What Instruments Do You Play?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Gondo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gondo.html

Re: What Instruments Do You Play?

Post by Gondo »

I have recently began to learn to play piano. Piano music is quite beautiful and touches my soul in a spiritual way :)
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I've played the recorder, clarinet and flute but I haven't taken music lessons or been practising regularly for a few years now. I'd really like to get back to playing the flute at some point though and I also would like to play the piano more since I was never able to take lessons for it before but it was the instrument I was most interested in (my mother encouraged me to focus on the clarinet and flute instead).
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
shivi1321
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivi1321.html

Post by shivi1321 »

trumpet (and i suppose recorder!)
indiereader101

Post by indiereader101 »

Sadly, none. Although I'd like to learn how to play the guitar (acoustic).

-- 17 Apr 2015, 22:34 --
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I played the clarinet for 6 years in school. I always wanted to play the violin but my school didn't have string instruments in music class. I would have liked to learn the piano too, but never did.
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
mjandrews11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjandrews11.html

Post by mjandrews11 »

I am 20 and have been playing the piano since I was 3 years old. I also play the violin and have been for 6 years. I have also been singing for as long as I can remember. :) A few years ago I taught myself the very basics of guitar, but I am far from good at it. :)
kriver

Post by kriver »

I played banjo off and on since 1986. Now I want to learn guitar. The trick is get a really good instrument you will sound better. Even when your just learning it will be easier to play learn and stay in tune. A cheap guitar or banjo is harder to learn on. The action (fret height are usually bad to start with ( very high) making it almost impossible to chord correctly. They are always out of tune. all the time. So you spend all your time trying to tune it not playing it.

-- 19 May 2015, 19:28 --

If you want to learn guitar check out Zager easy play guitars. They are good for learning easy to play they don't hurt you fingers. they offer lessons too play by ear. for banjo Murphy Henry is strictly by ear. Pete Werrnick both have videos. I learned a lot from Pete's series. all you need to learn is about 5-10 chords a couple of strumming or picking patterns change smoothly between chords hammer on's pull off's and keeping the time. Then you can slow jam at bluegrass festivals all over the US and Europe. It really is easy you just learn chord positions. No music theory or scales or any technical stuff to play guitar, banjo, ukulele, or mandolin. It isn't complicated at all. With just three simple chords you can play hundreds of songs that sound good too. NOT the Mary had a little lamb type songs either. But really good songs that are fun to play. home spun tapes has video that you can learn piano by ear and lot of others too. Check the net for playing by ear stuff. If you really want to play you can find the way to do it on the net.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive been playing the banjo off and on for some years. Youre right, with just a few chords you can play lots of good music. You can easily play the same chords down on the neck so anyone watching will think you really know something. As Hank Williams once said about one of his band members, he must be good. he plays below the 3rd fret.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
AparisNedd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparisnedd.html

Post by AparisNedd »

In my childhood I played the guitar and trumpet although I am a novice at both.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

The pity violin. :eusa-violin:
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
marla latinakova

Post by marla latinakova »

Balalaika!
Kayo Smada
Currently Reading: Flora and Ulysses
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayo-smada.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Kayo Smada »

I actually have my degree in music. I play piano, sing, French horn, mellophone, and pit percussion (xylophone, marimba, cymbals, other random percussion). I also own an mbira, which is a great stress reliever (YouTube some mbira music if you're not sure what it is). I bought a mandolin and was trying to teach myself, but it's not going that great. My soft piano fingers don't like being callused! Oh, and not to mention I've been composing music since I was 13.
Michelle Liew
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-liew.html

Post by Michelle Liew »

I have a passion for the piano. I am a jazz/blues pianist who loves old-fashioned swing.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

Michelle Liew wrote:I have a passion for the piano. I am a jazz/blues pianist who loves old-fashioned swing.
Wow, that's right up my alley!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Drakex1686

Post by Drakex1686 »

Like many American kids I played a recorder in school when I was very young, but I was terrible at it... Eventually I wanted to try my hand at a trumpet, and again failed miserably. These days I occasionally play a few notes on my tin whistle, but to this day I can't for the life of me find time to actually learn how to play it nicely and worthy of a song.

Return to “Poetry & Music”