I would have to say rap is poetry of the ghetto.
TD Matzenik
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Too many
Currently Reading: Ulysses by James Joyce

Post by TD Matzenik »

mrtip365 wrote:This is kind of a tricky question rap can be poetry but not all rappers have the right skills and intelligence to make it poetry. I would have to say rap is poetry of the ghetto.
I pretty much said what I thought on the subject, but you have raised the possibility of Rap as a valid interpretation of social conditions. Could be, but I have yet to hear anything along those lines that did not seem like an excuse for an egotistical pose. You could include speech writing by the same definition, and indeed, some people do. The main problem with including rap in the art form of poetry is its esoteric nature. I should add that I do not have a particularly high regard for poetry in general. When I read some of it I find it like the lazy man's prose.
noahadams
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noahadams.html
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman

Post by noahadams »

Is this a trick question? Yes, of course it is, in the same way that all music is poetry.
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

Yes
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

Rapping (also known as emceeing,[1] MCing,[1] spitting (bars),[2] or rhyming[3]) refers to "spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics".[4] The art form can be broken down into different components, as in the book How to Rap where it is separated into “content”, “flow” (rhythm and rhyme), and “delivery”.[5] Rapping is distinct from spoken word poetry in that it is performed in time to a beat.[6][7]

Rapping is often associated with and a primary ingredient of hip hop music and reggae, but the phenomenon predates hip hop culture by centuries. It can also be found in alternative rock such as that of Cake and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Rapping is also used in Kwaito music, a genre that originated in Johannesburg, South Africa and is composed of hip hop elements. Rapping can be delivered over a beat or without accompaniment. Stylistically, rap occupies a gray area between speech, prose, poetry, and singing. The word (meaning originally "to hit"[8]) as used to describe quick speech or repartee predates the musical form.[9] The word had been used in British English since the 16th century, and specifically meaning "to say" since the 18th. It was part of the African American dialect of English in the 1960s meaning "to converse", and very soon after that in its present usage as a term denoting the musical style.[10] Today, the terms "rap" and "rapping" are so closely associated with hip hop music that many use the terms interchangeably.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

i think a large majority of rap consists of violence guns etc. but i know that not all of it does. it is just hard for me to look past that because i cannot hear what they are saying. I think it is poetry, yes, just not a form of poetry that i enjoy listening to
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

morganinga wrote:i think a large majority of rap consists of violence guns etc. but i know that not all of it does. it is just hard for me to look past that because i cannot hear what they are saying. I think it is poetry, yes, just not a form of poetry that i enjoy listening to
I agree, most of it is totally incomprehensible to me & seems too "up itself" & just doesn't seem to have a purpose other than to be offensive and vulgar ... and that doesn't take any talent.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Poetry & Music”