Does Music affect what you are Reading

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Hummingbird74
Bookshelf Size: 0

Does Music affect what you are Reading

Post by Hummingbird74 »

Does what you are listening to while reading affect the tone of the book. I find that if I am in a very happy music the tone of the book seems to feel lighter. Has this happened to anyone?
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I do not think this necessarily affect me. If I am listening to music with lyrics though, sometimes it distracts me. Then I have to read parts over. The music will set my mood, but it does not affect the mood of the book.
mazza27
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mazza27.html

Post by mazza27 »

There are some music that goes with what im reading whilst others can be distracting
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Absolutely. It's kind of funny actually when I'm reading something serious and my daughter has some funky Bruno Mars song playing, it completely changes the imagery in my head that goes with the scene in the book. Sometimes too the music will actually fit with the tone of what I'm reading and amplifies the feeling of the scene.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Music affects everything I do, but I can't really listen to music while reading, especially if I'm reading poetry. I'm a fast reader normally, and my brain doesn't compute that if I'm even slightly distracted by something else, I should look at words more slowly, so a page or two later I suddenly realize I have no idea what I've read lately! Oops...
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
arabella

Post by arabella »

Then I have to read parts over. The music will set my mood, but it does not affect the mood of the book

emma

-- 31 Mar 2015, 01:32 --

Then I have to read parts over. The music will set my mood, but it does not affect the mood of the book

Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

Yes! It makes me not able to read at all! I find myself singing the song and rereading the same line a dozen times. However my husband will wear his headphones while reading..... I need absolute silence!
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
mjandrews11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjandrews11.html

Post by mjandrews11 »

I definitely think that whatever I am listening to affects what I am reading. A lot of times, for me, I will remember a book better when I listen to music at the same time. Then, every time I listen to a song that I listened to while reading a book, I am reminded of the book and the emotions I felt while reading it.
OvErBookeD
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-overbooked.html
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
Reading Device: B00G2Y5YIG

Post by OvErBookeD »

I definitely have music playing in the background when I read, and sometimes catch myself changing a song if it doesn't match the emotional context of what I am reading.
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I don't think so. For me the music is just background noise that keeps me attentive to my book.
Nabilah_reads01
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabilah-reads01.html

Post by Nabilah_reads01 »

I can't really listen to music with words while I'm reading. If it's really slow classical music that's on the background without lyrics I can still read. Otherwise it just distracts me.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I don't spend a lot of time listening to music while reading. I'm the very few instances where I do, it's usually instrumentals. Lyrics would be too distracting, I think!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Eevvee5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevvee5.html

Post by Eevvee5 »

Generally, the mood of the music influences how I feel towards what I'm reading. If the music is happy I tend to lean towards the happy side and vise versa.
Grey_Angel

Post by Grey_Angel »

Definitely, I love playing a CD and reading a novel. The music enhances what I am reading, I feel as if the singers words are the characters. It brings the characters and setting to life for me. Later on, every time I listen to the CD I think of the novel and feel connected to the characters as if the life experience was my own.
Bookworm17
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm17.html

Post by Bookworm17 »

Song with lyrics affect my reading but song with just instruments help me remember part of the book and it reminds me where I was when I read it. There is a song called "Let it Be" by Blackmill Ft. Veela and it's in the dubstep genre but is actually quite contrary to most dubstep music,it's calm and sets the mood for you to read. I can remember the book I read when I was listening to the song too and where I was, the book was "Sinner" by Maggie Stiefvater and I was in my grandparents bedroom since they were out of town and it was a quiet place to be at the time. So music is actually quite helpful (to me) for memory.

Return to “Poetry & Music”