Your Most Loved Classical pieces...

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Your Most Loved Classical pieces...

Post by suzy1124 »

You can! find a pretty girl to teach you...

Listening to Leontyne price all morning...Caro Nome, from Verdi's Rigoletto...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

When I was about tweleve years old, my mother went on an kick where she would listen to Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture," on the record player(!) and it really grew on me. I also like Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty Waltz," and I really appreciate how Walt Disney incorporated the tune into the movie. It brings back memories of being a carefree child with big dreams.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Well said LivreAmour!

Four Seasons Vivaldi...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Enesco's Romanian Rhapsody turned up full volume to scare the hell out of your neighbors.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Barcarolle, from Tales of Hoffman , by Offenbach...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Un Bel Di Vedremo from Puccini's Madame Butterfly is definitely up there on my list...
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

As is the Aria from Madame Butterfly ' One Fine Day '

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Fantasia on a Theme by Ralph Vaughan-Williams--this song is the reason why I believe in an afterlife--it takes me there
Pavane by Gabriel Faure
Concerto in F Major (particularly the third and final section) by Gershwin
DATo

Post by DATo »

True story with accompanying video.

The family of the renowned pianist, Vladimir Horowitz, was dispossessed by the Russian Revolution and lost everything. Horowitz vowed never to return to Russia. As his fame grew the Russians became aware of the magnificence of Horowitz's piano interpretations. They also knew his story and the fact that he had been a personal friend of Sergei Rachmaninoff and Alexande Scriabin when he lived in Russia - their two most famous modern day composers.

In 1986, in the closing days of Horowitz's life, he decided to return to Moscow to play a concert in a gesture of reconciliation and world peace. News of the concert spread though it was "officially ignored" by the Russian state. Lines began to que overnight as the tickets for the concert became available and it was soon sold out.

The final selection Horowitz played as an encore (link to actual performance below) was from Schumann's Traumerei ("Songs From Childhood"). The day World War Two ended Russian state radio played this piece over and over and over without pause. Russia had lost 20,000,000 people in the war. This piece of music had tremendous emotional meaning to the people sitting in the audience though a western viewer would not know that. The emotional reaction of the crowd, including one man openly weeping, was, I'm sure, an indication of the crowd's memory of that storied radio broadcast ... as well, perhaps, of Horowitz's own "memories of childhood" when he lived in Russia.

Now you know the story, and here is the video ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7ncjhSqtk

From the same concert ... "heavy metal" for the classical crowd ... Scriabin Etude Op 8 No 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHKRuxiIKiU
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

DATo wrote:True story with accompanying video.

The family of the renowned pianist, Vladimir Horowitz, was dispossessed by the Russian Revolution and lost everything. Horowitz vowed never to return to Russia. As his fame grew the Russians became aware of the magnificence of Horowitz's piano interpretations. They also knew his story and the fact that he had been a personal friend of Sergei Rachmaninoff and Alexande Scriabin when he lived in Russia - their two most famous modern day composers.

In 1986, in the closing days of Horowitz's life, he decided to return to Moscow to play a concert in a gesture of reconciliation and world peace. News of the concert spread though it was "officially ignored" by the Russian state. Lines began to que overnight as the tickets for the concert became available and it was soon sold out.

The final selection Horowitz played as an encore (link to actual performance below) was from Schumann's Traumerei ("Songs From Childhood"). The day World War Two ended Russian state radio played this piece over and over and over without pause. Russia had lost 20,000,000 people in the war. This piece of music had tremendous emotional meaning to the people sitting in the audience though a western viewer would not know that. The emotional reaction of the crowd, including one man openly weeping, was, I'm sure, an indication of the crowd's memory of that storied radio broadcast ... as well, perhaps, of Horowitz's own "memories of childhood" when he lived in Russia.

Now you know the story, and here is the video ....
Wow... That's incredible. Horowitz's interpretive art is one I greatly admire. I didn't know this story. It gives so much more meaning to the music. Thank you for sharing, Dato. :D
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Sammamy318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammamy318.html

Post by Sammamy318 »

I love Danse Macabre. Not only is it beautiful over all, but it tells a story.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

Overture to the Flying Dutchman (Wagner)
Schumann's song cycle 'Dichterliebe'
Quartet Soave il Vento from Mozart's Cosi fan Tutte
Humming chorus from Puccini's Madame Butterfly
Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

and much much more!!!!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Rondo Alla Turca by Mozart
Water Music by Handel
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@DATo again, I say unto you, thank you!! I was glad to read that again.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Kotabear18

Post by Kotabear18 »

One of my favorites is one my high school band performed, Beethoven's Egmont Overture. It's an amazingly upbringing but deep piece. It fills you up with this incredible feeling of peace at least it does for me. :)

Return to “Poetry & Music”