Sylvia Plath & Suicide

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Hailey Michelle
Currently Reading: The Razor's Edge
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-michelle.html

Sylvia Plath & Suicide

Post by Hailey Michelle »

Some of my peers/instructors dislike some of Plath's work/poetry because they think it "glamorizes" suicide (especially given the way she died). I'm a huge fan of her work (& currently halfway through her unabridged journals) and I think this is sort of an unfair judgement to make. Robert Lowell wrote in the introduction to Ariel: ""This poetry and life are not a career; they tell that life, even when disciplined, is simply not worth it." Any other Plath fans? What do you all think?
crain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crain.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by crain »

Plath captures the intensity of suicide in The Bell Jar, and reading it helps one examine her own psyche. I doubt that a mature, emotionally stable reader would find suicide to be glamorized in this work. Yes, it is realistic, and yes, it allures the reader into its bizarre darkness. But ultimately, most choose (and the emphasis is choose, as act of will) to avoid anything close to repeating Esther's fate.
Low Shin-Ji
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-low-shin-ji.html

Post by Low Shin-Ji »

Sylvia Plath's quite explicitly talks about it in Daddy. She clearly does not shy away from it and I have to say that I probably have to read more of her work to understand what you mean by glamorising suicide. However, in Daddy, her attempted suicide is talked about so much more purposefully and whimsically at the same time. It was as if she was determined to fight back but helpless at the same time. What I think, her poems really give to the readers, is raw insight into the workings of the mind. As crain mentioned, for those mature and emotionally stable, her work would add well towards a deeper understanding of the human experience.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Halley,

If you have instructors who feel Plath is "glamorizing" suicide I think you would do well to look for new instructors for they clearly lack the acumen and insight to be teaching Plath's work. You should ask your instructor if by this reasoning war stories are a glamorization of war, or if narratives by serial killers are a glamorization of serial killing. Seriously, I cannot fathom how some teachers are allowed to teach in the first place. We constantly complain about the deteriorating levels of accomplishment of our students ... is it any wonder when in SOME cases the teachers themselves need to go back to school? Please feel free to quote me to your instructor.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

DATo wrote:Halley,

If you have instructors who feel Plath is "glamorizing" suicide I think you would do well to look for new instructors for they clearly lack the acumen and insight to be teaching Plath's work. You should ask your instructor if by this reasoning war stories are a glamorization of war, or if narratives by serial killers are a glamorization of serial killing....
This, definitely.

I have definitely seen glamorization of suicide an depression (usually on websites dominated by teenagers, sorry to say), but Plath is doing no such thing. There is a world of difference between addressing a serious and painful topic in an honest manner, and glamorizing/romanticizing it (generally in a dishonest and clueless manner!) Plath confronts the horrors of depression, mental illness, and suicide, without sugar-coating them in any way.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

Plath's work is more about mental illness and the experience one can have of feeling both helpless and incredibly responsible at the same time. Suicide being glamourized doesn't look like that. It seems to be that someone who is considering suicide could read Plath and find a narrative explaining their experience and validating their consideration, but that doesn't reflect on the work itself. Simply because something is used for evil doesn't make it evil itself.
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
darlawonders21
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlawonders21.html

Post by darlawonders21 »

I think creative people in general suffer sometimes from depression more than people who aren't creative... To hold the burden and weight of an untold story inside you can drive a person mad... Many writers, like Sylvia Path, have committed suicide and I think it's linked to the amount of energy going through a creative person. As writers it's either get story out or go crazy...
The First Pancake
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-first-pancake.html

Post by The First Pancake »

Suicide is glamourous? Do they think the death of a person suffering from mental illness is funny? I think that is in poor taste to suggest that someone who committed suicide only did it for the-- what, Posthumous glory? Professors should know better than to minimize mental illness and write off someone's personal pain as imaginary. That is not only incorrect, but irresponsible coming from modern educators.

I think Plath's work is important, just as it is important to explore views and emotions beyond one's own limited experiences and capacities. For anyone who has felt crazy and then read their feelings validated in another, it is a comfort. She lived in a different time when there was a much more extreme stigma associated with depression than there is today. Not many voices were brave enough to be so honest. I really can't accept that in a time when invisible illness was so taboo that someone would expect to be romanticized in suicide, as though the act was premeditated solely for that end. Crazy.
em_77
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-em-77.html

Post by em_77 »

Sylvia Plath was an amazing writer and poet. Her novel The Bell Jar directly represents her own views of life and the prospects as well as the downfalls of suicide. Many see her glorifying aspects of suicide. She is however only expressing her views which should be respected.
keyana_taylor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyana-taylor.html
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by keyana_taylor »

I agree with you, I think it's unfair also. I feel like she was expressing how she felt and even in The Bell Jar you can see how her mental stability and her depression was always up and down like a roller coaster. It is after all her journal. Something that most people think is private and never expect to be sold in millions of bookstores around the world. She was just living her life the best way she could and expressing it exactly how she felt. I also feel like people that don't read a lot always come up with crazy ideas about books and what the other is doing or not doing. When you read alot, you can take the story for what it is and understand the meaning the author is trying to put out. Just like with 50 Shades of Grey. Everyone I know focuses on all the sex and the crazy things they do, but there's more to the story than that. As a reader that doesn't shock me because I'm use to it. I actually follow the story line of what the characters are feeling emotionally aside from the acts they take part in. I think the same can be said about Sylvia Plath. Aside from her suicide, it's really a book displaying the struggle of dealing with depression and how coping is a job in itself.
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Rebelpoet
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebelpoet.html

Post by Rebelpoet »

I think if you suffered the way she did, you would glamorize it because it's all you know and eventually it feels kind of cool. You have to roll with it.
K_A_T

Post by K_A_T »

As a writer Plath picked depression as an over-arching conflict experienced by every character in The Bell Jar. It's not just Esther who is dealing with deep sadness, but everyone else as well. The reader can make a list of obvious clues that she is everything but happy, but it's not so clear with the other characters because a) it's from Ester's point of view and b) they also don't deal with it the same way the protagonist does. I heard somewhere that depression is like the common cold; everyone catches it but everyone get's better on their own time. There are people who can't treat their own sickness and no matter how many vitamin C supplements or doctor visits they have they just can't stop coughing and sometimes all they want is for it to stop. In The Bell Jar it's not so much as glamorizing (making whatever appear attractive) depression/suicide but it's the different ways her characters display, withhold, and tackle their ailments. :techie-studyingbrown:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I adore Plath.
I guess there are many ways to read her work though, with the focus on her death or on her life.
katsarcane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by katsarcane »

Plath wrote in a realistic way. She took words and turned them into the music of literature. She wasn't afraid to speak of her suffering. I believe that to her writing was an outlet to let the world know that even though she was a writer she was still a person. She still felt things, she still felt pain. Her success didn't alleviate the stress or pain she had within her, but that's what made her her.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I think it's best not to shy away from the darkness that hides in ourselves and others, but there's a fine line between acknowledging it and feeding it.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Poetry & Music”