Preferred Poetry Styles

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Preferred Poetry Styles

Post by lovelyreader21 »

I'm interested to see what styles of poetry you prefer to read and write (if you write) in. I am fond of poetry that rhymes, freeverse, and nonsense poems when I'm reading, as well as stories in the form of poem. My preferred writing style is free-verse and rhyming. Do you have any preferences? If so, why?
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I liked closed forms of poetry, such as the sonnet and the sestina. The latter is incredibly difficult to write (I've never tried it) and requires a lot of skill. Often they give the poet an opportunity to flex their poetic muscles because it's not a form you attempt lightly. The former has of course many classic examples and I've written a few myself. I'm not a great writer, but it was fun nonetheless -- certainly one of my favourite forms. Blank verse can also be great. In the hands of John Milton it achieves wonderful things!
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Free-form prose. And I detest rhyming poems.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I write all kind of poetry. I have written free verse, Saraband, Acoustic, Shakespearean sonnet, Haiku and many others :-) But I prefer free verse :-)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Comedic poetry: " Candy is Dandy but Liquor is quicker "............Ogden Nash...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Free verse is the best because it gives us room for our creative ideas.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Bigtwoheartedriver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigtwoheartedriver.html

Post by Bigtwoheartedriver »

ryanj1 wrote:I liked closed forms of poetry, such as the sonnet and the sestina. The latter is incredibly difficult to write (I've never tried it) and requires a lot of skill. Often they give the poet an opportunity to flex their poetic muscles because it's not a form you attempt lightly. The former has of course many classic examples and I've written a few myself. I'm not a great writer, but it was fun nonetheless -- certainly one of my favourite forms. Blank verse can also be great. In the hands of John Milton it achieves wonderful things!
The closed forms are a lot of fun. I think the tight parameters of these forms lead to more creative thinking. There is a lot to be said about trying to create something under certain constraints. The poet Donald Junkins said "Form means nothing / It's just the pressure we put on a poem" and I think that leads to a proper understanding of form. It is supremely important because for a poem to be a poem, it must have some kind of pressure hedging it in. Without some kind of pressure a poem can only be a lump of words (coal) and never a finely crafted piece of art (diamond).

I love poetry as a whole and try to take in as much as possible. My most recent favorite poets are Heaney, Robert Lowell, and Pablo Neruda. I really appreciate the way the three of them find ways to make their forms feel loose and natural.
petermark

Post by petermark »

there are many poetry writer i like but some are my best writers.
aliba12

Post by aliba12 »

I love free verse! And if they were written time ago ;)

Return to “Poetry & Music”